Canberra T17, 1/48 with Alley Cat parts

Lord Riot

Looking at the gaps next to the wheel bays it's just hollow inside where the engines should be.

IMG-2914.jpg

A spare rocket pod body proved a useful stand-in for replicating the part of the engine that might be visible in there.

IMG-2915.jpg

I cut it in half and painted the parts gunmetal. 

IMG-2916.jpg

Then added a piece of wire to look like piping. No idea how accurate it is but it should look better than an empty space.

IMG-2920.jpg

Glued in place. Most will be covered with part of the undercarriage door anyway, but I wanted to put something in there.

IMG-2921.jpg

• Like 3

Filling and sanding started, just needs a couple of extra gloops over the deepest joins then I'll sand it again. I might spray this area with light grey later to see if it shows up any gaps I've missed.

IMG-2925.jpg

Wings stuck together and the inner flaps and wheel bays sprayed satin white. I gave the wheel bays a bit of dirt wash too.

IMG-2926.jpg

I need to add some interior detail to the crew door. No idea what it looks like though!

IMG-2927.jpg

• Like 4

Does anyone know when fitting the under nose strakes whether you leave the tab on that fits into the forward wheel bay? 

They don't quite reach the slots under the nose bulge if the tabs are fitted into the wheel well, but it would only need a bit of plastic adding to fill the gap. Or do you cut the tabs off?

IMG-7806.jpg

IMG-7807.jpg

I got rid of the tabs on the nose strakes as they didn't appear to line up properly, and on examining photos it looks like the strakes are a few inches away from the wheel well on the real thing. Both sanded and fitted now.

IMG-7809.jpg

• Like 6

Yes it's strange Tim, there's an addendum note on the instructions saying actually WH902 was probably faded hemp! I'm still undecided on camo or hemp though. My PR9 is camo, and when I do the TT18 it will be too, albeit with yellow & black stripes underneath, so really hemp would mix things up a bit, but I think Canberras look best camouflaged.

On examining images I needed to make holes on both sides of the intake nacelles, it was easier to drill these with a tiny drill bit. I went all the way through, not sure if that's correct? However, if not I'll put a thin piece of card on the inside. Trying to find close ups of this area.

IMG-7817.jpg

10 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

On examining images I needed to make holes on both sides of the intake nacelles, it was easier to drill these with a tiny drill bit. I went all the way through, not sure if that's correct? However, if not I'll put a thin piece of card on the inside. Trying to find close ups of this area.

IMG-7817.jpg

Take a look at the albums on my site, IMPS UK Canbrrra SIG I think I've called the album  Avon 1. The vents are actually cover but you'll on the photos.

John

• Thanks 1

Not sure how I'll achieve that grill finish but for now I've covered the inside with a layer of foil so you can't see through. I might stuff a tiny piece of blu-tack in the hole then try scribing the mesh onto it. 

IMG-7819.jpg

IMG-7818.png

I think I need to smooth around the intake rim too, look at the difference between those kit nacelles and the photo.

Nacelles glued in place with spinners and fans painted. Decided on hemp, the spray I used seems an ok match I think. I'll need to fill and sand the join lines down the sides though.

IMG-7821.jpg

• Like 1

The vents on the intakes are for the starter cartridge gasses to escape. The nose cone had a turn-screw which gained access to the starter cartridge  housing. There was usually a lot of staining from the starting process of the engines around these vents.

Bob

• Thanks 1

Nacelle and intake area sealed up and sanded. Just need a tiny grill for the vents.

IMG-2949.jpg

Most of the resin lumps and bumps added now. I dry fitted the wings and there will be quite a bit of liquid putty and sanding required at the roots.

IMG-2950.jpg

IMG-2951.jpg

• Like 5

Fantastic build so far!

Just spent the last 30 mins catching up and reading through...your skills have definitely improved over the past 12 months too....The cockpit especially!

• Thanks 1

I like this subject, it's Ugly enough!!!

The work you've done on the interiors comes quite cheap but the end result looks really convincing!

Well done!!

I really like the work you've done on the nose and I have a questionfor you:

What was the quality of the resin nose?

When I built my Matchbox Buccaneer I bought a resin set by Alleycat including the nose , air brakes and a few other items. Unfortunately the nose was badly shaped, sort of oval, probably due to handling the mould with the resin still soft inside. Useless. At the end I had to re-shape it completely 

ujh38xi.jpg

dmpWPDo.jpg

6jt5T1Y.jpg

I trien to contact Aleycat and got the same success you did!!!

On 23/11/2020 at 19:21, Lord Riot said:

I emailed Alley Cat but no response

Anyway I like the progress you did on the engines too. 

I'll be following you with interest!

Ciao

Massimo

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Massimo, glad you like the progress so far. Having seen how outstanding your recent Ark Royal builds are that's very encouraging!

The resin in this kit and in my TT18 appears to be decent quality, if a little rough.  The nose was good but I had to cut the plug much smaller to fit it into the kit fuselage. The resin parts definitely need careful cutting from the moulds and a some gentle sanding but the quality and accuracy is very good. I never did get a response from Alleycat though! 😂

Your Lordship,

I am about to break my Canberra 'duck' by converting an Airfix B(I).6 into a B.2 with an Alleycat extended nose and - for fun - I'm adding Red Dean missiles!

I am following your build with great interest especially as you have undertaken nose surgery.  One question: I see you have not taken-up the Alleycat replacement canopy and upper fuselage: was that because it wasn't in your eBay purchase or did yo unot think it worth the effort?

Watching with interest,

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks @neilfergylee, I'll look out for your Canberra, always good to see one built.

To answer your question Neil, I did receive the canopy in the conversion kit but thought as the Airfix one doesn't actually look that bad (to my untrained eyes!) it would be more trouble than it was worth cutting up the fuselage. I just thought the risk of making a hash of it was too high!

• Thanks 1