SM79 vintage. Good luck with the camo!

Here we go then... a vintage classic I couldn’t resist and one to hopefully bring the mojo back after a disastrous attempt at building the new Mig 17. I first built one of these when I was 11 or something. I had been warned “not to buy any more Airfix” because to be fair to my parents, my room was FULL of them. I conned my poor Gran into taking me out to get this one and we agreed to keep it a secret, until when I got home I found one of the wing halves were duplicated meaning I couldn’t build the model. Dad to the rescue writing to Airfix back then (we’re talking early ‘90s), who sent me a replacement and Gran got a telling off... so this one is for Gran!

This really is a simple kit and I will scratch build some interior detail as it’s far too sparse and I want to have the side door open, along with the exposed rear facing gun port.

20-DA59-BE-DD62-4285-AFE8-2-CC421-F5-EF4
38-D9-B4-C9-6830-4146-AA84-525682-BFCDA6
8266-F6-F1-97-F7-417-A-B7-D5-EB6-BEC4-BE
B9-F331-AA-9160-41-C4-AC4-C-FB66-CA1857-

076-B2-C69-33-EF-4401-96-C2-9-E6-C11-D11

• Like 12

There’s going to be a lot of scratch building here as I didn’t realise how much you can see through. There’s ejector pin marks, part numbers, port/starboard letters... where’s my Stanley.

This is the before:

429-A53-C4-0280-4-E10-9-BF2-9-C7951-FAD7

53-BD1-B09-D6-B2-411-C-BE7-C-477009-F149

8-D64978-B-D61-B-4-D23-ABB2-F06-FD0-A2-C

F84-C9-BAC-4873-4-A24-A165-576-A547-C91-

I’ll post some more depending on how I get on tonight!!

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 8

Having a lot of fun with this kit so far: a nice blank canvas to scratch build away. I’ve focused on what I believe is the radio operators compartment? Found some assortment of good interior shots and wen to work:

19-E7-BE1-E-B6-C0-491-A-87-E1-37481-B397
2-F55369-C-FBB2-4491-96-EA-9-EE641-A9238
8902-BC29-8-C83-4-F62-AF53-AFAE99-F571-E

I’ve scribed some slatted lines into the floor as per some reference shots and started to build extra bulkheads for what appears to be a bomb bay.

Here are some of the port and starboard markings that needed removing. ‘Cleaned’ parts on the right:

8649-C457-77-DA-47-F8-A132-0850336636-E4

Thanks for looking, JB

• Like 9

Some more detailing tonight and carried on referring to several interior pics but just made it my own, I.e. it’s not historically accurate!

I’ve almost completed the radio compartment, finished the bulkheads for the bomb/mine bay and added some ribs to the fuselage. Test fitting is good and I’ll work my way back to the side gunners next time.

16-DD52-AA-C2-F5-4355-851-D-9-AADC959-A8
CA9-AF1-D8-36-FB-4-C41-9-BCF-07-F3671-BE
D056-A713-FDB0-4783-AC72-E131-E0-F3-B467
DAF61821-22-FA-407-A-B48-E-E3075-A144-F1
06-B5409-A-4-C2-E-4-A73-8-F1-B-E03-CB582

9982-BE5-C-2599-4-E7-A-9-FFA-5-F9944-C67
C34-DBDF5-09-DF-4972-BA34-65-D23-DBF4-A3

• Like 14

I'll follow along if I may!  My dad built this kit in the early 70's and it hung on my ceiling when I was a kid.  He still has it, and says it was his best work, and rightfully so!  He hand painted the complicated and ornate camouflage that was in the instructions at the time (don't know if it's the same pattern today) and he did a beautiful job.

I've wanted to get my hands on this.  I can't wait to see how this turns out.  The scratchbuilding you've done so far is terrific!

