Ford 3ton lorry engine colours

Webby954

This is a preserved one.  Said to be the 3600cc engine from the 917.  Not sure if the 3900cc engine from the later 997 was appreciably different.  All the Ford flathead V8s looked pretty much the same. 

Irony is that you could also find this same engine in various 15cwt - 3ton trucks built in the USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, UK and in every Universal Carrier and the A11 Matilda I tank.  Let's not mention the shady deal old Henry made with the Nazi regime in order to keep his German subsidiary in his ownership all through WW2.

spacer.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

This is a preserved one.  Said to be the 3600cc engine from the 917.  Not sure if the 3900cc engine from the later 997 was appreciably different.  All the Ford flathead V8s looked pretty much the same. 

Irony is that you could also find this same engine in various 15cwt - 3ton trucks built in the USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, UK and in every Universal Carrier and the A11 Matilda I tank.  Let's not mention the shady deal old Henry made with the Nazi regime in order to keep his German subsidiary in his ownership all through WW2.

spacer.png

That's a small block Chevrolet V8. 🙃

This thread has a couple of photos of a German-built Ford flathead:  https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99271&showall=1

Ah.  Note to self.  Don't fully trust image captions.....  Digging further it is indeed a non-original Chevy engine in a preserved G917T in the US: this one.  Can't see why: old Ford V8s are not exactly hard to find or look after.

spacer.png

That linked site does have a couple of images but rusty with no visible colour.  From the 9T legend on the valve cover I assume it's a 3600cc 95BHP version from a 997.

However, returning to the colour question, this is an image said to be from a 1939 Ford Cologne publication.  It still seems to indicate that medium grey was the colour.

spacer.png

Posted with acknowledgements to the claimed copyright owner (if it is a 1939 Ford image then USMbooks cannot own its copyright and at that age it's out of copyright anyway)

Ford UK engines of that era were painted dark green. The flat head V8 came in 2 sizes from 1939. 2.2 and 3 litres. The 2.2 was found to be short winded, so the bigger lump was used for military work. My late Father drove a WOT2 with a Ford lump in Africa and Italy.

This is from a Ford Pilot.

vehicle_ad_standard_image_16832a05f84652

• Like 1

The 2.2 litre one was the V8-60, a different design from the standard 3.6 and 3.9 (221ci and 239ci) engines.

The one in the image posted by @Das Abteilung above is the early 21 stud 3.6 engine.   The Germans were two or three years behind Ford US in switching to the 24 stud heads, so 1940-41.  Later German flatheads had a rear mounted distributor, which was unique to German production, but I've found conflicting information as to when that change was made.

Here's a pre-war German flathead (edit - reading the thread properly, seems it's probably a wartime French one) but the condition might lead one to think it's been repaiinted:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/german-flathead-v8-identification.812802/

Here's a later German one, with the rear mounted distributor.   The remaining paint on the fan and engine mounts looks like a reasonable colour reference.

http://www.brandow.eu/div/29GT/index.html

Edited by Six97s
typo
  • Like 1