SM79 vintage. Good luck with the camo!

Evening BM’s, I’ve completed the port side of the aft interior tonight. I’ve also installed the clear parts, some of which do not fit very well. I had to add some stretched-sprue to the sides of them in the radio operators area as there were some gaps but hey ho, it’s an old kit. Next phase is to try and construct the frame which holds the ventral machine gun as I want be using the kit part as it’s pretty thick! Will have to do this on one side and align ready for joining the halves. I want to paint the interior before I do that so will be interesting!! Thanks for looking.

0-EEFC208-F239-48-E5-925-D-A70-A42-D074-
B71-E5-BD6-B405-4-E1-A-9659-29-ECAE6-D08
E5-A485-C2-F185-4-ABD-A478-F5-D43575-F11

• Like 13

18 hours ago, opus999 said:

That scratch building is incredible!

Thanks, Opus... I’ll ruin it with paint soon no doubt!!

6 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Bit of a scratchbuilding masterclass going on here, going to follow the rest of the build with interest! 

Really appreciated. I’ve never had anyone call my work a masterclass!! Happy to have you onboard.

4 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Some absolutely stunning work there buddy. 

Cheers mate, keeps me out of trouble.

Tuesday night, model night... after the obligatory Zoom calls with the extended family 😇

Tonight I built the ventral gun mount but decided to use the original mount part after all, but added to it with the framing I’ve seen on some pictures. This can be disconnected in part to separate the halves, ready for painting.

DAA25-B47-9530-465-C-B4-AE-07-F1-B784-CF
FB0-B3-D76-5947-4045-964-F-DDE9-CF68-DDB

I also added a tiny bit to the cockpit and continued mock fitting to ensure all is together. Had to do some minor adjustments but getting closer to the interior painting stage... thanks for looking.

• Like 8

Hello everyone, some progress made during the week on some further detail in the aft fuselage. I noticed that with the port door open, the gondola can be seen quite well so felt I had to detail that. I also added the strange slide looking thing with control leavers at the bottom of it, can’t find out what it is but haven’t invested a huge amount of time trying to, to be honest! Anyway, it resembles of sorts several photos I’ve seen of a static display example. I’ve finally got the base black on tonight to unify, I’ll then begin colouring grey and start the detailed painting. Hope you enjoy.

17-C63-E96-B85-F-41-DE-BDB2-3-E97634-A7-
1-F7-B1-A3-F-B535-49-BD-9-D88-5599-E5-CD
5-A45-DF23-9-DDE-4-E13-A56-B-8-AB42-E6-F
F70288-B7-1-C67-4728-89-AE-B9-CA431476-C

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, hope you’re all keeping well. Here’s a bit of an update on the SM.79. As my plastic butchery is confined to the man-cave (garage) and we seem to have hit an artic spell in the UK, I haven’t spent much time out there! However I have managed to get the interior painted and detailed, tonight I have flat coted and started cementing the interior, coming together now! Progress below. Hope you enjoy. Take care.

Blanket spray of XF-19 spraying down to retain shadows:

E8-E88-CB1-CDCB-4808-BCB1-D4-E5-D4764-D2
48-C15-B3-E-10-D2-424-F-9-F8-B-A6-E2-B61

Next, base colours on for the seats, yokes and instrument panels:
777-E4684-AD81-4-B31-96-B7-190-F347-C70-

After a varnish with Pledge Clear, oil wash by thinning with turpentine substitute:
9-B7-DDD3-D-4-FF8-40-EB-B84-D-405-D70768

43554-C7-E-2559-49-F1-AE53-5-FECAD564744

Flat cote deployed:
A1-CAE110-F6-F8-4-BBB-B8-F2-21-DD03-EAEA

Extra thin cement out, gluing from below after several dry fits to ensure all aligns:
FCB4-F900-69-A1-4-D65-9898-8-A11-B59-D15

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Hi, does anyone know if the cabin and radio operator compartments were varnished natural wood or painted grey with the rest of the cabin, before I close it up?

No idea but @Martian built one of these about a year ago you might try to find that thread.  

Lovely work in the interior btw.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

You're getting the best out of this old kit!!!

Nice detail and beautiful paint worK!!!

