Airfix Old Tool Spitfire Vb in 1/48th Scale.Finished.

Alex Gordon

G'day Chums,I'd like to join in with one of these please.

4QtA3WU.jpg

The obligatory bits on frames piccie,with a hint of something different being done.

HNQ5ODd.jpg

Some bits from the spares box that might just refine the look of the thing.The carburettor air intake,rudder and tailplanes are ICM,tailwheel with fuselage section is Hasegawa,exhausts,canopy,oil cooler and fuselage section are Airfix new tool.The other bits are of indeterminate origin.What's the point of having a spares box if it's not raided from time to time?

09QmAuu.jpg

This is about all of the kit that I'm intending to use.

rmB5nRm.jpg

I've started by removing the bits that are simple to deal with.

vrj9dPh.jpg

Rubbish photography alert;the fin as issued is nearly three times the thickness of the replacement rudder,some industrial standard thinning required here then.While I'm down there I'll make the cutout for the tailwheel insert.

mcWtfmQ.jpg

I'm intending to use a propellor from the new tool Airfix kit.Having read about John Adams thrustline modification the fuselage was taped together and the relevant spinner backplate offered up to assess the feasibility of doing this.I think we might be treading on @Troy Smith territory here.Any suggestions on this job will be more than welcome.

40Q5T5J.jpg

Anyway,to get on to an easier task I thought I'd chop out for the fuselage section.If the windscreen from the new Airfix is going to be used this will be less problematic than trying to fair it in to the kit fuselage.

cXZBqmQ.jpg

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

I'm intending to use a propellor from the new tool Airfix kit.Having read about John Adams thrustline modification the fuselage was taped together and the relevant spinner backplate offered up to assess the feasibility of doing this.I think we might be treading on @Troy Smith territory here.Any suggestions on this job will be more than welcome.

Totally down to @John Aero that fix.

Same for the mid 2000's Spitfire I/II/Va kit as well.

15 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

I thought I'd chop out for the fuselage section.If the windscreen from the new Airfix is going to be used this will be less problematic than trying to fair it in to the kit fuselage.

cXZBqmQ.jpg

Looking at the above, and the spinner backplate/nosering, look like the cowl could be narrowed a bit, and/or the fuel tank bent out,  try gently bending and flexing the part out,  too many modellers forget that plastic is flexible, and will retain a new shape with a few flexes.

It's a really good kit in the basic shapes department, too high thrustline and chunky tail aside,  and they made a damn good go at the wheel well too, might be the first basically accurate well done? 

I have one I did most of the work converting to a Seafire IIc, erm, in 1981,  taking measurements with a ruler from the old PSL Spitfire book that had them in 1/24th and dividing in 2 for 48th....

Good start, look forward too more. 

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,a little more to show.

Troy,thanks for chipping in old fruit.I remember reading about John's fix on BM a good while ago but it has puzzled me ever since how to deal with a smaller diameter spinner.I was wondering if you'd tried to do this mod.I found this image on a site called Steemit which has some gen that will be of use to some.It's the nearest I could find to a top view and shows that forward of the windscreen is pretty much parallel and might give a method of narrowing the front end to fit the spinner. 

32FTXiQ5krWJhJDANPSK7mF7fnpP6u9DzVTu6HpP

I've had a soft spot for this kit since I built my first one back in 1982 and have mangled a few of them over the years.I heartily agree that,for its time,it was a splendid effort and can still give the likes of Tamiya and Hasegawa a run for their money.

A Seafire II back then,well done old chum.If you've any photos you'll have to show us.

Col,thanks for looking in old fruit.Hopefully this one won't be too much of a marathon.

The instrument panel has had a little attention.A lump has been cut out of the top edge so that it will fit into the new insert and some pipework added.

RfT0dLx.jpg

The new insert was taped into place and some offering up was done.The gap at the top is due to the longeron on the right hand side just where the square hole is and was cured by cutting a chunk off the longeron so that the panel could move upwards.

