Croatia's fighter replacement competition

Slater

Israeli Baraks were selected already once.... but because of US veto they were not allowed to buy the Israeli upgrades as well. The US feared for its  business oportunities...

Wonder why no Eurofighters Tranche 1/2 are offered....

So... I as Croatia would not go the F-16 route.... as clearly the US played only in its own interest last year

But all the rest seems weven more expensive and unlikely.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlamgat9 said:

The smaller EU air forces should club together for a common pool of Gripens. These penny packet national fighter fleets are crazy.

Yeah, Slovakia has 14 F-16 Block 70's on order. So, basically a squadron.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slater said:

Yeah, Slovakia has 14 F-16 Block 70's on order. So, basically a squadron.

and Bulgaria some 10?

Poland has 36, but older models

Romania is updating and increasing its updated AM/BM fleet  

so there is a chance for standardization here...  the Gripen users (although few) kind of standardize anyways on the Swedish versions....

I think a European fighter fleet is kind of an illusion... currently everybody has some micro fleets, with some interoperability of cause being possible.

see Czech and Hungarian Gripen integrating perfectly with Nato airpolicing in the Baltics and Iceland...

but I guess Croatia mainly needs something to counter the small but increasing Serbian MiG-29s fleet... and that is actually already a sad enough story and cause! :(

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vlamgat9 said:

The smaller EU air forces should club together for a common pool of Gripens. These penny packet national fighter fleets are crazy.

For that to happen there would first have to be a common foreign policy among the various smaller countries, something that is almost impossible.

Not that it's impossible only for the smaller countries it's often hard to see this among the larger EU countries as well as in the end each follow their interests, regardless of EU or NATO membership

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

partner nations could join together for training, maintenance, etc....of their small fighter fleets to get some economics of scale....
but still here many different interests to be covered...

the main one is as usually not defence needs, but politics....

the larger countries usually also have their own large defence industries.... so there is more (or actually even less) to play with....

I suspect that the Israeli proposal stands little chance due to the possibility of the US exercising a veto again. The Rafale, while they may be a cheaper purchase, may be a more expensive aircraft to operate, so I believe it will end up as a straight fight between Gripen and the F-16V.

If so, the US will almost certainly offer a lower price to the Swedes. Whether Croatia goes for it is another matter.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 1:50 PM, Giorgio N said:

For that to happen there would first have to be a common foreign policy among the various smaller countries, something that is almost impossible.

Not that it's impossible only for the smaller countries it's often hard to see this among the larger EU countries as well as in the end each follow their interests, regardless of EU or NATO membership

Hmm one hand I agree not sure what the tune is with Slovakia, Croatia,Bulgaria etc.....broadly EU id imagine although obviously Croatia has its issues with its Balkan chum....sadly ..

.but some sort of shared agreement regarding spares and depth servicing might be possible. Not easy I grant you ....the part of LMW I used to work for tried something called GASPAW with Merlin users but it all got very protective and money was an issue

On 11/16/2020 at 10:19 PM, Vlamgat9 said:

Wasn't that tried with the F5, F104, F16? 

But I think it's a good idea. Not always possible for the reasons others mention