Martian's build will be of great inspiration too!!!

Well done!!!

I'll keep watching closely!!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

No idea but @Martian built one of these about a year ago you might try to find that thread.  

Lovely work in the interior btw.

Thank you Marklo, not up to the Martian standard (damn that framing is good). Found the answer on page 30 something. Good shout!

7 hours ago, Martian said:

I can't remember what I did but the link is here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235048734-savoia-marchetti-sm79-lebanese-style/

The answer should be in there amongst all the banter.

Martian 👽

Loved the banter as I was going through. Got some great tips from your build as well, so thank you! Very impressive build!

59 minutes ago, Massimo said:

You're getting the best out of this old kit!!!

Nice detail and beautiful paint worK!!!

Martian's build will be of great inspiration too!!!

Well done!!!

I'll keep watching closely!!!

Very kind Massimo, welcome aboard!

• Thanks 2

Hello to you all. A bit more progress on the old SM.79 for you...

I have spent most of my time since the last update gluing the fuselage together which has gone relatively well. The moulds are showing their age as they really do not align well, with flashing over the edges forming a ridge and very prominent once clamped together. However nothing a good sanding and CA can’t fix. As you can imagine, no exciting pictures to show you there so whilst that glued, I moved onto the wings and panel lining!!

I sanded one half (underside) of the raised panel lines on port wing back to a flat surface. Using the other as a guide, marked up ready for scribing:

DD7-E31-E2-00-BE-423-D-ACD3-64-A42-D6-B2

Scribed and highlighted with a black enamel wash:

3-EEAE062-7-F71-48-FB-9573-A241-C9-B5055

and in comparison with the starboard:
B7-FDAE6-E-C02-B-41-DE-918-F-A6097-B89-A

There are some mistakes, I’m not happy with the lines close to the nacelle near the fuselage and will fill with CA, then redo. The overall effect is ok, I obviously started with the undersides for good reason! In all, it took about an hour and a half, so a good 4-5 hours to go!! Needless to say I’ll not be doing that in one sitting and will spread out over the next week or so.

Thanks for looking, JB

• Like 6

Wow!  Very nice!  I respect someone that can scribe panel lines and these look like they will be a very nice addition to the finished product.  What do you use for scribing?  I've tried 3 different tools and I just make a mess of things. :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow!  Very nice!  I respect someone that can scribe panel lines and these look like they will be a very nice addition to the finished product.  What do you use for scribing?  I've tried 3 different tools and I just make a mess of things. :) 

Thanks, it should look ok once I’ve corrected the mistakes and unified with a layer of primer! I mainly use a Tamiya panel line scriber, touch ups and hard to reach areas are done with a pin vice or new scalpel blade. Before I use them, I mark up with pencil and always use a straight edge, an old tape measure cut into pieces (you can see that in the first picture) in my case. Occasionally use dymo tape or stencils. Hope that helps...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And the continuation of the SM.79... she demands some serious attention!

Glazing now on but the fit is terrible. There are significant gaps around most edges which I have filled with stretched sprue, superglue and sanded back. I’ll need to use plastic putty but will deliver the primer before I do that as it’s getting difficult to see the imperfections now. I’ve also got gaps around the top of the fuselage where the gunner port is. I’ve applied the same stretch sprue and CA  method here too.

03731-F73-2835-451-A-920-B-4834-CDEAA848
75-A03-ECE-57-D9-4768-8880-BB9-D2-A00-EF
25-C41-B95-5-E56-4086-98-E8-3-C5-C0935-A
4-A0-CE6-B1-3-B91-4-FAB-B0-A9-1-E631-AFA

I’ve carried on scribing the wings and flaps and also started detailing the cavernous undercarriage bays.
7-ACB856-E-F63-E-4-DFD-BB10-BFFE8-E2-C0-
7-C34-F3-AA-78-EC-4-B2-C-84-E6-545-BF65-
close to closing the wings now! 
JB

• Like 4

On 11/20/2020 at 12:54 AM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Get a shot of it and stick it on here!

I finally had a chance to go in my parents house and got some pictures while I was there.  Sorry they aren't better, but I had to get on a chair to take them as the models are hanging from the basement ceiling.