• Like 1

The nearest I got to building one of these was when I was in Singapore and saw it in the then current Airfix catalogue. I saw it had over 100 parts and thought it must be a good model! I have to admit the camo scheme always put me off, all those blobs of colour.

You are doing a grand job so far, I too love doing up these 'more mature' kits.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:43 PM, Model Mate said:

I did the Trumpy 1/48 version about 10 years ago and threw the kitchen sink at it - well, added a bunch of early Eduard photo etch and scratched one engine bay, so I’m dead keen to see how you get on in Braille-scale. Fantastic work so far!

Cheers - really enjoying making it up (somewhat) as I go along. I'm deciding whether to remove the raised panel lines and rescribe... I may keep them on the fuselage as it looks unique. The wings are crying out for it though.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:16 AM, James G said:

Nice detail! I remember building this kit as a young lad, probably sometime in the 90s

Thank you, me too. Although I do remember shying away from the camo. I think I just did the base colour with old Humbrol enamels and left it at that! Not this time though...

On 11/19/2020 at 8:27 AM, kev67 said:

Good choice, I also built this kit when I was a kid but that was about 1979, not a bad model if my memory serves me right

It's a great little model and one that always stuck in my mind from my youth. Couldn't resist when Airfix re-released it.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:35 AM, Eric Mc said:

Will keep an eye on this. I've always liked the SM79 and recently bought one of the newly released  "Vintage" boxings too.

Great - good to have you on board. The new decals are really nice.

22 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I also built this kit when I was kid. What a memories.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the nostalgia from this.

17 hours ago, opus999 said:

I'll follow along if I may!  My dad built this kit in the early 70's and it hung on my ceiling when I was a kid.  He still has it, and says it was his best work, and rightfully so!  He hand painted the complicated and ornate camouflage that was in the instructions at the time (don't know if it's the same pattern today) and he did a beautiful job.

I've wanted to get my hands on this.  I can't wait to see how this turns out.  The scratchbuilding you've done so far is terrific!

Thanks - glad to have you following along. That's amazing he still has it. Get a shot of it and stick it on here! Hand painted would probably be easier than the airbrush on this occasion but I'm going to use it as a 'technical' challenge! Crazy these kits are 60 years old plus and here we are in 2020 building one.

14 hours ago, Ray S said:

The nearest I got to building one of these was when I was in Singapore and saw it in the then current Airfix catalogue. I saw it had over 100 parts and thought it must be a good model! I have to admit the camo scheme always put me off, all those blobs of colour.

You are doing a grand job so far, I too love doing up these 'more mature' kits.

All the best,

Ray

Cheers, Ray. The box art shows just a two-tone camo but the instructions show three, with reddish-brown in the mix, I'm going for that... wish me luck.

• Like 1

I'll tag along here too. I must confess I always wanted this one as a youngster, but despite being seriously hooked on the hobby from an early age, for some reason I never got round to acquiring this one. That was back then, maybe I should now.....

Some good looking scratch building going on inside there, great to see.

Terry

• Thanks 1

An Airfix Classic.

The scratch building going on here is really top notch, I'll be following closely, nicking ideas left, right and centre in the hope of  getting somewhere close to your example. 

I built one during the Classic Airfix Group Build a few years back and enjoyed every minute of the build. I added a Falcon canopy and that really did make a difference.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044496-savoia-marchetti-sm79/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'll tag along here too. I must confess I always wanted this one as a youngster, but despite being seriously hooked on the hobby from an early age, for some reason I never got round to acquiring this one. That was back then, maybe I should now.....

Some good looking scratch building going on inside there, great to see.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. As I begin to close the fuselage I’ll let you know if I think you should 😉 It does seem to be a great little kit considering it’s age and loads of potential for making it your own.

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

An Airfix Classic.

The scratch building going on here is really top notch, I'll be following closely, nicking ideas left, right and centre in the hope of  getting somewhere close to your example. 

