1/35 Schnellboot Typ S-38 rc conversion

Arjan

Hi Greg, you're welcome. I recently ordered this transmitter plus receiver (3rd option Mode 1 with 6ARX) about $30. So this shouldn't break the bank either. Works fine on water too. Only thing to keep in mind is that the antenna of the receiver should be positioned above the waterline in the boat.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4001071713141.html

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Thanks 1

Hi Greg, I used plain Mr Hobby H11 flat white (from Gunze Sanyo). I did some touching up by brush with Vallejo 70820 Model Color Off White. For spraying I prefer Gunze white to Tamiya XF 2 white because the latter has very coarse pigment and is far too "grainy".  For rc boats I always use Vallejo (Premium) polyurethane (matt) varnish for a final protective coat. This stuff is water resistant and hard wearing but is usually a pain to apply by airbrush (tends to clog up the nozzle).

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan

Thanks Arjan.  I agree with the choice of paint. Gunze is my normal paint.  I was thinking of adding a touch of Gunze off white for scale effect in the final coat. I will test it on the bridges internal walls. How many pots of the white do you think I need?

I have installed the various windows/wind screens . As can be judged from this photo we are presently experiencing some arctic conditions in Holland  :

jtyzvFp.jpg

QzAEfRM.jpg

The Italeri instructions only show two ropes to secure the depth charges. This doesn't seem logical, if these ropes are loosened all three charges would roll off the rack simultaneously. This period pic shows how the ropes were rigged so the charges could be released one by one.

76mQPrf.jpg

A17cMHf.jpg

ibwDQmz.jpg

The wheel house interior is pretty nice but most of it will remain invisible anyway :

KY03q8L.jpg

Twelve years ago I added some figures to the wheel house of my S-100 model. This was obviously a case of misguided zeal because once the Kalotte had been fitted they would remain invisible without resorting to medical optical instruments .....

ztAwBXl.jpg

xW6R4Lk.jpg

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

hi Arjan,

Some excellent figure painting there :thumbsup:

Looking at this picture again, I noticed the skirt hanging down from the forward long vents, circled in yellow below.  Do you know anything more about this detail, seems an interesting feature to add

skirt

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the kind remarks gentlemen ! You certainly have a keen eye for details Steve 🙂 ! I think it's a canvas screen to prevent cold air (draft) from entering the air intakes of the engine compartment. All the pics seem to show boats that are not actually sailing. The boat in the canal was being towed by a tug. This is the best pic I've got (also in other respects) :

NiXWk0N.jpg

keASaBl.png

SuJvXzX.png

Talking about details, looks like a fire extinguisher in the life ring (red dot).  Quite a few pics also show it in the same position :

z72PesH.jpg

This pic shows a fire extinguisher in the life ring and probably a canvas screen as well (also one for the rear engine compartment intake) :

uQYNlzf.png

edit: The "fire extinguisher" is probably a smoke buoy. In one pic a similar object is attached to the life ring with a cord.

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arjan.  Looks like I'm stuck with Tamiya white. My LHS told me that Gunze is rebranding it's paints etc and won't supply warehouses until it is done. Most of the Hobby shops are out of it at the moment. Do you know what pearl white is like?

Hi Greg, I take it you are referring to the pearl white of the Tamiya Lacquer paint range and not the PS variety intended for poly carbonate rc car bodies. I have no experience with the Lacquer paint but from what I've read it sprays well and should do the job. It seems to contain acetone though, so it is probably smelly and detrimental to one's health (lungs).

By the way, yesterday I managed to locate a pic from the Schnellboot in action booklet (it's also in Steve Wiper's book). Pic wasn't made in Germany but in Hoek van Holland (showing boats S-25 and S-26) :

1SAUfzN.jpg

azmPdF8.png

I'm a grumpy old fart and that's probably why I prefer the "then" to the "now" :

B0n1f7T.png

vjDGUfZ.png

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 1

Hi Kev, I often hark back to the past but I do have enough common sense to realize the present is a golden age for modelers. Of course the internet has its benefits too 🙂.

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1

I have made a few adjustments to the Italeri 2cm Flak 38 bow gun. The whole mount is so complicated that I will only add a backrest to the tub and leave it at that. As with my previous S-100 model I have used two neodymium magnets to fix the gun inside the tub. As it happens there is even a pic of S-117's bow gun :

aePAMJI.png

AJNQkpo.jpg

5ZG4Bbp.jpg

fV3buaI.jpg

LkjeRYj.jpg

Ig32cVO.jpg

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 8

That looks excellent Arjan.  

I have another question for you. I'm getting the shafts from the British website. Do you think I should get the external shafts brackets as well? I'm going to split up the purchase of the gear because of over spending on the Scharnhorst kit. I thought I would get the shafts gear and motors first.

I thought I would have a go at hairspray weathering on the wood decks. So they look a bit like Steve's. 

Thanks Arjan 

I think I will spend the money as I don't thrust my soldering for this. At least this way everything will match.

I just painted some patches of muddyellow on the decks. After 24 hours of drying I will add hair spray.

By the way my ex wife was from Goes. Left when she was 16 with her family. So I have two half Dutch daughter.

You can really see it in my older girl.

I've added some lashing eyelets to the deck for strapping down the rubber dinghy. Straps would have been nicer but I don't have any suitable lead sheet in stock. 

t1QFOE3.jpg

es0WzfL.jpg

I also started painting some figures :

Q3GpbiX.jpg

Arjan

• Like 6

Of course the boat isn't finished yet but I have prepared her for tomorrow's maiden voyage (the weather forecast looks very promising 🙂). This morning I tested the model for leaks in our own pond and everything seems to be working as it should.

HuhARDj.jpg

X8gum3N.jpg

takiTgN.jpg

Hx6YjFy.jpg

rTzUdaY.jpg

Z0hknpX.jpg

8qzqPNy.jpg

XmtAtwC.jpg

FjbIFAM.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 9

Outstanding work on this! :worthy:

On 2/18/2021 at 12:49 AM, Arjan said:

I've added some lashing eyelets to the deck for strapping down the rubber dinghy. Straps would have been nicer but I don't have any suitable lead sheet in stock. 

Solder can be flattened with a dowel as a rolling pin to make nice straps.

All very nice Arjan. Thank for showing thr RC setup.

I was wondering if you can help me with a few dimensions? I need to know the distance from the back of the boat to the holes for the shafts and how far apart are they?