Planked effect

Hi,

I'm working on the Italeri 1/35 S-38 Schnellboot at the moment and looking for some advice.

The boats were built wood on alu frame and pictures show a very subtle planking effect on the hull under all the paint/filler.

Any tips on how to replicate something like that?

I was thinking masking tape strips applied in the planking pattern, skipping a few here and there.

Then spraying primer, removing the tape and sand until the effect is as subtle as I want it.

Any other ways to Rome?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Then spraying primer, removing the tape and sand until the effect is as subtle as I want it.

This is a tried and tested method used quite a lot by aircraft modellers to simulate ribbing on fabric wings. I'd add to your process that you give it a light, gentle sand after removing the tape to rid yourself of the paint build up at the edges. Depending on how pronounced an effect you're after, you could also add an appropriate thickness of tape (the plate) and just paint over it, often used by ship modellers.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

I've seen many people using tape and primer to great effect. I once used 0.13mm styrene on a resin hull and it was a disaster. On a plastic hull, perhaps, if the glue does not melt the styrene.

• Thanks 1