F1 1985

Sabrejet

For the benefit of @Vicarage Vee, @Tim R-T-C, @roymattblack and @Windy37 (apologies if I missed anyone) I thought I'd post some of my old F1 photos. All were taken with a very cheap Zenit SLR, which gave results which ranged from 'marginal' on days when it was cloudy, to 'not bad' when the sun was out. So here's the first lot, from the 1985 British GP at Silverstone. Oh to have a digital camera back then!

The obligatory Senna shot:

001 Silverstone 85 (11)

Then another young lad who looked bound for greatness: the late, great Stefan Bellof, in one of the last outings for a DFV-derived Cosworth:

001 Silverstone 85 (10)

He's behind you! Niki Lauda getting a lift after his car expired.

001 Silverstone 85 (12)

Eddie Cheever's Alfa going the same way.

001 Silverstone 85 (9)

Parc ferme 1: Tyrrell, Tyrrell, alfa, Ligier, Renault and at the back Arrows, Brabham and Ferrari.

001 Silverstone 85 (8)

Parc Ferme 2: Senna's Lotus.

001 Silverstone 85 (16)

I have some of the 1985 European GP at Brands Hatch which I will sort out and post soon.

• Like 11

Thanks for the tag, those are some great photos, I love this period of racing and vintage candid photos are fascinating to look through, hope to see more.

If I may cheekily contribute, I was only born in '85 but do have this shot of the Martin Brundel Tyrrell 012 in 1985 scheme, at Silverstone in 2012.

8792122785_63dbb74f08_z.jpg

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 3

Nice photos of a memorable era. Got every one in 1/43 kits (been collecting them since around then....), although unfortunately only the Lotus is MFH. Most of the others

need, errrrrrr.............a lot more work, if I can ever face it. 

• Like 1

I also happened to be at the Brands Hatch tyre testing day,this is the nearest I could get to Ayrton Senna. 

spacer.png

Not sure if it's 85 or 86,think it is 1986. My kids were convinced his name was Elton Centre..........

This is 1985,Stefan Johanson posing by his Ferrari and Keke Rosberg.

spacer.png

Last of all I managed an Indycar race in Toronto as well in 1986- Michael Andretti's March. I think he won that one,I can't remember now! 

I have built this car in 1/43. Hope these are ok,they are photos of my photos! Chris.

spacer.png

• Like 5

More great photos-thanks men!

I know we always think that Ayrton died doing what he loved -  but I could never get past what those terrible last seconds must have been like. Nor the live images I watched on TV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kitkent said:

I also happened to be at the Brands Hatch tyre testing day,this is the nearest I could get to Ayrton Senna. 

spacer.png

Not sure if it's 85 or 86,think it is 1986. My kids were convinced his name was Elton Centre..........

It's '86: that year's Lotus had a steeper angle on the roll hoop braces.

• Like 1