-

radish1us

H

Edited by radish1us
  • Like 12

I absolutely love this! Superb workmanship leading to a spectacular model.

15 hours ago, radish1us said:

any questions about anything on the model, them PLEASE ask.

Okay, here goes:

1. Acrylic for the fellies - can I ask how? 

2. The spokes look superb, but there are lots of them! I presume they are individually carved from timber, but what kind of wood and what process did you use to shape them?

3. Are the spokes simply glued to the fellies and hub?

4. What type of wood did you use for the body?

As a longtime plastic aircraft modeller I wanted to try something different, so through summer I acquired an old Picador Pup hobby lathe system specifically to try building horse-drawn farm vehicles from plans, and I've started to gather the brass rod and strip that I'll need. Unfortunately the ancient electric motor that came with the Picador parts expired before I could really get going, and an unexpected change to my professional routine hasn't helped. Once I acquire a decent motor, though, I'll be getting stuck in! 

I'll be starting with the simple wain from the plans in John Thompson's book, but one day I hope to be able to produce halfway decent farm wagons. In the meantime, though, I've just found my new favourite BM model.

15 hours ago, radish1us said:

sometimes life just gets in the way of a decent hobby, eh.

Oh boy, does it ever!

Jon

7 minutes ago, Jonners said:

1. Acrylic for the fellies - can I ask how? 

2. The spokes look superb, but there are lots of them! I presume they are individually carved from timber, but what kind of wood and what process did you use to shape them?

3. Are the spokes simply glued to the fellies and hub?

4. What type of wood did you use for the body?

I've just found your gun & limber thread, @radish1us, which answers most of my questions, so I'll be giving it a good looking-at!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Jonners

FYI under the ‘vehicles’ ‘discussion’ @radish1us has posted a very good summary of three different ways he has used to make horse-drawn carriage wheels. I am not sure how to post a link at the moment as I am using a phone not a computer right now but I’m sure you will find it quickly  enough.

Steve

• Thanks 1