Liquid Putty

fishplanebeer

Have just bought (should be 'invested' given the price) in a jar of Liquid Putty as it seems on the face of it to be ideal to fill very fine joint gaps and also gaps between the canopy and body of the aircraft but wondered if anyone else has used it and if there are any pitfalls to avoid?

Regards

Colin.

• 1 month later...

I haven't used Liquid Putty, but I have used Mr. Surfacer 1000 on my Hurricane build. To apply it to the model, I used a sewing needle with the eye cut back, to form a small vee. After giving the Surfacer a good shaking, I dipped the vee end of the needle into the fluid and put it on the model, in the places where it was needed. 

27870158927_5892864c01_c.jpg

27870158947_fd0e5bbe2d_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Instead of liquid putty I use white glue. It is sold in Germany under the name of Ponal, actually meant to glue wood. White glue can be applied with a toothpick or a fine brush, can be removed or cleaned with water and is dead cheap. I always use it to glue canopies, but I also use it to fill gaps between canopy and aircraft. When dry it can be removed with a sharp knife without damage to the surface.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made good experience with Gunze Dissolved Putty - diluted with Gunze thinner, it's perfect to fill small gaps and crevices.

I use a brush to apply the creme-like substance.

Capillary action draws the putty into the recesses, any residue can be wiped off with a cotton bud, or sanded off when dry.

For clear parts, I agree with @VolkerR. to use white glue or similar products.

Edited by Roman Schilhart

10 hours ago, Filbert_Wang said:

@dogsbody
May I ask how do you go about getting a smooth finish with the Mr Surfacer? Ive been trying to apply with a cotton bud but it quite often leaves an uneven finish. Does the V-end on the needle help to achieve that?

600 grit sandpaper and Squadron sanding sticks, mostly the Fine ( grey ) one.

50376118646_1cc20426b1_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 1