LRUb3D6.jpg

Jrs3ifN.jpg

69xcplL.jpg

My Dad got a 2nd kit on ebay not long ago and was going to do some cleaning, repairing and lowering landing gears.  This model could be 50 years old!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

I finally had a chance to go in my parents house and got some pictures while I was there.  Sorry they aren't better, but I had to get on a chair to take them as the models are hanging from the basement ceiling.

LRUb3D6.jpg

Jrs3ifN.jpg

69xcplL.jpg

My Dad got a 2nd kit on ebay not long ago and was going to do some cleaning, repairing and lowering landing gears.  This model could be 50 years old!

That’s a beauty! You can see the detail and effort that’s gone into the camo even after 50 years!! I can also see the same features I’m working with on the  2020 plastic, proving the mould is original. Thanks so much for sharing; he just needs to get the Mediterranean sand storm deposits off the bird and complete the maintenance on that prop 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Merry Christmas to everyone. Despite the festivities I have made progress on the bird. I completed all of the detailing inside the wheel wells to show the inner make-up of the wing and added some bits here and there to make it interesting (no accuracy here I’m afraid) but I like the result. I painted XF20, highlighted and washed before gluing all together. I’ve also cleaned and painted the engines with AKEM aluminium and washed with black to highlight the detail, although once in the covers, you won’t see much. Next up, prepping those wings for attachment!

2-A93466-E-5452-4-EDC-BD44-1-F32-A075-EF
D33-F6-FB0-68-C2-4169-B248-73-A0-C5261-D
D587-DA5-A-9-C9-C-4424-B1-EC-27-EB88-A39
EBA523-A8-B603-49-E8-81-C8-D79-E7-FBE8-A

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

That’s a beauty! You can see the detail and effort that’s gone into the camo even after 50 years!! I can also see the same features I’m working with on the  2020 plastic, proving the mould is original. Thanks so much for sharing; he just needs to get the Mediterranean sand storm deposits off the bird and complete the maintenance on that prop 😉

Thanks!  He'll be glad to hear that.  It hung on my ceiling during my childhood and was inspirational.

The engines sure look nice!  I'm excited to see it coming together.

• Like 1

Happy New Year to everyone. Here's an update from the next phase of the SM.79 build... oh she has been a swine!

I've finally glued the wings in place but it's not been pretty. I think that most of the problems are from my own doing with trying to cover the gaps and then sand back before attaching the wings to the fuselage. This has resulted in a poor profile around the wing roots however I managed to achieve a good solid bond... I hope! 

34-C9-BAD8-EB1-E-4-CDA-8-BD9-1-ED02-E094

Port on, a nice bond but...

6-C35318-F-3-E6-E-40-CC-9874-7-D1-FE3-F4

Oh dear. Will have to either sand back the fuselage or add putty. Thoughts people?

7-A32-FFBD-577-C-4-B99-B04-D-32285-A1819

My clamping method. Without these, there is no way these would have set so well.

97-BDDB40-2401-4558-8713-1385-F7-D9-C716

Bit of a gap underneath, look at the light coming through! I'll fix that with some stretched sprue and CA.

9-B7-A74-C0-C7-C1-476-E-8-B1-E-A2-E3-FAC

Both wings (finally) on and stretched sprue to fill the gaps.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 10:21 AM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Merry Christmas to everyone. Despite the festivities I have made progress on the bird. I completed all of the detailing inside the wheel wells to show the inner make-up of the wing and added some bits here and there to make it interesting (no accuracy here I’m afraid) but I like the result. I painted XF20, highlighted and washed before gluing all together. I’ve also cleaned and painted the engines with AKEM aluminium and washed with black to highlight the detail, although once in the covers, you won’t see much. Next up, prepping those wings for attachment!

2-A93466-E-5452-4-EDC-BD44-1-F32-A075-EF
D33-F6-FB0-68-C2-4169-B248-73-A0-C5261-D
D587-DA5-A-9-C9-C-4424-B1-EC-27-EB88-A39
EBA523-A8-B603-49-E8-81-C8-D79-E7-FBE8-A

Really great job also on the engines but warning, those kit engines are not of proper type https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_125#Specifications_(Alfa_128_R.C.21)

unless is irrelevant