Curtiss CW-20

Tom R

I have inherited a Williams Curtiss C-46 and I am wondering how much effort is required to make the BOAC wartime CW-20. I believe the main visual difference is the lack of the 'crease' in the fuselage but what else?

Are there any good pictures of the BOAC plane around? Thanks for any help.

I have the same kit.

As far as I can tell, BOAC got the prototype, that as you mentioned had no "crease".

If you take the time to do an Internet search for the plane's registration, G-AGDI, you will find a number of images and information on it.

There are dozens upon dozens of interesting, colorful, civil liveries for it, without the need of modifying the kit, unless of course you want this specific version, for which there are aftermarket decal sets.

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/CurtissC_46.html

• Like 1

Is this of any use?

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.238174536.9585609

Curtiss CW-20A/C-55, G-AGDI "St Louis", of BOAC is refuelled at Gibraltar. "St Louis" ran regular supply flights between Lisbon, Gibraltar and the besieged island of Malta from 1941 to 1942.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.3483000.958560942

You would need to change the main landing gear to a two-leg type.

Chris

4 hours ago, Moa said:

IThere are dozens upon dozens of interesting, colorful, civil liveries for it, without the need of modifying the kit

Hello - Yes I have built some Latin American ones a few years ago. I also have the decals for this one, hence the interest. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is this of any use?

Curtiss CW-20A/C-55, G-AGDI "St Louis", of BOAC is refuelled at Gibraltar.

You would need to change the main landing gear to a two-leg type.

Hello - Yes, great help thank you!

• Like 1

The engines are also different.  G-AGDI had Twin Cyclones which had two rows of 7 cylinders per row. The kit's Double Wasp has two rows of 9 cylinders each so of distinctly different appearance. I think they are of greater diameter to the prototype's too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://legendsintheirowntime.com/LiTOT/C46/C46_index.html&ved=2ahUKEwiX38_ot6XtAhUOesAKHf73BwsQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2Y8eTHLzKgmJOfWscErDTN

"Legends in their own time" has quite a bit on the C46 including the twin tailed CW20, which doesn't seem to have the crease. 

Is that the same airframe with a new single tailfin fitted?? 

• Like 1

All CW-20/C-46 had a 'crease' in the fuselage, it was a structural characteristic of the two-lobe design originally intended for pressurization.  The crease is at the point of the floor.  Some of the early examples had a fairing covering the crease but this was soon omitted as it provided no discernible drag reduction. 

Edited by Yankymodeler
correct spelling
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...