Airfix 72nd scale Jet Provost T3

Hi All,

Just finished my first jet and tricycle undercarriage kit. The Airfix Provost T3 for a 4 year old boy whose great grandfather flew them. I didn't do any weathering and made a mistake with the nose weight even though i did the gravity test. Also, i did the usual bad job on the canopy(i can never get that right). I had a lot of trouble with the leading edge decal as it broke up even after Hooke sent me replacements(which was very kind). I ended up using vallejo 71082 as i thought that was the nearest match.

Hope it's ok,

Cheers,

Rodders. 

whaV2my.jpgIlUKVgo.jpgKz7OKGs.jpg3ey0Ga5.jpg

• Like 34

Nice Provost, share your pain regarding canopy painting, being far from a ‘boy’ l only model 1/48th or larger and nearly always use pre cut masks, poor old eyes can’t cope with the gentleman’s scale anymore! 

• Like 1

A mix of white glue with some food coloring added and just enough water to thin to the desired consistency will give you an easy to use canopy mask that removes easily when painting is done. The only recommendation would be to cut along the canopy frame with a sharp hobby knife to make sure you get a sharp edge along the frame. That said, the model looks very nice and I too have struggled with pre-cut masks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's turned out really well, painting canopy frames really benefits from using some sort of mask but you've done a decent job freehand. As you found out the hard way, tricycle gear models always need more nose weight then you think so cram as much in as you can. 

I think nearly everyone has had trouble with those decals! Certainly can't see any difference between the decal and paint touch-ups.

We all keep learning and are our own worst critics but I hope you enjoy whatever you build next.

Steve

• Like 1

Nice work on the Provost, I too think painting canopies is APITA, If you use acrylic paint you can use a cocktail stick to scrape off the excess, not perfect but not to bad if you don’t look too close. My other method is to use strips of decals.

Wulfman

Edited by Wulfman
  • Like 1

The fact that you have beaten those dayglo decals into submission says volumes about your ability and perseverance! My old-school canopy masking technique involves cutting the tape into thin strips on a glass slab to get a clean edge and to bend more easily around curved panels. Have also used the white glue method and liquid masking fluids, but still prefer the tape. Gets tedious on canopies with a lot of framework, but I do all the horizontal frames first, then all the vertical ones. (I'm retired, so have plenty of time.) You need to do a HP Provost to go with this one!

Mike

• Like 1

Lovely job. You've gotta love the Airfix JP in this colour scheme. And as has been said by others you've done well with those leading edge dayglo decals. Having built one myself i know they are very very difficult. Good effort on the canopy painting, it's my achilles heel too and i haven't really perfected a method yet. I do prefer hand painting and with something like Vallejo you can easily scrape away the excess with a cocktail stick (like a previous post also mentioned). That's my go to option more often than not.

Edited by binbrook87

That looks fantastic!  I've got Airfix's Vampire T11 kit with four acres of those same day-glow decals....  And also some Xtradecal ones in easier to apply schemes!  Your tenacity has paid off very well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...