Help with ID of 1917 uniform

Suddensky

Hi there,

I'm normally to be found lurking around the WWII and later aircraft areas, but a friend has asked me for help with an identification of a uniform from a picture found in some family papers. The photo is dated 1917 and was taken in Alexandria. My initial thoughts were cavalry/lancers or RFC, but someone else has suggested Royal Marines, saying the lapel insignia resembles the globe and anchor. In case it is the RFC I thought I'd post here. Have also posted in Figures.

y4mWWV_K8c4Rbu9ZGjm5uxFatfiW9HCeT2nFdpEB

And a close up of the lapel insignia:

y4mPCZyD8qY8EIzq4N-tEuChXAqTDAO8Cc8eGeAW

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Peter

10 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Have you tried posting the image on the Great War Forum (www.greatwarforum.org)?  I'd bet any amount of money that one of the experts on there could answer your question very quickly.  

No I haven't! Didn't even know it existed. Will do that now.

Many thanks,

Peter

12 hours ago, Suddensky said:

No I haven't! Didn't even know it existed. Will do that now.

Many thanks,

Peter

I joined a couple of years ago and have found the people there very friendly and immensely helpful...a bit like Britmodeller only focused on the First World War and without the models (so, perhaps, not like Britmodeller at all, really). :)

On 11/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, Suddensky said:

Hi there,

I'm normally to be found lurking around the WWII and later aircraft areas, but a friend has asked me for help with an identification of a uniform from a picture found in some family papers. The photo is dated 1917 and was taken in Alexandria. My initial thoughts were cavalry/lancers or RFC, but someone else has suggested Royal Marines, saying the lapel insignia resembles the globe and anchor. In case it is the RFC I thought I'd post here. Have also posted in Figures.

y4mWWV_K8c4Rbu9ZGjm5uxFatfiW9HCeT2nFdpEB

And a close up of the lapel insignia:

y4mPCZyD8qY8EIzq4N-tEuChXAqTDAO8Cc8eGeAW

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Peter

An officers uniform, givaway was they had lepels and worn with a collar and tie. Other ranks had tunic buttons upto the neck. All regimental officers rode horses so johdpurs/ riding boots were standard uniform for all officers in the British Army.  RFC officers mainly wore their parent regimental uniforms, not the RFC uniform, but if in the RFC you would expect  the tunic to have a flying /observers brevet sewn on.

Selwyn