1/35 aircraft for a diorama?

BringUpThePIAT

Hi all, 

Wondered if you could advise on whether there is such a thing as 1/35 aircraft? 

I’m a 1/35 military modeller, thinking about a diorama “somewhere in France” with a Luftwaffe flak detachment of a 37mm and 20mm teams set up, having an ammo delivery, Kubelwagen, half track etc, while the rest of the lads sit around playing cards etc. I’d like to model an FW-190A or BF-109G taxiing past them, canopy open, pilot giving them a wave etc which would make it a really interesting scene. 

Do such aircraft kits exist? Any hints, recommendations? 

OTOH, Monogram once made a fairly extensive line of 1/32 AFVs, I recall a "Flakpanzer Wirbelwind" among their number.  They were/are not detailed to modern standards, but at 1/32 your aircraft options would be vastly expanded and you could use Airfix multipose figures (if you could find them).

How close to an AA emplacement would aircraft realistically be allowed to taxi?  My guess is there would be quite a bit of distance required for safety reasons, probably more than would be feasible for a diorama of reasonable size.  Germans being German, there must have been a rule written down somewhere so everyone could follow it precisely.

A Bf 109G-6 in 1:1 = 9.02m

A Bf 109G-6 in 1/32 = 28.1875 cm

A Bf 109G-6 in 1/35 = 25.7714 cm

A difference in length of 2.4161 cm. in the two models.

Noticeable? probably not to most modellers and certainly not to the general public viewer of your diorama.

I say go with 1/32 as it will open up your choice of aircraft available.

You can mix 1/32 and 1/35 figures, the 1/32 would represent "big guys" and the 1/35 "little guys". Just remember that big guys and little guys would carry the same size gear and equipment in real life, use weapons, webbing etc all in one scale.

I'd use 1/32 aircraft, as Red Dog says above, most folk won't be able to tell . . .

If you do a quick Google search for FW190 and Tamiya Dragon Wagon, you'll find a number of Dioramas mixing 1/35 and 1/32 aircraft.

The FW190 D9 looks a little large/long, but I think you'd get away with it with the shorter nose and tail of an A8, say. 

Trick is to find larger figures, such as the older Verlinden range or possibly Alpine, as they come out a little on the large size. 

The other way would be to use forced perspective, which is a whole different game, put to good use while filming Hobbits at a bar :D

5 hours ago, Red Dog said:

A Bf 109G-6 in 1:1 = 9.02m

A Bf 109G-6 in 1/32 = 28.1875 cm

A Bf 109G-6 in 1/35 = 25.7714 cm

A difference in length of 2.4161 cm. in the two models.

Noticeable? probably not to most modellers and certainly not to the general public viewer of your diorama.

I say go with 1/32 as it will open up your choice of aircraft available.

The difference in scales will produce a difference of 10% in length and some 30% in bulk.  If you think that something 30% larger will not be noticed in the setting, go for it.