F-6B Jeanie, AX-K, 107th Tac Recon Sq / 67th Tac Recon Grp.........looking for info!

BlueNosers352nd

Feel like tackling another Mustang.  I have the decals for this aircraft, but they are missing the camera mission scoreboard below the exhausts and the pilot and crew chief name.  So I guess I get to try and make those myself.   Anyone know anywhere to dig up the Crew chiefs name that's blocked?  My searching so far has turned up nothing.  Guess if push came to shove I could just leave it off, or make something up.

Side note:  The Superscale sheet, which touts Super Quality - Super Accuracy, has 3 schemes on it.  1 - P-51B, 1 - F-6B and 1 - P-51C.  The little decals for the aircraft type are all "U.S. ARMY P-51D-15" with a 1944 serial number.  :doh:

50618083637_a611e57040_b.jpg

F-6B AX-K 67th Tactical Recon Group by Jim Fox, on Flickr

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Side note:  The Superscale sheet, which touts Super Quality - Super Accuracy, has 3 schemes on it.  1 - P-51B, 1 - F-6B and 1 - P-51C.  The little decals for the aircraft type are all "U.S. ARMY P-51D-15" with a 1944 serial number.  :doh:

I noticed that decades ago unfortunately.  They have put out sheets in the past for aircraft for which there are no models or that would required a lot of work.  They had one sheet for F9F-8s when the Hasegawa kit first came out, but all of the choices were for F9F-6s which is quite different from the -8.  Super Accuracy?  Not even!

Later,

Dave

6 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

That's a nicely unusual subject, a P-51A airframe with Malcolm hood and recon mods.  I have lots of questions: what are those much lighter blotches on the dorsal area?   Do other photos of this bird exist?  What scale and kit were thinking of using?

Wonder if it's remnants of the DDay stripe removal?  The Accurate Miniatures boxing of the F-6B has decals for another plane from that squadron (AX-B) that I've seen done with faded stripes on that area.  Not sure I've seen a photo of the real one.

p5319780-jpg.234566

I know of no other photos of the aircraft in my original post.  I will be using the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 F-6B boxing, like Boman posted above.

6 hours ago, Boman said:

This boxing has the mission markings you're looking for; 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/accurate-miniatures-480010-f-6b-tac-recce-mustang--247739

Well if it were a snake it would of bit me!  That's the boxing I am using Boman and it's already in hand.  Wasn't really looking at that detail originally so when I saw it on the picture is seemed new to me.  :dunce:

13 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

what are those much lighter blotches on the dorsal area?

Looking at the wingroot, I can see a line of darker paint, and there doesn't appear to be any evidence of invasion stripes on the upper wing surface that is visible, so I am guessing maybe the stripes on the upper surfaces have been removed, which could also account for the lighter patches on the upper rear fuselage? Also, the gaiters over the oleos are very interesting, as I don't recall seeing them on a Mustang before!

Mike

Been playing with making artwork today.  I think I am pretty darn close, especially for 1/48 (they'll be so small).  The Superscale Sheet I have, actually has the camera markings on them, just not enough of them.  They are really hard to make out on there too.  I still don't know the Crew Chiefs name and rank, so based on the RTENS seen to the right of McAllister's head it leads me to believe it was MARTENS.  Open for any thoughts, or places to find real name/rank.

Looks like I got to tweak the C in CAPT just a touch and connect it.

50638146858_62ce960819_o.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Just remembered/got around to checking this thread - there's another photo, with no heads in the way, but I don't know if it'll zoom up enough.  Note also that he think Jeanie is 'H', rather than 'K'.  I'd be interested in getting a copy or two of the decal you come up with!

Thanks for the link.  It does get very blurry when zoomed in.  Who knows on the H or K.  At first I though that little stub was straight like an H, but the more I look at it the more I really don't know.   This serial number doesn't show up in Joe Baugher's list of serial numbers either, jumps from 6170 to 6177.  I still go time though, only working on the cockpit right now.

The picture in the link provided by Gingerbob has been published in "P-51 Mustang in color" published by Squadron Signal in 1982.

Unfortunaletly, enlarging it doesn't provide a definitive answer, but I would go too for Sgt Martens as the crew chief (of interest, the pilot's name is not the same on this later picture)

dlFpEIW.jpg

The code letter is more likely K (...or R...),

OMxtAFu.jpg

Laurent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1