UaQcPsV.jpg

Anyway,the insert is an almost fit,it is slightly narrower than the fuselage.

KNiEaKi.jpg

I started the gluing in process with the rear edge.This required the locating tabs to be removed from the insert because they interfered with the fit.The front fuselage was then spread so that the back vertical edge could be aligned.This was glued and left to set.  

46ijjYv.jpg

Once set the opposite corner was lined up,a shim of 5 thou plastic card in the joint helped with this endeavour.This was clamped and glued as shown and left overnight.

F8OZUZE.jpg

The other front corner stuck a little proud and had a slight gap that was cured with yet another shim of 5 thou card and some more of the self closing tweezers routine.

vOltHz7.jpg

While that was setting I had a go at the exhausts.The gun heating pipework needs to be cut off,our subject didn't have it.

SbBOHKv.jpg

I found a site by the name of imodeler which has these two photos.These will be useful.

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27d0f25.jpg

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27f344f.jpg

Back on the subject of the insert there was a slight gap at the front vertical joint.This was widened out using a Tritool saw blade and some more 5 thou card used to fill the cut.I'm quietly chuffed with how this has all gone together considering the rough and ready way the cutout was made in the first place.

YC1Ulqo.jpg

Now that this stage had been reached I had a measure up of the fuselage width at the insert and a couple of places on the cowling.Guess what,they're parallel all the way so we can't do any narrowing up for the benefit of the replacement spinner.

I'm off to find a nose on photo now,thanks for looking in Chums.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

I remember reading about John's fix on BM a good while ago but it has puzzled me ever since how to deal with a smaller diameter spinner.I was wondering if you'd tried to do this mod.

It was to sand a long narrow triangle from the back of the engine compartment, with the narrow base being the gap between the new spinner and the existing upper cowl ring,  and the sanding the rest round to fit. 

in your image below,  the top gets sanded down, and the sides get curved in to fit.   I have done it on a old Airfix Mk.I,  I don't know if I saved the photo which showed John's fix,  and if I did, it on another computer,  but it was very easy. 

40Q5T5J.jpg

it makes more sense if you align a the new tool Airfix kit with the old tool,  a side of each,  as then what needs adjusting become clear.

If you look at the pic below, and the other of JU-H, the top of the engine compartment slops to the nose very slightly,  and that is where the additional 'triangle' of material is on the old too Vb kit. 

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27d0f25.jpg

Interestingly the original review of the kit in Scale Models in 1978 picked up on the oversize nose ring/spinner,  but offered no suggestion as to a fix,  John Adams fix was elegantly simple.

16 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

A Seafire II back then,well done old chum.If you've any photos you'll have to show us.

it was in my first flush of AMS, and as such, was never finished, and later was partly disassembled,  but I still have it, and have planned to finish it,  as I did mange to convert the B to a C wing and it is salvageable, especially as I now have a lot of spares.

Funny thing is back then all I had to compare my work to was in model mags and books,  so had no real perspective on what was good and what needed work. 

I do at times lose motivation for actually sitting down and building.  

I just bought a new bulb for one of my work lamps, which I need to test (it's a 100 w equivalent LED)   so I'll see if i can find the relevant kits and do a pic of the Seafire and old tool vs new tool nose.   (if being the problem... I need to do some serious reorganisation) 

I have a few of the old tool Vb stashed, as the basis for a Speed Spitfire and a prototype,  as the lack of engraved panel lines is a bonus for these projects.

On the subject of vintage 1/48th Spitfire kits.

I don't know if you have it, but I got very cheaply via our sale pages the re-issue of the 1979 era Revell Mk.II kit,  (actually it's more of a Mk.I) and the main basic shapes on that are also excellent.   the review at the time noted the wingspan was short,  but IIRC this was all in the tips, so an easy fix with spares, and it lack the gull wing, and the wheels and exhaust are poor, and basic cockpit. 

