1/35 Schnellboot Typ S-38 rc conversion

Arjan

Thanks gentlemen. Not to worry Steve I will definitely keep posting. On the subject of  tips,  I love this poster 🙂:

serg7ka.png

I ordered five resin 1/35 U-Boot figures in China. These figures arrived yesterday and they really have some exquisite detail (especially the binoculars) :

56TIlBA.jpg

Herr Kaleu (Kapitänleutnant) :

i6QiEJ8.jpg

4xVU0zY.jpg

I also started work on my old set of 10 resin ADV/Azimut Schnellboot figures. These figures are much better than the Italeri ones but not nearly as good as the illegal copies from China ..... :

bMilH57.jpg

Progress on the boat itself is slow because I keep poring over photos to make the right choices ....... I don't know whether you plan to build an early S-38 version with two 2cm guns or a later one with the 4cm Bofors. There seem to be preciously few photos of the latter version. This is probably the best one :

M5JRyXJ.png

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 3

Trumpeter includes a crew in their 1/48 U-Boot kit but I doubt if this crew set is available separately. The last pic I posted probably shows one of the S-Boote at Ivan Baba (Black Sea). Here's another one, same location :

zblvflO.jpg

These pics show that the changed deck layout Italeri presents is correct (apart from a minor detail perhaps). Apparently the deck Compass was moved forward when the Bofors gun was mounted. S-91 even retained two deck compasses :

PtGebJa.jpg

Two more pics of the Bofors gun :

RbyJqjF.jpg

M6elphX.png

The boats at the Black Sea probably received their Bofors guns in 1944 by which time the round radar detection antenna was probably no longer used.

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After having tried  3mm, 30 cm long inner shafts I have decided to use longer (35 cm) 4mm inner shafts with cheap nylon 3.5 cm props instead. The brass Raboesch props are obviously much nicer but I find them a bit too expensive, especially since there is always a risk of losing or damaging one (I lost a Raboesch prop from my Vosper last year).

6By2N04.jpg

I added handwheels, steps and gauges. The steps were made from plastic Panzer III air intake spares with a suitable diamond pattern.

g6f4ieL.jpg

PAsNltH.jpg

wCs0Xq0.jpg

I also fitted some parts to the deck :

XlUnnlY.jpg

KdZfY1v.jpg

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 7

Thanks gentlemen ! I expect her to sit slightly above the waterline just like my S-100 model (see pics on the previous page). With a full crew she will probably sit exactly at the waterline. No ballast will be needed, I usually install a 200 gram (3300 mAh) lipo and the two motors weigh in at 60 grams each. I think the hardware (including the two speed controllers, receiver, mixer,  prop shafts and rudders) should weigh no more than about 500 grams.

39nairI.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I took some rather bad pics of my progress late last night 🙂.

aTgT3ZX.jpg

aAhvNhH.jpg

VPEZfuT.jpg

cC6FdtE.jpg

I'm going to finish the model as one of the boats stationed at the Black Sea. Unfortunately, this means that painting the air recognition stripes on the fore deck won't be easy because I have glued down most parts on the fore deck already 😟. These are the (7) red stripes used :

l0qNZty.jpg

x7LnKcp.jpg

ZdlyP9w.jpg

Apparently a yellow cross was also painted on the lid of the gun tub.

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 5

Hi gentlemen. The Italeri Bofors gun doesn't have the slots showing the recuperator spring. Some US Navy Bofors guns didn't have these slots but the German ones did. 

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan

Hi Arjan,

Just studying one of your pictures, working on the gun platform framing, and I noticed this (highlighted in the ellipse) attached to the inside of the handrails.  Any idea what they are?

amo boxes

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, I have no idea. Possibly  (fire)hoses but these were normally stowed elsewhere. It doesn't look like ropes. I also considered long pieces of tarpaulin frequently used for camouflage.

