Tamiya Enamel Paints

Of Models & Monsters

Hola comrades.  Does anyone use Tamiya's enamel paints?  My favorite silver paint i've ever used is Model Master's chrome silver but since they're discontinued i've been considering what to get to replace it if I can't find any more.  Metallic paints in acrylic suck in my opinion so would you recommend Tamiya's enamel chrome silver?

I use Tamiya enamels for brush painting parts that I cannot spray, mainly the metallic shades and they are excellent paints. The chrome is good, but not as chrome as the Molotow mentioned above. The only thing I find with the Molotow chrome is that it does take a while to dry properly and also if you rub it hard/handle it, it takes a little of the shine away. You need to lay it on fairly wet to get a nice chrome effect, if you're brush painting and go over the same area a lot I find it also looses the chrome look as well. Otherwise it is a very good chrome finish..

@radish1us, thanks for the pointer to the Molatow refill! They offer the best chrome, hands down.

Gunze has a line, Mr Metal Color, which is brushed on then polished. I have a couple of colors and have tested them. They look quite good! To be sure, they are fragile without the Mr Top Coat clear.

Otherwise, I airbrush Mr Color metallics, and they're nice. I airbrush Alclad for highlights.