From photos i think Pegasus used this as a basis for their clip together  Spitfire kit.  (one of the few I don't own)

And, interestingly, the 60's Monogram Mk.IX main shapes are also excellent,  again lack of gull wing,  but this was a common omission in Spitfire kits, I think the first to have this was the 1/24th Airfix.

If I on occasion plan to do makeover these old beasts, but end up wittering on here instead.....

Great to see you actually DO them! 

cheers

T

• Like 1

G'day again Chums,just some offering up to show this time.

Troy,thanks again old fruit.Hang on a moment,a solution is in sight.I know what you mean about points of reference.I think I read my first modelling magazine (SAM) when I was 18,before then I didn't even know they existed.I only really found the internet during 2010 and crumbs I didn't know there was that much gen out there or folks who will assist other folks to understand.

I've never seen the Revell offering but it sounds as though it might be a decent base for conversion to early PR marques.I've read good things about the Pegasus kit too,but I've never seen one and they don't seem to appear pre-owned.I'm saying nothing about the Fujimi kit,I had one once and moved it on pretty sharpish.

Anyway,to business.The replacement exhausts will just about fit in the kit slots,perhaps a little elongation would be helpful.

3aL5L3J.jpg

The ICM tailplanes will take a bit of attaching.Offered up for a start they sit like this and are noticeably too wide in span.

FBIW1yP.jpg

Placed side by side with the kit item shows where bits differ.

1TFX3wS.jpg

The locating tabs need to be shortened and the elevator ends need to be cut back.

1pFtU5N.jpg

One done.

LDysQD4.jpg

And then I sat down for a bite to eat and I read Troy's post.In the stash is an old tool Mk I which is basically the same fuselage as the Vb.I put it together with the new tool Vb fuselage and here are the piccies.The downward curvature of the cowling top is the easy bit.

7Ti98oB.jpg

Looking down from the top revealed the bit I was struggling with.A little light came on in the abyss that passes for my mind.

GyOXYst.jpg

The sides of the cowling on the old tool are basically straight.The new tool has a pronounced curve inwards starting at roughly the centre of the exhaust slot.If this curve is laid in to the old tool then the replacement spinner can be made to fit.

3ycBMq2.jpg

Thanks for looking in Chums,more soon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

I know what you mean about points of reference.I think I read my first modelling magazine (SAM) when I was 18,before then I didn't even know they existed.

I discovered Scale Models when I was 12, and it led me astray.  Actually still have them all, and still some great information in them, as well as things like A.L.Bentley plans..

OK,  since I did the pic, and then saw your post, here's the new tool against the Vb, the old tool Mk,I is a a bit lower.  I added some red pen to make itr stand out a bit more.

50618347623_0a8c3ac246_b.jpg50620235 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I don't know if this will help, it's a bit blurred, but this is the upper cowl of the Hendon Mk.I, when it was in bits a few years ago,  it does show the shape I think.

50619372962_62211dcec1_b.jpgspitfire upper cowl crop DSCF0543 by losethekibble, on Flickr

this is from the BM walkround

d%2044.jpg

here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964080-supermarine-spitfire-mki/

this may have some useful pics for shape as well.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/supermarine_spitfire_mk1a_p9444/index.php?Page=1

On 17/11/2020 at 23:08, Alex Gordon said:

well, this shows the converted B to C wing, which was the biggest job,  and you can see i picked off the cowl armour, i did is in a sheet of 5 thou card, along with the reinforcing plates, also picked off.  Just visible are the hook lines.   If in the way, I'll edit them out.

50618351148_c4284a96a1_b.jpg50620239 by losethekibble, on Flickr

50619092551_74c2687211_b.jpg50620240 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I'd have been 14 or or 15 when I did this.   I did keep all my old projects, I even did the main work in backdating a Revell Bf109G-10 to a G-6.... or trying to cross kit an Airfix Bf109 F-4 with a Monogram Bf109E to make a decent E.....

