Tamiya 1:20 McLaren MP4/5B Senna

Matt_

I managed to snag this for a really good price on Ebay about 4 or 5 years ago and I've slowly been adding some extras to the stash over time. I think it's finally time to get cracking. :penguin:

spacer.png

It's older brother will have to wait for a little longer.

spacer.png

Kit was all as-new and sealed in the bags. Looks good.

spacer.png

Extras are the Top Studio cockpit set...

spacer.png

Top Studio detail-up set...

spacer.png

Hobby Design decals and tyre mask...

spacer.png

And some Gravity Colors paint. Which from a test spray, matches the Hobby Design decals nicely.

spacer.png

My current plan is to build 'ready-to-race'. So bodywork on, and keep the detailing predominantly on the outside.

Time at the bench is quite sporadic, and I'm _very_ slow anyway, so this make take some time. 🐌

• Like 3

Been having a look through the instructions for kit and detail parts to acquaint myself, and there seem to be some parts on the detail-up set that don't appear on the Top Studio instructions.

spacer.png

They're obviously Dzus fasteners. But it's not clear to me where they are intended to be fitted. I'm assuming they are supposed to be the bodywork clips such as in front of the upper wishbone, and in front and below the 'E' by the wing mirror in this picture. Though the do look a bit large for this.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-mclaren-mp4-5b-front-left2-honda-collection-hall-84410129.html

• Like 3

Looking forward to following this one, I've collected all the Senna cars apart from the Tolemans and various upgrades along the way as well

Not got round to starting one yet though, this might give me the momentum to push on :) 

Just getting into car modelling and was looking at the Tamiya Mclaren MP4/8 to build as the Donnington car. Wow are they expensive now! 

Looking forward to following this and 'borrowing' a few tips!

Edge

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

This should be a good build to watch. Funny about the absence of the cigarette marketing campaign decals on the box top.

No Marlboro decals in the kit either. Many places around the world were banning tobacco advertising in the 90s. Guessing it would limit Tamiya in what markets they could sell to. The cars did run with a livery like that at some race. British GP, fo example:

https://www.motorsportimages.com/photo/1016152413-formula-one-world-championship/1016152413/?race_type_id=0&search=mclaren 1990&p=23&is_popup=1

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looking forward to following this one, I've collected all the Senna cars apart from the Tolemans and various upgrades along the way as well

Not got round to starting one yet though, this might give me the momentum to push on :) 

I've been paralysed with procrastination about them. Have to start some time though.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Just getting into car modelling and was looking at the Tamiya Mclaren MP4/8 to build as the Donnington car. Wow are they expensive now! 

Looking forward to following this and 'borrowing' a few tips!

Edge

That makes two of us then. Let's hope someone drops in who knows what they're doing! 😅

6 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Stunning - possibly the prettiest F1 car of the modern era.  Love the detail parts as well - I keep looking out for one of these at something remotely resembling a sensible price :) 

Completely agree. Personally, it's my favourite. Probably followed by the FW15C (not with the double wing). Maybe some of the 50s or early 60s cars are in the picture for best looking ever. But the early 90s was the golden age for looks in the modern era. Though I do realise that for me this has a lot to do with my own experiences of F1 as a kid. I could walk to the maggots gate from where I lived, and I went to most of the races from 88 to 94. Somewhere I have an old photo I took of Senna's car parked-up after the race. IIRC I paid about £45 for mine (it was originally £9.99 from Ace Models, Fountain Avenue, Dudley). I think the 4/4 was about £60, but when it came I discovered a set of Studio27 carbon decals in the box.

Welcome along everyone.

• Like 2

Hi @Edge and @dannybgoode

Currently they are all out of production unfortunately at present, that's why they are up for silly money by people exploiting the situation 🙄

It took me a while to get all of mine at the right price, but they are still out there occasionally if you persevere

The MP4/6 FUJIMI 1/20 F092133 is currently available new for under £50 if you look around, if you're interested I'd try and grab one before they disappear again :) 

Ian :) 

Like a couple of unsure teenagers, this week has seen lots of fiddling about and not much action.

Test fitting of parts has shown that, as happens to most of us, time has not been kind to the bodywork. The nose doesn't sit properly in any direction.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've tried a few times to tease her back into shape with a hot bath and some thinning of the underside of the nose where it fouls on the tub, but It's still not where I want.

I think the only option is going to be some serious rhinoplasty. 👃🔪 This could be make or break the build. As I'm not a qualified plastic surgeon, hopefully the outcome will not end up resembling Gérard Depardieu.

As you can also see in the last pic, I chopped off the front wing flaps ready for the PE parts.

I also chopped the rear wing support off the gearbox as that is going to be PE, and got on with filling some ejector pin marks.

spacer.png

Hopefully some more interesting progress to report soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The biggest bugbear of this era of Tamiya F1 cars is the bodyshell fit.  The kits are generally supremely well thought out and go together with ease... until it comes to the damned shell.  I don't think they were much better new from memory - always required a good amount of teasing it to actually have an acceptable fit.  I am sure you will get there though :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I'm still plodding along here and there.

I may have got a little carried away with the razor saw. 😬

spacer.png

I cut the nose off the body shell. Added the small sliver of bodywork that goes under the front wishbone and steering arm with some plasticard.

Cut a kerf into the main shell in order to adjust the rake of the nose in front of the cockpit. This was strengthened with some .025 on the underside and filled with sprue-goo on the top before sanding. 

The tub was also split at the nose and parts built up with plasticard.

The locating points for mounting the suspension arm parts where ground off the inside of the tub, and I cut the arms off the parts where they exit the bodywork so they can be mounted with pins later. I also cut the small tabs from the floor that form part of the tub sides where they sandwich the suspension arms. They have been glued onto the tub sides so they can be filled and smoothed.

I also cut the slot that locates the nose bodywork to the very front of the tub, and the underside of the nose has been filled and I have added a locating tab that marries to the slot.

Still a long way to go with this work, but I thought I would share progress so far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2