Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth

de Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth.

K-2585/G-ANKT (formerly T6818) finished in the colours of the Royal Airforce Central Flying School Aerobatic Team, The Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden Aerodrome, Bedfordshire England. 2018

I have to say, that this was a really great kit to build, with all the parts going together well. It's only the second Bi-plane I've built and has taught me quite a lot, things like proper planning of the build, I do tend to just bang on and I don't always listen to myself. I painted and decaled (is this a word ?) the wings long before they were needed and changed the sequence of the plans, so I could rig it before the top wing went on. Airfix would have had me put the top wing on before rigging, this would have made a fiddly job ten times worse.

The decals were some of the best I've applied, nice and thin with a very clear carrier film and they were an excellent fit.

I used SBS Models PE set SBS48063 for the rigging, first time I've used this type of rigging, (last time I used 'infini' elastic cotton) this PE rigging was quite easy to use and was good practice for the Tamiya Swordfish I have in my stash, which also has PE rigging. The control cables for the rudder and elevators, I used fine brass wire. I also used the Eduard PE set ED491073 for seat belts etc.

For the colour scheme, I sprayed the whole aircraft with Vallejo 77.660 Gloss Black Primer followed by a couple of coats of Vallejo Metal Colour 77.716 Semi Matt Aluminium. Once this colour had hardened off, I masked the fuselage and sprayed a couple of coats of Tamiya Gloss Red. I then sealed with Pledge Floor Shine and applied the decals. Then sprayed with Humbrol Clear Gloss Varnish. I've not weathered this aircraft as I think it would be keep very clean and tidy, given who owns it.

So that's about it. I think this I one of the nicest kits I've built, and although not perfect, I'm pleased with the result. I hope you enjoy looking at the photos, thanks to @Troy Smith

for the link to the  backdrops, I think this one sort of fits.

Jon

p?i=c2896bd5583db03994a31bd861f745ba

p?i=cf633bbe7acdf91965cab37725773a0e

p?i=43728430bafdd8c260a813bf395a63a8

p?i=6cb993e03e991fc1ec249702808a75bc

p?i=312a12e0cd532494748020d1272f4630

p?i=de2df5e8cd30c9fa4cdf5c0d3ff4eb9a

p?i=9607c7bc2ed2a478655b18f75526dcb3

p?i=19d0dda24607f136f2bbb475b537d925

p?i=2959473e7de0426009f12483b76ec392

p?i=122e5961c5a9ced66c6da7af6708f6d0

• Like 48

Very nice and to see another here just after I finished mine too!   I like the rigging but concerned in its use as can be seen on your fine model there appears to be a bit of a wobble or sagging going on.  PE rigging puts me off unless there is someone out there who can guide in application.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Very nice and to see another here just after I finished mine too!   I like the rigging but concerned in its use as can be seen on your fine model there appears to be a bit of a wobble or sagging going on.  PE rigging puts me off unless there is someone out there who can guide in application.

The sag on a couple of the wires happened after I attached the top wing, and the struts that the wire was attached to moved, a lesson learnt.

It’s because I cheated by attaching the wire to the struts before mounting the top wing. What I should have done was drill holes in the wings, at the wire location points, fitted the top wing and then attached said wire. But that would have meant doing the rigging in very small spaces, I know my limits.
Jon

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 10:01, Faraway said:

I hope you enjoy looking at the photos, thanks to @Troy Smith

for the link to the  backdrops, I think this one sort of fits.

glad the link was of use....  I spent sometime trying to find potential backgrounds before I ran across that site.  

good background image,  

p?i=de2df5e8cd30c9fa4cdf5c0d3ff4eb9a

though if you are going to carry on experimenting,  I'd suggest cropping the the image and use the top third,  and take photos from lower down, here;s you subject off wiki,  which shows what I mean,  unless the photographer is on some raised platform,  you tend to get a view like this.

800px-DH82A_Tiger_Moth_K2585_(G-ANKT)_(6

Anyway, model looks great,  and despite your previous comments about 'not being good' at photography,   the pics are great, apart from my angle comment.

There is a guide here to one way of doing this

a step up from my tatty card table..... 

For more ideas of model photography, look up the work of @PlaStix,   who knows more about photography as well, and also @russ c  who use bases and backdrop to great effect.

