1/35 Schnellboot Typ S-38 rc conversion

Arjan

I'm sorry, yes another one,  building S-38's seems to be a bit contagious here 🙂. Over 10 years ago I built Italeri's S-100 so most parts of the kit are quite familiar to me. Fortunately, the molding quality of some parts is much better than 10 years ago. There were quite a few molding defects back then :

PoQfGCe.jpg

SDxqJAs.jpg

Same parts , now cleanly molded,   cut to suit the new configuration (the riveter may have been slightly intoxicated though) :

4tbmjbM.jpg

I removed the brace/bracket/bolt detail on the keel because it seems to have been invented by Italeri .

iH80uVV.jpg

NBuEELR.jpg

The door of the 20mm gun tub should be pointing to the rear and not to the side. Italeri still have not corrected this mistake in their instructions :

o1vN3Rf.jpg

I also started work on the tub opening in the deck. The opening is too small and lacks essential detail :

FQr0c7H.jpg

YxiLmGg.jpg

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 9

Hi gentlemen, the Italeri S-100 kit was no doubt based on the Revell 1/72 one which explains why the mistakes are very similar. In some instances the Italeri S-38 kit seems to be too heavily based on the previous S-100 one which leads to this curious combination indicated with the red arrow :

SkyEHhs.jpg

6sLHo3e.jpg

The multifaceted part is actually Italeri's rendition of an MG 15 ammo rack (intended for the double drum magazines). No doubt the designer of the part had no clue what it was he was drawing.  Anyway, these racks were certainly present on S-100 boats :

PdkXwtb.jpg

Tt7J30Q.jpg

qQFnbG4.jpg

But probably not in this position on S-38 ones, here I can only see one or two steps in pics. Italeri wants us to mount pe steps onto the mg ammo racks which doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately this means one has to cut away the multifaceted objects and make new steps :

c7YLGio.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work so far! :popcorn:

As a Naval Architect by degree, I need to ask if you will add Lürssen effect rudder operations?

Hi, no I won't. I will copy the setup of my S-100 model which means all three rudders are operated by one servo :

kzlZWfO.jpg

ogsJT4m.jpg

Also only two driven prop shafts instead of three, a third motor/ drive doesn't really improve the performance of a 1/35 model, it only adds weight. 

8DW0irE.jpg

M9pXbHe.jpg

Some pics of the current state of my S-100 model, I still haven't finished the guns and crew, I always find it hard to completely finish projects (new ones are always more exciting 🙂).

5WcSsIT.jpg?4

N3KbcTI.jpg

JgGyUR6.jpg

The turning radius of the model is huge compared to my Elco PT models which is due to the long and slender hull and also because the side rudders are not in line with the driven props. I think the turning radius in real life would probably also have been rather big.

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Dry fit of the reworked parts. I prefer Tamiya putty, I have been using it for over 30 years, unfortunately it's hard to get in Holland nowadays (probably because of health hazards ....) :

evkBfx5.jpg

After a lengthy search in my Schnellboot photo archive I came up with this pic (it's also in the Squadron/Signal and D-L books). It clearly shows two steps and also a hand wheel and pressure gauge I had suspected would be there.

3A5nvjr.png

This pic also shows one of the hand wheels in this particular position. The hand wheels are contained in the kit but have been crossed out in the instructions, obviously the Italeri people didn't know where they had to go.

01XPIaF.png

After going through my pics for the umpteenth time I found the perfect one :

sC8fIsd.jpg

I have cut the deck and superstructure because the rear parts should remain detachable for access to the rc hardware :

Dbfeq1y.jpg

Dry fit :

aG4mz8a.jpg

hqSViPU.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 7

I think there might be an issue with the torpedo targeting computer contained in the Italeri kit. I had already noticed that the pics on the Italeri site of the S-38 model show the RZA 5  targeting computer present on S-38 and S-100 boats and not the computer depicted in the instructions.

8yvhwGT.jpg

The targeting computer that should be installed according to the instructions (the column of the RZA 5 is also included in the kit) :

yHEUXMV.jpg

mIqZlZH.jpg

I have only found one period pic of this computer :

VMLpGe5.jpg

My guess is that it's an RZA 3 targeting computer, the predecessor of the RZA 5. The column of the latter is also contained in the kit and the former may have been planned for use on the new S-26 kit Italeri announced at the beginning of this year. 