4 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

I've never seen the Revell offering but it sounds as though it might be a decent base for conversion to early PR marques.I've read good things about the Pegasus kit too,but I've never seen one and they don't seem to appear pre-owned.

The Revell Mk.II may turn up cheap, it was de-done a few years ago, and sort of thing that pops up cheap in the Hobbycraft sale.   Only really worth getting as a curiosity,  or if you like upgrading oldies.    From what I could see of parts shots, the Pegasus looked to be 'inspired' by that kit,  Pegasus snap together kits seem to all be basically copied from existing kits, the Hurricane Mk.I is copy of the Hasegawa  kit.  

The only ones I have a the Hurricane and Fw190

They did used to be pretty cheap, but don't seem around much these days.

4 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

I'm saying nothing about the Fujimi kit,I had one once and moved it on pretty sharpish.

One of the few I don't have an example of. 

I know some of the Fujimi kits were more like 1/50th,  I had the Fw190D and that was undersized.

I think the ones I'm missing are the Fujimi, Pegasus and Hobbycraft (which I suspect is a copy of the Airfix Vb, their Hurricane IIc is based on the old tool Airfix) , as well the Aurora BT-K and the Starfix.... 

great work so far

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

Hello again Chums,more surgery to report.

Troy,thanks for the photos,they are very useful.Splendid work on the Seafire,that wing is no mean feat and the fuselage reinforcement plating is subtle and difficult to get right.The photos are fine where they are,they might inspire someone into doing that job for themselves.Did the 5 thou card come from an Airfix 54mm figure kit by any chance?

To be fair to the Fujimi kit as a standalone it's fine.I only bought it out of curiosity because the writing on the box claims to cover the Va,Vb and Vc and I wanted to know how they did it.I discovered that there's just the b wing in there and it looked desperately undersized compared to the rest of the ever growing fleet.It wasn't wasted,it went to school and one of my little herberts built it.

I've barely started on Bf 109's,just the two so far but there will be one of each somewhere along the line.

Anyway,I've done a bit of chopping and hammering.A curve rather than a straight wedge was cut out of both sides of the upper cowling joint,here the right hand one is chopped out.

nf2skQO.jpg

The end of the fuselage was cut out completely to make room for the up and coming bending endeavour. There is a dirty great lump each side devoted to the locating pin arrangement which,if I'd known I was going to do this would have been removed completely before the fuselage halves were joined,had their ends cut back.The exhaust recesses were cut out,another job best done while it can be got at easily.This rendered the cowling easier to bend inwards and downwards to make the necessary curved shape.Hot water and directed brute force did the job.All of the cutting so far has been done on a TLAR basis,if the gap's too small I can always enlarge it. 

fwRB4ep.jpg

There are some small but pertinent differences between the old and new tool kits,the underside of the cowling is slightly narrower on the new tool. 

c0E2IaC.jpg

The side of the cowling on the old tool is smaller but the upper cowl is decidedly on the beefy side.

N43aMRQ.jpg

Anyway,an offer up showed promise.

6yJIQMH.jpg

A couple of triangles were cut out of the undercowl,I didn't spot the misaligned panel line that I was using as a guide until I saw this photo.It's not going to be glued in until the lower wing is fitted so it can be squared up.

y4N03RW.jpg

That's cured it.

jdt8orb.jpg

Edited by Alex Gordon
Spelin.
  • Like 3

G'day again Chums,just a little to show this time.

Col,thanks old fruit.It's not as nerve wracking as it looks,knowing what to achieve and the method of doing so is half the battle.If I make a mess of it there's plenty of runner to stretch for gap filling.

A quick rummage in the spare decals bag yielded the instrument panel decal from the Hasegawa Typhoon I built a few years ago.This was cut up and the relevant bits plonked on here.I'm in two minds whether or not to make some bezels too.It looks happier than if I'd tried to paint it.

bvSJysC.jpg

The seat is a blank canvas.