Reminds me, when I got my first proper camera, a manual SLR NIkkormat, which was 30 years old when I got it in 1995, I ran off a few shots of the only half decent model I had, which was the only one I'd completed in may years ( wasn't modelling at the time) 

I scanned some of the pics and sent to Aviation of Japan

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/11/troy-smiths-tamiya-148th-hayate.html

Just in the garden, but note the low camera angle, as my garden steps up

Ki-8419951.jpg

bear all in mind all I did was set the scene,  use the light meter and focus on these, I was learning how to play with the camera back then.   

the point and shoot digital I use now is laughably basic.  

Just suggestions,  but I hope you enjoyed results  of your photography experiments, I certainly  have,   and perhaps want to experiment further

Model is has come rather well too

:goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 3

@Troy Smith thanks for your advice. I will be playing about with different angles etc. In hindsight, I should have probably used another print of the backdrop and extended the concrete onto my grey tile. My camera does more then I understand (it’s probably more intelligent than me). The beauty  of digital is the instant results. I have to say, having the backdrop DOES make a huge difference.

Jon

16 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I have to say, having the backdrop DOES make a huge difference.

Good to hear.  Always seems a shame to see a good model photographed on a tatty cutting matt/paint splattered airbrush turntable/cluttered desk,  or even a garden table...    the background distracts from the subject, so even a really well done model just says model,  a little effort and, well, you now see why I on occasion nag folks a bit 

55 minutes ago, Faraway said:

My camera does more then I understand (it’s probably more intelligent than me).

Maybe it's me, the very first camera I ever had was a 110 cartridge type,  which was pretty crap.  it was 17 years later i got a proper camera,  then in 2004 I got to play with, and eventually inherited, a basic digital... 

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/concord/eye-q-4060af/concord-eye-q-4060af-review.html

I note that it wasn't cheap when new!

After having a few other digital cameras, got cheap or free,  and having various problems,   I had a search and got the Concord model up for a fiver posted on ebay.   From memory, the linked one I preferred, but it was a long time ago. 

Anyway, i liked it as for a point and shoot, I got more pics I liked than ones I didn't. ....   Amazing how quickly technology becomes 'obsolete' 

The viewfinder is not great, so not so easy to check your photos, but it doesn't eat battery power like some I have had, even with rechargeables that could a right pain.

Which is a long winded way of saying that a proper new modern camera can be quite baffling and takes time and effort to get the best out of it...while with one like the above I just snap away...  Not that I'm lazy or anything :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, Faraway said:

The beauty  of digital is the instant results.

Yes, and also to redo do if unhappy.    

And, I like seeing my work in a common context here.   Wish I'd had this when I first developed AMS in my youth.....   Stuff I kept from 'back then'  varies,  but the best bits are reasonable,  and there are things I could not do now,  mostly as old enamels really were good paints in the finish you could get, or maybe  just that back then I just did more..... 

cheers

T

• Like 1

Very nice Tiger Moth!! Got one in my stash that's now moved up priority for next build!

@Troy Smith pointed to a previous post of mine, but there's a bit more detail on the taking pictures on my website, including some notes on camera settings, here's the address if interested... https://www.vexillummilitaris.co.uk/?page_id=1299

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, CplPunishment said:

Very nice Tiger Moth!! Got one in my stash that's now moved up priority for next build!

@Troy Smith pointed to a previous post of mine, but there's a bit more detail on the taking pictures on my website, including some notes on camera settings, here's the address if interested... https://www.vexillummilitaris.co.uk/?page_id=1299

Your excellent photos give me hope, I shall start playing with my camera.

Jon

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

an amazing model. It looks perfect! Very nice!  Yes and concerning photography start playing with your camera. I am sure you will have a lot of fun!

i just finished my second one from Airfix. Here a poor photography. I will soon post more of it!

thx for sharing your pic‘s 

Andy 

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daedalus72 said:

Very nice Tiger.

Glad you got on ok with the etched rigging.

Tried it on the Tamiya Swordfish, and it didn't end well, the model being RSP for a variety of reasons!

I have the Swordfish in my stash, with the PE rigging. Can you share your problems ? Or are they too traumatic. 😜
Jon

Edited by Faraway