BAE Systems Hawk 100 Series 1:72 Airfix

Julien

BAE Systems Hawk 100 Series

1:72 Airfix

spacer.png

The Hawk 100 is the next generation Hawk following on from the original Hawker Siddeley Hawk. The new hawk has more advanced avionics, the provisions for more weapons, all contained in a redesigned fuselage with a new wing. The Hawk 115 (CT-155) was ordered by the Royal Canadian Air Force, the Hawk 127 by the Royal Australian Air Force, and the Hawk 128 (or T.2) by the Royal Air Force. 

The Kit 

This is a re-issue of Airfix's 2008 new tool with extra parts to reflect the Hawk 100.  The kit arrives on five sprues and a clear spure. Construction starts with the cockpit. The tub is one part into which the instrument panels fit and the one part seats. A bulkhead goes on the back followed by one at the front to which the nose gear leg attaches (leave this off if you are going to do the model wheels up). Two pilots are provided if you wish to put them in your model.  The cockpit and exhaust can then be fitted into the fuselage and it closed up, Airfix advise adding 5 grams of nose weight.  Now the fuselage is together the instrument coaming and HUD can be fitted along with both intakes. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

We now switch to the main wing  There is a one part lower wing with left and right uppers, before they go together the modeller will need to open up the holes for the pylons. On tope two fences are fitted and underneath 3 flap tracks each side are fitted. The wing can now be joined to the fuselage, and the tailpanes added. On the fuselage the top insert can be fitted and then the canopies.  At the rear of the fuselage the air brake can be fitted in either the closed or extended position, The main gear is also now made up and added along with the gear doors. If the model is to be built in flight then airfix provide a set of single part doors so the modeller does not have to fit all the multipart ones. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the underwing/wing-tip stores Airfix provide four sidewinders and two tanks. These can be made up and added as needed.  To finish up the models a few aerials are also fitted along with the nose piot tube. 

spacer.png

Decals

The sheet is from Cartograf so there will be no issues there, the sheet gives markings for three aircraft;

spacer.png

• No. 76 Sqn RAAF, Williamstown, NSW, Feb 2003.
  • No. 419 Sqn RCAF, CFB Moose Jaw, 2016 (WWII Anv Scheme).
  • No. 25(F) Sqn, No.4 Flying Training School, RAF, RAF Valley 2018.

spacer.png

Conclusion

Its great to see Airfix now offering the latest version of the Hawk in 1/72. Highly recommended. 

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice review Julian and a kit I’d like to acquire one day. Just noticed a silly error with the 25 Squadron decals, the Roman numeral ‘XXV’ on the vertical fin tip fairing reads ‘VXX’ on the port side? Have they stopped teaching our kids Roman numerals over the years?? Besides that a cracking decal sheet. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice review Julian and a kit I’d like to acquire one day. Just noticed a silly error with the 25 Squadron decals, the Roman numeral ‘XXV’ on the vertical fin tip fairing reads ‘VXX’ on the port side? Have they stopped teaching our kids Roman numerals over the years?? 

Looks like it :( 

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

That virtually makes the RAF version unusable as a 25 Sqn aircraft in that livery.

I have to agree, however careful slicing a dicing of a spare set of decals could restore the error, just need to source another port side decal? 

The additional irony with this is that Cartograf is an Italian company.... they obvious missed this 'Roman' Numeral error as well! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Cartograf will print what the customer sends them, it's not their job to check the accuracy of the artwork, only that it will print correctly.

The error is down to Airfix proof checking. The artist has drawn the Starboard side decal and mirrored it to get the port side decal, then forgotten to mirror the XXV text again so it reads correctly. 

Disappointing as it would be the only scheme I'd use from the kit decals, but could be corrected with a bit of judicious slicing and dicing.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2021 at 8:25 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice review Julian and a kit I’d like to acquire one day. Just noticed a silly error with the 25 Squadron decals, the Roman numeral ‘XXV’ on the vertical fin tip fairing reads ‘VXX’ on the port side? Have they stopped teaching our kids Roman numerals over the years?? Besides that a cracking decal sheet. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Wow, very poor that Airfix managed to let that one slip through the net.

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Cartograf will print what the customer sends them, it's not their job to check the accuracy of the artwork, only that it will print correctly.

The error is down to Airfix proof checking. The artist has drawn the Starboard side decal and mirrored it to get the port side decal, then forgotten to mirror the XXV text again so it reads correctly. 

Disappointing as it would be the only scheme I'd use from the kit decals, but could be corrected with a bit of judicious slicing and dicing.

Indeed, The same is true of printers generally, I've had flyers and posters printed in the past for events I helped organised, they always make it very clear proof reading of the master art/design is the customer's responsibility.

Edited by -Ian-