WeQKQiI.jpg

Some filing and drilling gave me something that looks a little nearer how it should look.I scratched up a pair of rudder pedals too,all they need now are the toe straps.I'm toying with the idea of closing in the lower sides of the cockpit,that's what the white bits next to the bottom edge of the IP frame are for.  

E8nAGJJ.jpg

Edited by Alex Gordon
Adding link.
  • Like 2

On 19/11/2020 at 17:50, Alex Gordon said:

Did the 5 thou card come from an Airfix 54mm figure kit by any chance?

Possibly, I did used to do those as well,  but I think I had a sheet of 5 thou,  I know some of the kit was done staying at a friend of my mum in Brighton, and central Brighton had The Model Aerodrome,  (which later became the first branch of Modelzone)  and they sold plastic card,  I certainly had a sheet of 5 thou 'back then' as I still have some of it.    

The  PSL Spitfire book, which is what inspired me to do the conversion., I got at a reduced price in a shop in the Lanes in Brighton, 

Fond memories of wandering around Brighton  to various model and toy shops hunting out kits.  

...https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placeshop/do-you-remember-the-shop/do-you-remember-the-shop 

1 hour ago, Alex Gordon said:

.I'm toying with the idea of closing in the lower sides of the cockpit,that's what the white bits next to the bottom edge of the IP frame are for.  

Neat detail.

Funny, one of those things that one you know about it, it's obvious, but was missed on Spitfire kits until recently, I think the first kits that had these was the 1/48th  Hasegawa Vb kit. 

The Airfix cockpit is a bit clunky, but does a reasonable job through a closed canopy.

cheers

T

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Chums,a few twiddly bits this time.

Troy,the nearest I've been to Brighton is,the Costa Geriatrica itself,Eastbourne.Grandmother lived in Bexhill so that was a yearly destination.Hopefully you'll like what I've done to fill out the cockpit on this one.

Hewy,thanks for the kind words.

Col,thanks old fruit.

I've cobbled together a few additions to the cockpit from bits of card,runner and wire.The gun camera film counter,

ZPiUqe4.jpg

Spare gunsight bulbs,remote contactor and a silver lump that needs a lever to nearly represent the gun cocking device.

pkfk2kR.jpg

And I've sussed out how to close in the bottom of the cockpit,a small rectangle of thin card which will connect with the bottom of the seat frame.

9byHAwS.jpg

There's the radio selector box and the Sutton Harness to make and I'll call that it in there,the whole lot is smaller than my thumb and I'd like to get to the point of painting the outside sometime soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

G'day again Chums,the twiddly stuff is about done.

Col,thanks old chum.

The Sutton Harness is done,this needed a little headscratching because the seat is set at the top of its travel.The wirework into the rear fuselage is yet to be done but I wanted the seat in place to set the distances for that.The frame at the rear of the glazing has been replaced with 10 thou plastic card drilled and shaped appropriately. 

BmiDMGp.jpg

The radio selector box was made from a lump of the cockpit door and some red brown painted lengths of wire.

8bxlVDp.jpg

It looks a bit busier in there now.

leiMUvs.jpg

The propellor has been painted with Humbrol 33 Matt black,the spinner had the same with a drop of grey added to make it look subtley different.It actually looks the same to me so a second coat might be in order.

coH0uAJ.jpg

The upper wings are on,

OlgfnBD.jpg

as are the tailplanes which are pretty much the same span as the kit items would be.

1msbVMF.jpg

The card closures for the fuselage went in easily and does make a difference when looking in from above,and the upper nose joint has been backed with a length of runner.

5BPBUt8.jpg

There's the control column and rudder bar assembly to go in,as has the radiator shutter lever now that I know one is supposed to be there.If I can wrestle the seat height adjustment lever from the gaping maw of the carpet monster it'll go in too.

Once all of that has been done I can pick the pace up a bit and head towards the paint job.Thanks for looking in Chums,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 5

Hello again Chums,a bit more progress over the last few days.

