Mig-19P, Fuerza Aérea Revolucionaria, Cuba, after 1961...

John Masters

Well, what a surpise, a MiG 🙂 

Good to welcome yet another build from you John. Good luck with this one. 

By the way, I have been wondering about this for a while as I see them popping up all over the place in the GB's, so it's about time I asked... why is this MiG called "Farmer"? Was it first used to plough fields? Harvest corn? 

47 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

why is this MiG called "Farmer"?

Nato reporting name, all Eastern block aircraft were given names like this, randomly allocated I believe but afaik all fighters had names staring with F, bombers with B, makes senses anyway.

@John Masters I'm keen to see this come together, I've a KP Mig -19 kit & similar decals to do something like this with.

Steve.

• Like 1

Ooh I like the look of this one. I picked up this kit on evilBay for a song couple of weeks ago so will be interested to see how it goes together, Very interesting choice of scheme too.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Nato reporting name, all Eastern block aircraft were given names like this, randomly allocated I believe but afaik all fighters had names staring with F, bombers with B, makes senses anyway.

@John Masters I'm keen to see this come together, I've a KP Mig -19 kit & similar decals to do something like this with.

Steve.

It gets a bit more involved. All piston engined types have single syllable names eg Tu-4 Bull and jet or rocket planes two such as the Farmer.

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well my favorite MiG so is it ok I follow along ? 

Please do Dennis!

26 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Very interesting choice of scheme too.

I thought so too.  Not many we see around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi John,

The PF was indeed different up front - the Shenyang F6 was based on the Mig-19S. The PF was used by the former Soviet airforce and a few Warsaw Pact countries - Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania and Hungary and Cuba had a few as well I think.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Sorry John,

Typo - I was thinking of my Mig-17 kit!  I also was thinking of doing a Pakistani one as I have the decs, and the kit ones may not work, but then somebody pointed the problem out to me so you are not alone! The Heller kit has a few problems but makes up well enough.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

I don't know.   I have some junky F-6 kits (Plastyk, SMER) and I could cannabalize the nose piece for the Heller kit...somehow now, though, for some reason, the mojo seems to have left the room.  

I have no kit decals in this box.  So I couldn't even make the Russian aircraft.  Bummer all around.

• Sad 4

On 11/17/2020 at 9:44 AM, JeroenS said:

Good to welcome yet another build from you John. Good luck with this one. 

Don't hold your breath.  

The Rivet Counters here on BM can really take the wind our of your sails sometimes.

Some things I try to remember while engaging in my hobby.

1.  It's just a hobby

2. It's only a model.

3. It's supposed to be fun, not work.

When it suddenly ceases to feel like that, well...

When the decals arrive I'll decide what to do.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Some things I try to remember while engaging in my hobby.

1.  It's just a hobby

2. It's only a model.

3. It's supposed to be fun, not work.

Well said. :clap2:

• Like 1

Hi John,

I entirely agree - it is meant to be fun, and as this is a "Classic GB" accuracy, even if possible, is hardly essential. I have decided to tart my Mig-19 up a bit just because I felt like it, but an out of the box build would still look fine, and it fits together fairly well. Go for it!😁

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Ok I’ve cooled off some.  I am waiting for the decals from Tony and all will be well. 😁

Soon as they land they'll be on the way! 👍