This pic seems to show similar objects :

i19HTIe.jpg

The object in the background here looks like a rolled up piece of tarpaulin ? 

fRwYZ9Y.jpg

Bits of tarpaulin (or netting?) hanging over the sides to be used as camouflage when moored :

zblvflO.jpg

Fuel hose I think :

i74IEKM.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/01/2021 at 21:42, Arjan said:

I have no idea. Possibly  (fire)hoses but these were normally stowed elsewhere

Reading elsewhere, I've decided that these are fuel hoses, stored in sections that clip together

Steve

Hi Steve, I don't think they were (fuel) hoses after all. When I enlarged the pic I noticed a definite rope structure so I think this is just a bundle of rope. I posted this pic on the German Marine Archiv Forum and they also thought it was just a bundle of rope. 

iULl4eN.jpg

The boxes I marked with a blue dot turned out to be water proof ammo containers looking similar to these 2cm and 3.7cm Kriegsmarine ammo boxes :

GXY4hWq.jpg

JlpEA9O.jpg

Q22nGBS.jpg

Time for a brief progress update. I have been working on the rudders. I enlarged the main rudder and installed much bigger side rudders in order to reduce the turning radius of the model. The black side rudders are the ones I installed, the grey one is the original Italeri one and the red one is from my S-100 model :

6AzQy1t.jpg

I enlarged the main Italeri rudder by 1cm, both in height and width. I used 0.5mm styrene  card :

v4eaAli.jpg

KWJk2cK.jpg

yQggBRC.jpg

PKBbUum.jpg

Steering servo installed , still have to link up the 4 arms similar to my S-100 rudder setup :

ogsJT4m.jpg

kv7n4qJ.jpg

7cgSMm7.jpg

fV5NbfO.jpg

I'm going to use two of these :

V8DVCnZ.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 4

Arjan,

What bow gun mounting are you fitting?  The drawing I'm using seems to have this mounting

Bild 101II-MW-6304-13A

Rather than the one that has the high frame over it, below

20mmc38

I've drawn this one out to etch, but then I was worried that it was only fitted to the type 38b and 100 class vessels not the early 38.  Unfortunately the GA I have is the only drawing I can find of the earlier mount and its not too clear and hard to interpret so wondered if you had a solution or if this mount still is OK to fit

Sorry to highjack your thread, thought others might be interested in the discussion 🙏

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm going to build the later version of the 2cm Flak 38 mount. I do have some pics of the early C/30 mount but I don't have a drawing of this version. I do have a detailed drawing in 1/35 of the later mount. To tell the truth I don't think the drawing you posted is 100% accurate but the mount I will build won't be completely accurate either.  A pic of the later version, I hope it shows in what respects your drawing isn't completely accurate :

JpA0Gvo.jpg

Some pics of the early mount :

kbVFMQ0.jpg

QYs0y9G.jpg

nUxdEKV.jpg

Most pics of the boats at the Black Sea seem to show the earlier Brunnen mount (no tell tale pantograph  visible).  Fortunately this pic does show the pantograph :

e1mftGP.jpg

Write me a private message containing your email address and I will send you the 1/35 drawing I have. By the way, you are not high jacking this thread in any way, I always welcome questions and remarks. 

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for those pictures, that's very kind.  Let me see if I can construct a reasonable drawing of the earlier mount based on the drawing I have and those pictures.  If I think I can, I'll post it here so you can check my logic.  If I can't, I'll welcome your drawing.

These Schnellboot threads have to stick together :thumbsup: 

Cheers

Steve

In the mean time I have installed the two brushless motors. The motor mounts have been made from 1.5mm styrene, I only used two bolts at the top of each mount to secure the motors, this should make removing them easy.

WQGHRCZ.jpg

xixiFUj.jpg

I'm finally ready to start painting the model. I'm still not quite sure though which S-Boot I wish to model, probably a Black Sea one but I also fancy a boat stationed in Holland. I discovered that this 4th S-Boot Flotilla boat (S-117) also had a 4cm Bofors Flak, the pic was taken at Rotterdam :

nEXAtWU.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 3

The bow stripes , green deck and yellow St. Andrew's cross are certainly a nice challenge 🙂 Scan from Schnellboote in Action, David Krakow probably didn't notice the cross :

mfA8IE1.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1

Arjan,

That's a really interesting image.  It clearly shows that the netting shell case catcher is actually attached to the scarf ring not the handrails as so many models and drawings show.  Logical as then the shell cases would collect in the tub not roll across the deck, I love this sort of detail, great stuff

Steve