-

radish1us

-

Edited by radish1us
  • Like 24

Wow, magnificent work. I thought the unpainted model was already beautiful and then came the pics of the painted model... First class craftsmanship. 

1 hour ago, radish1us said:

for a forum that is stuck on just 'assembling' pre-made plastic bits.

However, I do feel I have to correct you on that assumption. I think you should take the time to browse through the forum and you'll see some outstanding scratchbuilding projects. 

Sure, most of us are "just assembling" but there are other geniuses at work here. 

For starters: 

• Like 4

Nice work.

However I have to say that I completely agree with @JeroenS statements. 

You obviously have not looked around this forum in any depth.

I find your comment 

6 hours ago, radish1us said:

Suppose this stuff is a bit far to radical, for a forum that is stuck on just 'assembling' pre-made plastic bits.

Is rather flippant and disparaging of the work of many members of this forum.  

You have access to lathes and milling machines and probably other equipment that are way out of the budget of many folks here. 

This is a hobby after all, and hobbies are supposed to be fun.

At one end of the spectrum, some people obtain enjoyment from assembling, some people get enjoyment from modifying/detailing, and at the other end of the spectrum some folks get satisfaction from scratchbuilding, and there's everything in between. 

A lot of folks make do with what they have and what they can afford. I've seen some amazing work on "just assembled pre made plastic bits" as you put it. Just because someone doesnt have the tools to turn a brass gun barrel or whatever does not lessen the enjoyment of the hobby or the appreciation I have of the skill and effort they have put into their model.

The resourcefulness of some of the members here is astounding. They may not have all the latest and greatest engineering gizmos, but can produce works of art as good as the next guy.

• Like 2

Absolutely stunning work.

I'm sure you didn't mean to cause any offence or bad feelings but as someone who has been a modeller for over 50 years and worked as a professional model maker creating many conversions and complete kits from scratch I learnt many years ago that this is a multi-faceted hobby with no rights or wrongs. I still scratchbuild and do decal artwork for my own modelling interests as well as building straight from the box plastic kits and thoroughly enjoy both. As said above not everyone has access to the equipment you, or I, have but also not everyone wants or is able to invest the time and money to gain the necessary skills to be able use such equipment. Most modellers are perfectly happy just assembling plastic kits, after all it's their money and time they're spending, equally there are some very talented modellers on here who regularly take basic kits and turn them into detailed masterpieces.

As @keefr22 said this is model engineering which is by definition very different from plastic kit building.  It would be very easy to suggest that 3D modelling isn't true model making but it's just another aspect of our shared hobby.

Please do keep sharing techniques and showing your finished work/construction photos as they are appreciated. 

Steve

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Incredible. A beautiful model and some top drawer engineering to boot.

Not everyone can do this stuff, but horses for courses. I'm happy dabbling with pre-made plastic parts with no desire to go further than that! (Though like to think I go further than just assembling).