Col,thanks again old fruit.

With all the messing about in the cockpit I found the need for a replacement rear portion of the canopy.The seat frame now sits higher than the kit intended and the kit canopy doesn't have an open option without cutting it in two.Coupled with the fact that it has a scale thickness of around four inches something a tad thinner seemed appropriate.This is my sixth attempt at plunge forming one,usually I find the second go does the job but this one,for some unknown reason,just didn't want to happen.

VJhqT31.jpg

Anyway,the undercarriage mainlegs and wheels were denuded of part lines and made ready for paint.

nvXUE3d.jpg

The rhinoplasty is well under way,the round bit is an ICM Spitfire mainwheel turned down to a suitable diameter to support the front end and provide something solid to mount the propellor on.

kLcaIRR.jpg

It's nearly there,a tad shaved off at the 10 and 2 o'clock spots and we're not far off.

cyGCx2E.jpg

Lousy photography alert,the join between the side and under cowls isn't good.There is a good reason for this,I've messed about with it.Also the wing setup won't allow the fuselage to spread any wider than it is so the undercowl is actually too wide in the first place.The other side is the same.

YrcXw4Q.jpg

The rear wing to fuselage join is a fairish gap and the downward identification light glass has been installed.

MS89XXX.jpg

I decided to narrow the undercowl by extending the cuts I had already made.

GhJZ4Q7.jpg

The tailplanes took delivery of a kelching of Milliput.

BhVrKIu.jpg

Stretched runner for the fuselage joint.

yJgDWvU.jpg

As usual for me there is a slight mismatch over the now cleaned up filling,the wing sitting slightly high,but it's not hugely visible and I'm going to live with it.

zBaqm45.jpg

Satin black on the metal bits.

zoJliCe.jpg

Seating the replacement glassware is going to involve superglue.Given that thin edges are not ideal for permanent fixing of not entirely perfectly fitting components I have scraped a rebate behind the canopy aperture and above the rail for the sliding portion.I've also chucked a drop of black paint at the fuselage to see how it looks and prove the joint work.

Y13vkzb.jpg

The undercowl is a nearly fit,a light sanding will take care of most of my cruelty to it.

mORLbTv.jpg

That's all for now Chums,more soon and thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

G'day again Chums,a little more to show.

Martin,thank you for chipping in and the kind words.Butchery is one thing,clearing up afterwards is totally another.

A bead of Milliput down each side of the cowling took care of the step joint with the undercowl.

KTc5Gwg.jpg

The oil cooler fairing needs to go on fairly soon.I used the one from the new tool Vb kit,to the left here.It is a little more sharply defined than the old tool item and I've got it out now so I might as well use it.Making it fit into the hole in the wing involved rounding off the flange at the inlet end.

xWtCdcF.jpg

The aft part of the canopy was positioned,held in place and superglued.

xgTX7aS.jpg

A couple of rounds of taping and superglue has given me this.A spot of Milliput around the back edge will finish the job off.  

LyDGGmh.jpg

While I had the goop on the go the oil cooler and radiator fairings were faired in,as was the air intake.I used the kit one,the shape of the rear end is a little more convincing than the ICM one which is pointier.The cut lines on the undercowl had a wipe over while I was down there.

7pypCrA.jpg

The wheels and mainlegs had another visit.Now that we're playing with paint it's a good idea to pay attention to the photos of our subject,the old adage of paint what you see not what you want to see being pertinent.

ZCmTWDL.jpg

The photos show the legs,hubs and tyres all have a very similar shade and reflectance so my satin black appeared too dark and shiny.A brushful of thinned matt black took care of that.

hKwuaO3.jpg

While I was chucking the black paint around I thought I'd try a bit of an experiment.What you see here is three versions of black.On the rudder is a mix of satin black and blue mentioned in this BM thread about Night paint.From the diagonal panel line to the end of the fin is my version of Night,four parts 33 to one part 25 Blue  On the left is unadulterated Humbrol 33.

