Hawk T.1 Airbrake colour?

Olmec Head

I am building a Red/ White FTS Hawk in the Revell 1/72 Hawk GB.  I am not at all au fait with the Hawk and I am not sure what the internal airbrake colour is please.  Based on the colours in the kit (which is the Red Arrows version) I assume that the airbrake and the fuselage inset where it retracts into are the standard fuselage colour.  Is that the case please?

The Red Arrows all have the interior of the airbrake and the fuselage recess in the external red colour  (sometimes with a message in white inside the door such as "HI THERE!"

The current black Hawks also have the interior of the airbrake and the fuselage recess in the external black colour.

Both these schemes have the interior of the inboard main wheel bay door cover in the exterior colour, but all other gear doors are the same off white/light grey as the undercarriage wheel well interiors.

A non extensive search for early red/white/grey FTS Hawks hasn't turned up any views of the airbrake interior, but they invariably show the main wheel door interior to be off white/light grey, so by correlation, the interior of the airbrake and fuselage recess would be off white/light grey as well. Other possibilities in decreasing order of confidence are red airbrake interior with off white/light grey fuselage recess, or both interior and recess in the exterior red colour.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The Red Arrows all have the interior of the airbrake and the fuselage recess in the external red colour  (sometimes with a message in white inside the door such as "HI THERE!"

The current black Hawks also have the interior of the airbrake and the fuselage recess in the external black colour.

Both these schemes have the interior of the inboard main wheel bay door cover in the exterior colour, but all other gear doors are the same off white/light grey as the undercarriage wheel well interiors.

A non extensive search for early red/white/grey FTS Hawks hasn't turned up any views of the airbrake interior, but they invariably show the main wheel door interior to be off white/light grey, so by correlation, the interior of the airbrake and fuselage recess would be off white/light grey as well. Other possibilities in decreasing order of confidence are red airbrake interior with off white/light grey fuselage recess, or both interior and recess in the exterior red colour.

Thanks very much Dave, it gives me some ideas, I might go with the easy exterior all one colour.

Found a picture of the RAF St Athan Sta Flt Hawk, in the Red/White/ Blue scheme with the Black Dragon down the side. The air brake door internal surface is Red. However on the Red/White scheme Swiss jets it appears to either White or Light Aircraft Grey.

Edited by scotthldr

As memory serves, the nosewheel in the wrong position is is not a problem. They are fully castoring, like supermarket trolleys. There is no nosewheel steering on T1's & T1A's. Steering is done by braking one wheel or the other. Its back to front because the cab has pushed into position by hand with out using a towing arm or steering adaptor.  You just need to push the nose to one side to make the wheel follow the axle. There is a centralising cam on the nose leg that will place the training link in the correct position when the weight comes off the leg. How do I know? Ex Chivenor ASF & Hydraulic Bay rigger.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phantomphixxer said:

As memory serves, the nosewheel in the wrong position is is not a problem. They are fully castoring, like supermarket trolleys. There is no nosewheel steering on T1's & T1A's. Steering is done by braking one wheel or the other. Its back to front because the cab has pushed into position by hand with out using a towing arm or steering adaptor.  You just need to push the nose to one side to make the wheel follow the axle. There is a centralising cam on the nose leg that will place the training link in the correct position when the weight comes off the leg. How do I know? Ex Chivenor ASF & Hydraulic Bay rigger.

I understand the castering and no nosewheel steering. I did two tours at Chivenor on 151 then 92 sqn. I just never saw one like that before. I can only assume it was pushed back by hand. not with a towing arm.

Exactly right! When I was on VASS at Chivenor, we would put visiting Hawks (Brawdy, Valley, BAe) into the hangar after the squadrons had stacked. Very little space, like a carrier hangar deck, with not much room for a tractor & towing arm to move around in. It was quicker & easier to get it on the shed central line then push it in by hand, 1 or 2 guys on each wing. They are not big or heavy! You had to have someone on the brakes in the cockpit AND enough accumulator pressure to make the brakes work! 
We had to push a Phantom in one of the RUBB’s at Stanley, to get the main wheels out of a hydraulic fluid leak, & that was “all hands on deck!” time!  No tractor (Unimog) available, as recovering a sortie from the arrester wire. This why we had navy style battery deck handlers in the sheds at Coningsby.

I hope that you are having a great time in Vegas. Never managed a Exercise Red Flag visit ☹️

• Like 2