Are Decal Designers any good?

OutcastJoel

25 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

A photo to treasure . I presume you took it ?

Gary . 

Yes I was a big Senna fan. Luckily have a few I took of him racing. Sadly (I now realise) I had the chance to meet him at Brands in '86 but I was more interested in getting to see the Brabham pit. Hey ho.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/17/2020 at 4:18 PM, OutcastJoel said:

Hello,

I have picked up the Belkits Metro 6r4 in the Rothmans livery however, the passage of time has meant that Rothmans has been replaced with "Racing".

A company called "Decal Designers" offer the decals required to reinstate the original and deeply unhealthy sponsorship but I have no idea how good they are and they picked an almost totally ungoogleable name so my usual trawling for reviews has failed utterly.

Has anyone used them, are they any good?

Back on topic and I see Spotmodels have Rothmans 1:24 decals in . Looks like they would do the job on the Mcrae Metro.  

Gary . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Do you have a link to them? Can't seem to find them at Spotmodel?

I got a new products notification regarding resin Metro wheels then scrolled down related products and the Rothmans decals are there.  

Gary . 

• 1 month later...

Just had my first experience of the decals.  Overall, I have to say that I am disappointed.  As has been previously mentioned, the carrier film is continuous and each part has to be carefully cut from the sheet.  So far, so good.  Unfortunately, the carrier film is really, really glossy, quite thick and, consequently, not very flexible.  Getting the decal to settle over anything other than a flat surface is very difficult.  They do not want to bed down over panel lines, or curved surface (not tried compound curves, but I suspect the worst).  I used Micro Set to try to bed them down and discovered that only a small amount can cause the ink to "bleed". 

All in all rather disappointing, and a great shame because they are well printed with good register, and cover some interesting subjects.

Trevor