Panther G

gmoss

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome to build... That looks very good with the splinter camouflage, do you have other views of the same tank to get all the sides ? Or are you left to guess the different sides ? 

Thanks. I only have this side shot.  I may have to employ a little creative licence.

spacer.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gmoss said:

Thanks. I only have this side shot.  I may have to employ a little creative licence.

If no pics exist of the other side how can you get it wrong??

Welcome to the mad house, the more the merrier!

• Haha 2

On 11/23/2020 at 5:23 AM, Franz75 said:

The kit is old, needs some work. I will invest in tracks. Standard ones are not too good. 

Yes it is - it's been in my stash for years...I've ordered a few bits and pieces, but I'm planning to work with the provided tracks.

Good luck with yours.

My progress so far.  I had (for the first time) attempted to glue the wheel assembly together, in order to be able to remove them in one piece for easier painting and detailing, but somehow I managed to glue them to the suspension arms in a few places, so now I'll have to work with them in place.

Keen to hear of any tips for doing this?

Cheers,

Greg

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hi Greg. Looking good so far. Too late for you now - and probably not a way you might want to do it-  but I paint all my wheels for tanks while they are still on the sprues:

31479210934_aba7c22811_c.jpg

These were from my build of Tamiya's Panther D a few years back.

The build thread is here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987459-tamiya-135-panther-ausfd-sdkfz171-update-140317/ if it's of any interest -although I have progressed a lot of the things I do on AFV builds these days but I still do a lot of the painting while parts are still separate. My latest armour build of a Pz.III can be found via the link in my signature below.

Kind regard,

Stix

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stix

I usually paint the wheels whilst they are still on the sprues, but thought I'd try something different.  Oh well, better luck next time I guess.  I've done my best to base coat the wheels in situ, but they will need lots more work.

Anyway - I've progressed a bit from my last post with the base coat down and the barrel and grill covers attached.

I'm considering changing direction with this and rather than doing the winter camo scheme, I'm thinking of doing '301' as depicted on the box art.  Although I'm a bit apprehensive about doing the ambush 'dot' camo.  I did this scheme on my 1/48 Jagtiger, but I've never been 100% happy with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by gmoss
  • Like 6

I managed to get the camo started last night.  Will try to get the wheels done tonight.  Still not too confident with the dot camo....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by gmoss
  • Like 11

On 06/12/2020 at 22:53, gmoss said:

I managed to get the camo started last night.  Will try to get the wheels done tonight.  Still not too confident with the dot camo....

When I have done dot camo there are two methods that I have tried and worked.  The easiest was wooden cocktail sticks, I cut down the point until I had the diameter I needed for the dot, dabbed it into the paint and applied the dots that way.  The other way is to make small holes in a piece of clear plastic and spray through, takes a bit of practice to get the hole size and distance from the model right but it does work and I use clear plastic so that you can be more precise in where you spray the dots.  Hope this helps. :winkgrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here is a model I painted using the cocktail stick method, my preferred wat of painting the ambush scheme.

IMG_0962

On the JagdPanzer I used holes in some clear plastic sheet and sprayed the dots, I used this method because of the zimmerit on the model but it makes the dots larger.

IMG_0796

• Like 7

On 12/11/2020 at 8:54 PM, Retired Bob said:

When I have done dot camo there are two methods that I have tried and worked.  The easiest was wooden cocktail sticks, I cut down the point until I had the diameter I needed for the dot, dabbed it into the paint and applied the dots that way.  The other way is to make small holes in a piece of clear plastic and spray through, takes a bit of practice to get the hole size and distance from the model right but it does work and I use clear plastic so that you can be more precise in where you spray the dots.  Hope this helps. :winkgrin:

Thanks mate.  They both look really awesome.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, Peter Roberts said:

That is coming along really well - looking the part, great job!

Thanks Peter.

• Thanks 1

After looking at some Panther reference photos, I decided to do the dots with a brush, so they aren't perfect circles.

I'm not 100% happy with it, but further weathering should tone them down a bit.  I'm also looking to place a few 'tree branches' on it this weekend.

Cheers,

Greg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by gmoss
  • Like 10