Hasegawa 1/48 - F/A-18E VFA-147 Argonauts 2011 CAG Plane.

Hello All.

Here it is the closure of the phase 1 project that I am working on that will be dedicated to my son. He served in the US Navy for 4 years with that squadron, and became to be one of the crew chief of the squadron. Choose this plane in particular, because the CAG of the group ordered to paint the names of all the people that was part of the squadron on the folding sections of the wings, and happens to be that the name of my son was on it. Lucking me that Two Bobs issued a decal set of that same plane, and if you squint the eyes good enough, or have a good magnifier, you can read the names. 

So, here is the list of what was used so far:

1- Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18E PT39.

2- Two Bobs F/A-18E Argo's On Cruise 48-240

3- Eduard F-18E Big Ed for Hasegawa BIG4869.

4- Aires F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Exhaust Nozzles-Closed 4636.

5- Reskit F/A-18E Wheels.

6- Eduard Brassin GBU-12 LGB 648 155. - Added the thermal protective coating.

7- Eduard Brassin GBU-38 Thermally Protected JDAM. 648 386. - Transformed into a GBU-54 Laser JDAM.

8- Phase Hangar F/A-18E/F/G Super Hornet Weapons Pylons no Dog Ears 48067.

Plus bits and pieces of:

9- Hobbydecal Dry Transfers Set STxx062V1.

10- Airscale Decal Set AS48DAN.

11- Fightertown Decals Set 48087.

12- Reheat Models Set RH131.

13- Evergreen Plastic rods and sheet in different sizes.

14- UMM Lead Wire in different sizes

15- Infini Medium Black Lycra Rigging 0.121 mm.

Paints:

16- Grey Main Colors came from HATAKA set HTK-CS44.

17- Black Gloss and Gloss Coat from MCW Enamel Paints.

18- Humbrol Enamels for Cockpit and Exhaust Nozzles colors and clear red.

19- Tamiya Paints white Primer decanted. Clear Blue. Panel Line Accent Colors and Weathering Pastels.

20- Gunze Mr.Color for the Orange Color when needed (own made mixture).

21- Tamiya Clear Blue. 

22- Molotow Liquid Chrome for the Landing Gear pistons.

23- Sakura Micron Pigma Pens black (003) and red (005).

And loads and loads of patience. You see, this is the first model that I have completed in about 7 years, so a lot of the techniques used were rusty (to say the least..:think:), so a lot of problems were encountered during the two years that took to make this model. Must say that after my retirement this year, the construction pace took a turn for the better, but nevertheless, still took some time. You can read some of the adventure in the WIP section under "F-18E. VFA-147 Argo Combat Cruise 2011 - CAG Plane. Hasegawa 1/48th." (still have to figure out how to insert the link for the other topics in the forum.  Figured out how to insert the WIP link...

Last but not least, sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. This is the first time that I am trying to do something like this, and the results show that I have to find a better lighting set, as well as to learn how to play with the camera settings. 

Anyway, enough of chat and lets go to the pictures:

RPOK5159 - Copy

This is the subject to be modelled, and with the same load configuration (in as much as possible...:think:)

IMG_0514

And this the reason of the build. AMAN Garciafreites E. (number 12 in the third column).

And here is the result:

3R1B0951

3R1B0969

3R1B0947

3R1B0937

3R1B0939

3R1B0946

3R1B0945

3R1B0944

3R1B0943

3R1B0941

3R1B0940

IMG_3663

IMG_3670

IMG_3671

IMG_3672

IMG_3673

3R1B0965

3R1B0960

3R1B0962

3R1B0964

3R1B0963

And the reason for the build...

IMG_3661

Number 12 in the third column... :thumbsup:

Appreciate any comment and constructive criticism. 

As said initially, this closes phase 1 of the project. The phase 2 is now the construction of a small section of the aircraft carrier deck and some accessories, where the model will be chained to it. Yes chained, as per they do in the carriers. 

As always, thanks for looking, have a good one and keep safe. 

Edited by Jfgred1
Add the WIP link
  • Like 35

That's a great result, your rusty skills are pretty sharp! Really good looking jet, would love to have a go at it in 1/32.

Looking forward to Phase 2, sounds like an interesting project. 

Alan 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, billn53 said:

That’s one super Super Hornet!

Thanks a lot. Hopefully, the destined owner will have the same opinion. 

8 hours ago, Alan P said:

That's a great result, your rusty skills are pretty sharp! Really good looking jet, would love to have a go at it in 1/32.

Looking forward to Phase 2, sounds like an interesting project. 

Alan 

Thanks Alan, it has been a step re-training curve... Will start phase 2 today, and since it is a section of the carrier, I think will have to be published in the Diorama section of the forum???... Anyway, small detail...:whistle:

7 hours ago, swralph said:

Excellent work all round.😀

Thanks a lot swralph. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 3:39 AM, VolkerR. said:

This is first class modelling. I admire your devotion to detail and accuracy.

Looking foreward to see the Hornet on a carrier deck!

Volker

Thanks Volker. Very much appreciated. Started to work on it, and today will publish the first entry in the diorama forum. Touching wood, hopefully will come out good...

On 11/17/2020 at 4:28 AM, Stephen said:

Superb work.

Thank you very much Stephen. It was a trying one... The model was about to fly out of the window several times...:ner:

21 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That's an outstanding Super Hornet om every respect.  And great to have your son's name and service honoured in this way.

Thank you very much Vultures1. Very much appreciated. And yes, I am very proud of him too, so hopefully the whole project will come out good. 

19 hours ago, jimmyg352 said:

That's a cracking build, the undercarriage is off the map!

Well done!

Thank you Jimmy. Thank you. The landing gear and specially the wheel wells are one of the weakest points of the Hasegawa model, so tried to give some "life" to those parts of the kit. The wheel wells on the Revell kit are way better out of the box.