Are Decal Designers any good?

OutcastJoel

Hello,

I have picked up the Belkits Metro 6r4 in the Rothmans livery however, the passage of time has meant that Rothmans has been replaced with "Racing".

A company called "Decal Designers" offer the decals required to reinstate the original and deeply unhealthy sponsorship but I have no idea how good they are and they picked an almost totally ungoogleable name so my usual trawling for reviews has failed utterly.

Has anyone used them, are they any good?

Hi, I have bought one set of decals from them for the Opel Manta Heat for Hire. They are nicely printed. The whole sheet is one and you have to carefully cut around each decal closely to avoid excess carrier film. They are coated in a clear coat across the whole sheet. I asked what type of clear it was and they said it was a "hobby clear" so I'm not sure if it's acrylic, enamel, lacquer or what? May make things difficult if you apply them and use a conflicting clear over the top of them. I personally think they are ridiculously expensive for what they are. They could be half price and they'd still cost a lot. I paid £28 for the Manta decals. I could get almost 3 sheets from Shunko or S27 for that price. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Or just use the 'racing' decal to depict a UK or German event? 

I must admit I'm going to add the Rothmans decals even though it never carried them for the Rac rally. I know that technically it's incorrect. But they look so much better than the plain 'Racing' decals..

• Like 1

I must admit, I have only seen them in Retro Race etc and at Prodrive's headquarters (as I wasn't around at the time). I didn't realise that cigarette advertising was banned that early in the UK.

I have now found the section of youtube that has all of the 80s rallies which I am absolutely loving. Group B are a bit cooler than the Citroen C4 and Ford Focus of my youth. 

Having seen Jimmy McRae in action, I am now leaning towards just using the 'racing' logo but I have to agree with @Steve Noble, it looks better with the Rothmans logo in full.

I think it carried them for only a couple of rounds on the British Open Championship. But the BBC wouldn't show the car at all on the TV coverage because of the logo's. They then switched to the Racing logo instead..

Edited by Steve Noble
  • Thanks 1

I think cigarette sponsorship in F1 was banned for UK events circa 1980, Germany too had a similar ban from around that time. McLaren in particular used either a series of lines or 'McLaren' instead of Marlboro. I think this related to televised events only, because many/most Group C races in the UK saw cars with Rothmans (Porsche), Silk Cut (Jaguar), Barclay (Porsche) etc sponsorship still applied.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Tommi Makinen's Marlboro backed Mitsubishi used Tommi to replace Marlboro in cigarette advertising banned countries . 

When they did the Monte Carlo Rally they used Marlboro on the car in the principality of Monaco itself and then removed them and replaced with 'Tommi' on the actual stages..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Noble said:

When they did the Monte Carlo Rally they used Marlboro on the car in the principality of Monaco itself and then removed them and replaced with 'Tommi' on the actual stages..

When Tommi won Monte Carlo with Subaru we stood and watched the mechanics replace the yellow bananas with the 555 logos before going to the finish ramp ! 

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I think cigarette sponsorship in F1 was banned for UK events circa 1980, Germany too had a similar ban from around that time. McLaren in particular used either a series of lines or 'McLaren' instead of Marlboro. I think this related to televised events only, because many/most Group C races in the UK saw cars with Rothmans (Porsche), Silk Cut (Jaguar), Barclay (Porsche) etc sponsorship still applied.

In case anyone is interested, the timeline for Formula 1 Grands Prix races in the UK where tobacco sponsorship of the race day cars went, came back, clung on and finally disappeared (untelevised practice and qualifying varied as did the team and driver uniforms/overalls) was:

Up to and including 1975, tobacco sponsors carried

1976 John Player British Grand Prix - cars carried cigarette logos, (although the JPS Lotus' didn't).  All cars carried them as appropriate in The International Trophy.  N.B. German Grand Prix, no cigarette sponsorship carried by cars, this appears to have started with the 1974 race. and the national TV advertising ban.

1977 John Player British Grand Prix -  cars carried cigarette sponsorship, JPS Lotus' did not (but may have had it on the back of the rear wing: can't find the photo I'm thinking of). Race of Champions, tobacco sponsors carried.

1978 John Player British Grand Prix - cars carried cigarette sponsorship, again the JPS Lotus' didn't but the drivers had the brand on helmets and overalls.  (same for The International Trophy)

1979 Marlboro British Grand Prix - cars carried cigarette sponsorship,  Race of Champions, not sure what Watson's McLaren carried, most probably Marlboro script.

1980 Marlboro British Grand Prix -  Ligiers carried Gitanes, but Marlboro-backed cars had 'barcodes'

1981 Marlboro British Grand Prix - No cigarette sponsorship on cars other than the Ligier-Talbots.

1982 Marlboro British Grand Prix -  As for 1981

1983 Marlboro British Grand Prix -  No cigarette sponsorship on cars, Ligier finally without Gitanes sponsorship. Race of Champions the same.

1983 John Player Grand Prix of Europe - As above

1984 John Player Special British Grand Prix - As above

1985 Marlboro British Grand Prix - As above

1985 Shell Oils Grand Prix of Europe -As above and tobacco companies no longer title sponsors of the races from here on.

The Tobacco Advertising and Promotion Act 2002 finally brought things to an end when the derogation for Formula 1 racing expired in 2005.

Group C followed with actual television coverage as the Jaguars became successful and raised the profile, 1988 I believe was the year that the branding was replaced.  I don't know about the rally scene in any detail though.

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Yet here's Senna at Brands Hatch in 1986, with full JPS colours. Why? Winner gets the satisfaction of being as trivia-minded as yours truly!

A photo to treasure . I presume you took it ?

Gary .