I built one during the Classic Airfix Group Build a few years back and enjoyed every minute of the build. I added a Falcon canopy and that really did make a difference.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044496-savoia-marchetti-sm79/

Ha! Feel free to nick away!! I read your build and yes that falcon canopy improves the ‘hump’. Impressive brush work on the camo, looks really good. I’m debated about putting two torpedoes on her but you’re right; it’s a vintage kit so let’s keep it that way.

• Like 1

Carried on with the cockpit today and started filling ejector pin marks. Also made some slightly oversized harnesses for the seats as I’d like them to be obvious through the glazing. I’ve trimmed the instrument panel to fit the decal and also cleaned up the yolks as they were covered in flash. Next up, finishing the cockpit then the aft section!! Thanks for looking.

52-A91-C10-0391-4-ABC-B86-C-1-EC3-C00-B4
90-D7-F69-D-4-B1-F-4-D08-B284-8-B4-C11-D
D5-A2-D8-C9-2-FF0-4-CE6-8-AAB-7-C66-C4-D

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Lovely looking bird there bud. One of the few Italian warbirds I actually like! The scratchbuilding is great. 

What card are you using BTW

Cheers, yeah there’s something about it, despite some of its oddities.

I think the card is Evergreen styrene sheets. I bought them a while back from my LMS. Got two grades if I recall, A4 size sheet at 1mm and 1.5mm thickness. It’s good stuff, cuts with sharp scissors and the if you score it you can snap it apart too.

• Thanks 2

Good evening all, managed to get a bit of bench time today to continue detailing the cockpit which I’m calling finished, created a navigators table I’d seen in a reference shot and began the work in the aft section. Hopefully get some more time tomorrow to carry on there!

6218-F9-C1-009-E-4812-B1-E6-8261-DB027-F
63407-E73-7721-471-F-8791-F46-E48-EBA2-E
948-A857-A-2-C1-A-4176-B76-A-4-F6119-C7-

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Just to know, is it worth picking up such a vintage kit when the Italeri kit is readily available?

Personally, I wouldn't unless you are on a nostalgia trip. For vintage classic read "old mouldings, terrible fit and poor detail". To charge what they are charging for these blobs of plastic is breathtaking. Now, if you have a longing for the old days and to have another go at a kit you built when you were six, absolutely go for it and good on you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DonH said:

Personally, I wouldn't unless you are on a nostalgia trip. For vintage classic read "old mouldings, terrible fit and poor detail". To charge what they are charging for these blobs of plastic is breathtaking. Now, if you have a longing for the old days and to have another go at a kit you built when you were six, absolutely go for it and good on you.

100%. This one had a nostalgic draw and if I wanted a more up to date kit with an interior (period), panel lines and more than one side machine gun, yep there’s only one moulded, I would have paid £6 more for the Italeri one, which looks great by the way. But I am squeezing every pennies worth of fun out of this kit (and really enjoying it), and if it keeps Airfix alive for another few years by them making money on the old moulds, happy to pay on this occasion. Would I buy an Airfix Vintage Classic Spitfire or 109 for example, nah, built too many of them as a kid and they don’t hold the same unique memories as this one did for me. I think it’s these less common ones that stick out and I am tempted by their P-61 as well...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

100%. This one had a nostalgic draw and if I wanted a more up to date kit with an interior (period), panel lines and more than one side machine gun, yep there’s only one moulded, I would have paid £6 more for the Italeri one, which looks great by the way. But I am squeezing every pennies worth of fun out of this kit (and really enjoying it), and if it keeps Airfix alive for another few years by them making money on the old moulds, happy to pay on this occasion. Would I buy an Airfix Vintage Classic Spitfire or 109 for example, nah, built too many of them as a kid and they don’t hold the same unique memories as this one did for me. I think it’s these less common ones that stick out and I am tempted by their P-61 as well...

Precisely - nostalgia builds are as much about the experience as having a world beating model at the end of the process. It is very rewarding to achieve a good outcome out of an older moulding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2