1/72 Hawk T.1, 208 Sqn (home sweet home) + FINISHED +

OK, initial "on the sprue" painting.  I rarely make 1/72 kits, so it is revelation how few sprues there are in this kit.  Detail looks reasonable though, with the sidewall detail popping out with dry brushing.  The MBs look ok as well.

_gMaV5m-LRRc2L9iBUEhfMtIuQit75hWlPRgsfLw

I did say this would be out of the box, but as this will eventually be a gift to another ex-208 friend, I have ordered a tuned brass nose probe to try and add some longevity to the final result.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

This is progressing rapidly.  Just about to close up the fuselage after working on the cockpit last night.  The cockpit seems pretty good out of the box - just added a bit of a oil pin wash to help extenuate the detail.  Will varnish once the fuselage is closed up, which will eliminate the grey "tinge" from the Payne's grey there at the moment.

9X3N1YpIPZu6ovr9M-g--KjJy1vlmxFx5mRp6fOK

RujgWXR-90UKKffSb2dqigORwnuZj-xyqFQCoPzk

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 2

Quick update on this.  Build progressing fast - I forgot how quickly 1/72 models go together, and I have to say this little Revell Hawk is a real gem.  Good old Halfords Grey Primer down, and happily no imperfections to touch up.

hygU1U92z6jqo-3lz6vUod3Vbfbdjc-vLvRDnxjz

Have seen an online article describing using Tamiya acrylic black thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner which seemed to produce a lovely gloss black finish, so will try that here.  I have gone with our usual TWU load out, so just outboard pylons and the gun pod.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 1

So, the black is down but the finish is somewhat disappointing.  I suspect the paint mix was a bit thick.  This will smooth out with the final varnish after the decals, but not something I've seen before:

W_WeKDKZvAjleN4OQVwivcp7Aaky2ORDz7AMMmYP

Should get decaling finished this evening, then it's down to work with micromesh cloths then Alcad Satin varnish to sort out the final finish.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 3

Now, that's better.  Full decal set on, and with some varnishing and sanding done, the finish is much more satisfactory.

qxe1-9LEcHn3U_P5Cm2vLIRHvSdMNbrl3IJuiCHi

As you can see from the surrounding paraphernalia, I m just about to unmask the front canopy, and if that's fine, I will start adding all the delicate/fiddly bits.  I have already painted and weathered the wheels, so  with a fair wind this might even be finished this evening...

Thank you for looking,

Icarus

So, on reflection (no pun intended) I wasn't happy with the semi-matt finish, so have glossed up the paintwork to be more representative of a display aircraft.  This faffing around meant I didn't get a chance to add the fiddly bits last night, so will do this tonight.

JmAuMlUJnIhFw0VXyc0D2rCh-aA9CfZzzt9zGApY

Aim to finish tonight.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 1

So, typically, on the final run for this one of the main wheels shot off the sprue, never to be seen again.  I had to wait for a replacement resin set to arrive before completing this, but we're there now.  All done.

YjcKfkeGQB1fvGUmtiXm5htLaHMWbNxBzR15ZbIT

qH9k7JuXS1Yf1MCeuuqLapNtKco3GqBuoARBUhnv

Ironically given how much trouble I had with the initial black coat, this is almost too glossy in these photos.  Looks appropriate in daylight though.

Will put some better photos in the Galley,

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

• Icarus changed the title to 1/72 Hawk T.1, 208 Sqn (home sweet home) + FINISHED +