Corsair F4U-4 & A6M2-b 1/72

Hi all

New member, long time lurker.

Sorry I'm not quite sure on the etiquette here so forgive if I get this wrong.

So after all my readings, I decided to try a number of weathering techniques in one go (I kept reading less is more and really tried not to get carried away, but its so much fun)

Anyway here we have my Revel Corsair F4U and Airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, I've always loved these two so built them together.

I've still a lot of learning to do and there are a few mistakes here, I cracked the cockpit on the F4U and lost/broke bits of the undercarriage flaps on the Zero. Also the Zero seems to have gone really dark green after the first coat of Future?
This was also the first time I'd tried hairspray chipping and salt masks, but am generally please how that turned out.

I also tried the sprue stretching for the antennas but could not get it to work, they kept snapping, then I had a though, I just extruded some back filament through my 3D printer and kept pulling till it was thin enough :)

Thanks for any tips, I really enjoyed myself.

Ps Trying github as a picture host, I think its working?

IMG_20201116_132531_1.jpg

IMG_20201116_132136_1.jpg

IMG_20201116_132251.jpg

IMG_20201116_140325.jpg

Edited by mouse808
  • Like 37

Great to see your work.

Your experiments with the hairspray technique look very effective, especially for the Zero.

As another contributor said, a post-WW2 Corsair might not look quite so worn out; but the depiction does look convincing to the eye, nonetheless.

:thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Welcome! Two great models finished extremely well.

Seeing the two together imn that first picture made me realise the Corsair was quite a bit bigger than the Zero.

Terry

During the build I went and checked the measurements, as I also couldn't believe how much bigger it was. The prop is enormous compared to the Zero.

Thanks for all your kind words 

• Like 1

Nice builds both, very nice indeed. While the weathering might be slightly overdone in the Corsair, there were plenty of subjects that it would have been spot on for & your technique looks pretty good to me so go for it if that's your thing. :)

Steve.

Great job on these! I especially like the Zero, I think the aotake color in the wheel wells is spot on! If the end result makes you happy, then that's a perfect model in my book. I had the same problem with the green turning a shade darker after gloss coating on a Japanese build. What I do now is lay down lighter coats of the color, keeping in mind the darkening effect after gloss + weathering. Hope that helps!