Mig-19P, Fuerza Aérea Revolucionaria, Cuba, after 1961...

John Masters

I will begin this build in the next couple of days.  Since I will be building the Cuban, I know everything I need while the decals travel through the post.

Just a reminder of what I have to work with...

50611732808_ee1c9a74f9_c_d.jpg

And this will be the profile...

50624648598_06573c3508_o_d.png

50625395996_a464bd5c7c_o_d.png

I am assuming that the registration will be '04' since here is no '82' on the sheet...

--John

• Like 2

Hi John,

My book on the Mig-19 says that the one in the Air Force Museum in Havana is a PM, but the caption to their pic says a P so take your pic. It has nose number 88 but is black and white and does not specify the colour, though red seems likely. If I am reading the above instructions correctly, the dec on the nose should be "Q" on the sheet but that seems to be "728" - all a bit confusing, but I guess you could cut them up and rearrange them to get 28 if you wanted.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Fair enough John,

I think there are probably more pics available of Russian, Czech and DDR PM's than Cuban but I am confident you will work something out.

Pete

• John Masters changed the title to Mig-19P, Fuerza Aérea Revolucionaria, Cuba, after 1961...

Mods and followers, please note that I have changed the title of the thread.  Since I will be building one of the Cuban 'Farmer Bs' I decided it was ok to do so.  Now...

According to my Mig-19 book, and everything I have seen and read online, the whole Cuban Mig-19 issue cold be controversial.  How many did they get?  What kind?  Hmmm...

We know for sure they received just over 12 Mig-19Ps.  These were not PM aircraft.  The Heller supplied kit seems to be a PM since it has the underwing cannon and the Kaliningrad K5 missiles.  I will not be using either of these.  I will scratch build the two wing-root NR-23 cannons.  Not a big deal.  I am going to ignore the elongated tail fin, or lack thereof.  I suggest you do too.  I will build the whole of the aircraft up to the point of decals and then wait. 

The heller instruction sheet is typical old-school exploded view...

50636757847_31bd944e78_k_d.jpg

And here is a picture of a Polish Farmer B showing the wing root gun location.  I picked this image off of the JetPhoto website.  Thanks!

50635924778_f494e0c319_c_d.jpg

So I think I'll dive into it.  Since this will be an open canopy Mig, I'll have to juke up the cockpit some for a visual.

--John

• Like 7

On 11/20/2020 at 6:49 PM, John Masters said:

It all depends on what Tony sends me.  I am not getting the whole sheet.

The callouts with the sheet show 728 on the nose (decal "Q") and that's what I'll send with the roundels and fin flashes, does seem a bit odd though that 728 appears on a Polish plane (albeit in a slightly different typeface) whereas first pic on a google  search of "cuban mig 19" shows 82 (in a very different typeface!) Where did the profile with Cuban 82 you put further up the thread come from?

There's always something with decals! 😁

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Where did the profile with Cuban 82 you put further up the thread come from?

I think from the same decal sheet you have...maybe?  Hi-Decal...

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/mig-19-pm-farmer-e

I think it'll all be fine.  

• Like 1

I think this will be a closed canopy, but I decided to fix the seat a bit so at least there will something to see through the glass...

I started with this:

I trimmed and cut a bit...

50642425061_2ddfde6cbf_c_d.jpg

Then bit of this...sorry for the blurriness...resin scrap, Evergreen bits, some brass wire...

50641665523_11fbc95969_c_d.jpg

Primed it looks better...

50642424981_5bf801673d_c_d.jpg

All painted up, ready to assemble the cockpit.  I have painted the interiors a grey-blue.  This is what i have seen.  The layout is not perfect, but it will work for a closed canopy.

50642502567_ab4482bb35_c_d.jpg

And into one half it all goes.  

50641665458_a1f9b38d26_c_d.jpg

A quick test fit showed I will need to trim a bit of the cockpit floor to relieve a gap.

--John

• Like 4

On 11/17/2020 at 10:44 AM, JeroenS said:

why is this MiG called "Farmer"? Was it first used to plough fields? Harvest corn? 

Because it was a component of the Russian Martian program:

@Martian will confirm the veracity of my words, because he saw everything that is under the link in the video on YouTube directly to Mars!

You ask: "What does the MiG-19 have to do with Mars?"  Well, how could a farmer get to Mars?  Only on the MiG-19!

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am having to delete the previous post from the editing field before I post these days.  Anyone else having this issue?

In any case...the wing halves are together...

50646820128_6b4b4f2322_c_d.jpg

In looking at some images of models and aircraft, the wheel wells are little busier.  So I fixed that.  Accurate?  Probably not but better than a blank piece of plastic.

50647659787_fb352786f0_c_d.jpg

The same with the nose.  There is just a big space behind the cowling and in front of the underside of the cockpit.  Just something to fill the gap.

50647566776_b3d8c7d46c_c_d.jpg

I took a sanding stick to the bulbous growths on the ends of the stabilizers.  I aw that Pete did this, so I'll do it too.  It's easy and I am lazy.  I could extend this e whiskers out a bit too.  I haven't decided yet.

50647659612_ec588b9138_c_d.jpg

Behind the cockpit received a little texture...

50647566596_62e9e55544_c_d.jpg

And in looking at the cowling ring, there is a fair amount of flash.  I cleaned this up with a sharp knife and a round tapered file.  No 'after' picture, just before...

50647566636_652578507d_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I am having to delete the previous post from the editing field before I post these days.  Anyone else having this issue?

Occasionally ...I have to recycle and wipe it out by clearing the post ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

31 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Occasionally ...I have to recycle and wipe it out by clearing the post ? 

I love that feature! I often either (a) forget to press "submit reply" or "edit post", or I leave the page to copy a link from elsewhere, and it's still there when I come back. If you post what you wrote, it does clear out, which is fine by me.

Cockpit is looking very nice. It's strange to see a rivet-ty jet - even Airfix didn't add rivets to their jet models.

Regards,

Adrian

50 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Nice job on them wheel wells.

Thanks!  I have now attached the wings.  Yikes!  Gaps like no other...

In order to create the anhedral wings and stabilizers, I am left wth these...

50648959551_0f925c9fc6_c_d.jpg

..and here...

50648208453_3129827129_c_d.jpg

A putty job.  I know some guys who do drywall and plaster.  Albanian guys.  Really great.  I might have to call them on for this!

I added the additional fins like Pete did.

50648208493_6ce9d01066_c_d.jpg

I'll let everything set up then attack with the filler.  I also need to construct the wing root guns...

--John

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have constructed the wing-root guns from stretched sprue...the thicker ends where they are more conical.  They look alright and will pass the 75cm test.

As you can see, plenty of PPP going on here: wing roots, nose, rear end...all over the place.

50651409493_336e935c88_c_d.jpg

I have masked and attached the canopy.  I think that once this is dry I can give it a primer coat and see where the holes are.

50652244572_226127a635_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4