1/350 HMS Abercrombie

thekz

Hi there,

I want to share with you guys the photos of my model of HMS Abercrombie monitor depicted as she looked like in the summer of 1943 during the Sicily landings.

I used the plastic from Trumpeter kit, photoetched parts from Microdesign (ramps, ladders, hand winches), figures from Eduard, and Oerlikons from Alliance.

I had neither ability nor desire to use a lot of additional parts, so I modified the provided 4'' AA guns mounts, pom-poms, lifeboats, and life rafts by my own hands for so much as my limited talents made it possible. Also I made by myself the figures of gunners for the twin Oerlikons and watch officers on the bridge, at rangefinders and in directors (it would be very hard to make the figurines from Eduard to sit or to stand in dynamic postures).

In the end of the day, the process of building this model gave me a lot of fun during the quarantine this spring and left me with a thought about modeling a more elegant ship next time.

I'll be happy if you guys provides any kind of feedback (even the most non-constructive critique), but can't pledge to be always polite in my answers ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 70

I think you have done an amazing job, both with the ship (it is stunning) AND with the sea setting - it looks fierce and dynamic.

The ship is full of excellent details, great craftsmanship.

Superb build - well done sir!!

• Like 1

A wonderful job on that in every aspect, though I'm not sure Abercrombie was ever capable of generating such a dynamic wake as your beautiful seascape shows. I'm a big fan of monitors & your build catchs the look of them beautifully. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beautifully done and extremely realistic - I love the series of drains along the hull side pouring out water - how did you do that?

Would also love to see a tutorial on how you scratch built the figures.

:clap:

• Like 1

Thank you for compliments;)

Foam and flows of water are made by small sintepon threads and various transparent glues. In this work I`ve used three types: white glue (PVA), "liquid Nails" glue and polymeric assembly adhesive. The last glue gives most impressive results. I`ve bought it in Russia and don`t know about english analogues(

spacer.png

spacer.png

Figures in process and using tools - on photo ( ruler - in milimetres, not inches!)

I wish, you`ve understood my poor English😏

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 20/11/2020 at 20:48, stevehnz said:

A wonderful job on that in every aspect, though I'm not sure Abercrombie was ever capable of generating such a dynamic wake as your beautiful seascape shows.

Steve.

Maybe if she was going downhill?

Superb build BTW - and yes the figures are incredible (literally)

• Haha 1

Thanks for the explanation on the water effects and the figures though having seen that you've carved them from sprue/runner, I almost wish I hadn't asked.  It makes me realise that there's no way I could achieve that effect.  They are truly superb.

I really wouldn't worry about about your English.  I learnt Russian for 4 years at school and then another 12 months at Naval College before qualifying as a Linguist and your English is way better than my Russian!  Mind you I've probably only used it a handful of times in the past 30 years.

About the figures from the sprue.

I advise everyone not to be surprised, but to try. I myself thought it impossible still six months ago)

The main thing is not to try to make the whole crew in one week😊

Edited by thekz
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...