Chitubox and Photon-s printing setup question

Blacktjet

That´s the infamous elephant foot and it is caused by the bottom layers higher exposure times. The more you (over)expose the resin, the more it expands.

Those bottom layers are always overexposed by definition for ensuring our print sticks to the build plate properly but that comes at a cost of that unwanted side effect. 

I´m not aware of any trick for avoiding the elephant foot (it´s a resin printing constrain) and the only way to mitigate it is some fine tuning of your bottom layers exposure time.  We use to set bottom layers exposure values much higher than required often. Let´s say our print sticks to the build plate with just a bottom layer exposure time of 40s but we run our prints with 60s or more. We are overcooking our lcds for no reason when building the first print layers.

Regards!

Alvaro

46 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I might be worth raising the Bottom Exposure time and see if that sets the base layer quicker?

Increased exposure time is what causes the problem.  Increasing it further will not fix it.

As for solutions, this is probably your best bet at the moment (the channel's other videos are worth a watch, too):

I think that the solution is to lift your object off the plate, put them on short supports. You still get this “added bonus” called elephant feet but at least it will only happen in the support structure.

Thanks, I increased the bottom layer exposure time because my prints were sometimes sticking to the FEP rather than the plate.

Didn't think about burning out my LCD, might explain why mine failed after four months!

2 hours ago, ICMF said:

Increased exposure time is what causes the problem.  Increasing it further will not fix it.

As for solutions, this is probably your best bet at the moment (the channel's other videos are worth a watch, too):

Thanks for that, very interesting 👍