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 5

It was suggested on the German Historisches Marine Forum  that the hand wheel on the other (later ?) type of targeting column was for pointing the boat towards its target :

9TtfA9g.jpg

I found another pic in my collection showing the (earlier?) targeting column without the hand wheel, again it seems to be an older type of S-Boot. Keine Hemmungen translates into something like "no holds barred" or no restraints :

7961yIc.jpg

This still makes me suspicious :

http://www.ship-model-today.de/sd149.htm

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 4

I have started work on the fore deck. I used Archer surface detail transfers for the tub opening. The pe blackout panels are too big for the smaller of the two hatches so I've made one from styrene.

vahESTJ.jpg

vXuNaLV.jpg

KeJLcor.jpg

uECrMVr.jpg

y99Q7YV.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 5

Thanks Steve, you are a brave man to embark on such a difficult and labor intensive scratch build. I have downloaded quite a few (Ebay) S-Boot pics over the years so let me know if you are looking for any specific reference images. Good close up shots are rare though, especially of the bridge.

I've just learned that the early type of targeting column was indeed used on some type S-38 boats at least. I must say that's a relief because these new Italeri parts have much better detail than the old ones from the S-100 kit. Today most of my rc hardware arrived and I have to decide now which prop shafts I'm going to use. I ordered both 3mm and 4mm ones.

Regards,

Arjan

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Arjan said:

Good close up shots are rare though, especially of the bridge.

Thanks Arjan, that's really appreciated

Right now I'm sorting out the prop shaft a frames.  The drawings I have contradict each other and the photographs are not totally clear.  Although some drawings show the centre shaft with an A frame, this picture of Kevin Wheatley's S130 is clear it didn't have one. 

ihVOyDWsQGotPbijPhNDZlFm-bcCAX-OPnNxeL4HfAA

The outer two shafts (which are missing from Kevin's boat) did have A frames from other pictures, though Carlo Cestra's ' drawing show a single support vane not an A frame, I'm surprised he got that detail wrong...

This short is also a nice picture of the stern wedge installed to keep the bow down at  speed and the exact detail of the rubbing strips

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Hi Steve, indeed only A-frames for the outer shafts. As for reference material it doesn't get much better than these IWM pics :

5ocADXq.jpg

8HwUrIo.jpg

jp3jcui.jpg

8dYP7ua.jpg

Not related to Schnellboote in any way but I also like this pic 🙂:

WFydpJN.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For the past few days I have been working on the wheelhouse/bridge. The parts really go together well and so far this kit has been a real pleasure to build. The parts are very crisp and well molded but there are quite a few sink marks most of which have to be filled because they are in view. The wheelhouse should remain detachable so I haven't glued it to the forward deck section.  I will later fit it to the deck with neodymium magnets. I will glue down the roof sections later once the wheelhouse has been painted and the windows fitted. Fitting the clear plastic parts after everything has been sprayed will save me a lot of masking hassle.

y4ciDgX.jpg

C8PTKh5.jpg

GF4Lcxu.jpg

XOodcqZ.jpg

79pmIEX.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 7

After gluing the fore deck to the hull I discovered there was a gap between the fore deck and the front of the wheelhouse. I removed the locating tabs of the wheelhouse but I still couldn't slide it forward sufficiently to close the gap. It turned out that a strip had to be removed from the bottom of the rear wall (of the superstructure). I marked this strip in red :

CmzqYKx.jpg

ERpqmPa.jpg

No more gap now:

2oLFlVV.jpg

I also wanted to rework the bulwarks next to the torp tubes. These Italeri parts look pretty miserable :

4tbmjbM.jpg

The problem is that I haven't managed to find a good period closeup of this area, at least not of an S-38 Boot. This is the next best thing (not an S-38) but I assume it should be very similar :

vyL6BRW.jpg

I removed some of the Italeri rivets and used some 1mm Evergreen strip. I will add Archer rivets to these strips later. I might also drill out the navigation lights to insert leds.

Xs9AgjV.jpg

axKXi1V.jpg

eIu3MC3.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 6

Thanks gentlemen ! Not much progress, I drilled out the navigation lights, added MG pintles and some basic detail to the inner side of the bulwarks. I will paint the inside of the nav lights black to prevent light from shining through the plastic.

00a2tap.jpg

Fs6FyZc.jpg

1enHMp6.jpg

tlJiivF.jpg

tfDMKSI.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 6