Tqn7eUt.jpg

The nose surgery is nearly done.I've made the spindle for the propellor and drilled out to mount it which means that I can now finish off the front end of the cowling.A spot of something on the top edge is required.

p7ohFWC.jpg

I cut a shape from ten thou plastic card.This is currently taped down waiting for the glue to set before it is sanded to shape.

lNjy00A.jpg

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

Hello again Chums,we're nearing a finish.

The patch I'd glued on to the top of the nose was far too big but it was easy enough to remove the excess and smooth off to a decent surface.

Dz6Uy1o.jpg

A straight edge along the top of the nose revealed that I have succeeded in lowering the thrustline a little without substantially destroying the structure.  

cO4nl2n.jpg

The gunsight has been glued in,it looks a lot sharper than the kit item.

yxE8HHy.jpg

The cannon barrel fairings were cleaned up,as has the antenna mast.The fairings only had a part line of flash around them and are circular in section rather than elliptical which seems to be more usual in most other kits.

PT6Tbxv.jpg

As is usual with this kit the antenna mounting hole was too big.I plugged it with a stub of stretched runner.

CCoN8V9.jpg

The propellor has had its spindle made and fitted and is now ready to assemble.

zlmbo41.jpg

The antenna hole has been drilled out and squared off.It is deliberately slightly undersize and will rely on the melting properties of liquid glue to make a good join.

V7ZUjao.jpg

The windscreen has been glued on,as perfect a fit as one could ask for.

g3erBPk.jpg

Anyway,having settled on my matt mixture for Night I've been quietly slopping a bit of paint on to the point of throwing the decals on.These would have gone on perfectly but for me transposing the two fuselage side items and having a merry old time trying to keep ahead of some rapidly drying Klear to swap them over while dodging around all the newly applied delicate sticky out cannon barrels and such.This morning I found this.

8BS7WEt.jpg

Guess who didn't smooth it off before setting it aside to dry overnight.I've had an hour or so with a stiff flat brush and a watch glass of Nilglass which thankfully allowed me to remove the decal without too much damage and chuck it into a saucer of water while I remove the dried Klear from underneath.

AhsILxs.jpg

• Like 4

G'day again Chums,a few more odd ends to show.

Col,thanks for looking in.That wing roundel is now back on and as good as it's going to be but I didn't take a piccie of it.The sympathy was appreciated at this end.

Sooner or later the sliding canopy was going to come into this so here we go.The photos show the flat sided bulged top type of which one is supplied in the new tool kit.This item doesn't sit properly on the old tool kit.

vSehNSL.jpg

I used it to plunge mould a replacement.This was too big and required cutting down and shaping.

OGdDvSo.jpg

There was another little thing niggling in the back of my mind that the elevators weren't quite right.

dRCuuDm.jpg

A bimble through the BM walkaround department yielded this photo.

am40.jpg

Time for some more gap filling then.I fetched the kit tailplanes out of the spares box and started cutting.

qFKYCW8.jpg

A wipe of Milliput will refine the fit.

2EFOoi3.jpg

Some thinning down will be needed.

wPa7X1q.jpg

Anyway,the paint on the replacement canopy having dried I offered it up.It too doesn't quite sit right.

7B2LWKB.jpg

So I plunged another one and cut the excess off slightly differently.This one shows a little more promise.

CdekL2k.jpg

There will be another round of masking and painting.Thanks for looking in Chums,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

Hello again Chums,the last round for this one.

The new canopy had no framing left by the time I'd chopped it about so I went back to its predecessor.

KqUnTSt.jpg

The cockpit access door was plonked in using a strip of self adhesive aluminium as a hinge and a drop of superglue behind it so that it doesn't flap about and fall off.

HQLeUZ6.jpg

The canopy latching lever was made from thin copper wire and superglued in to place.

6uAdyrf.jpg

Anyway,after a flurry of final touches,de-dusting and removal of all the bog roll fibres that remained attached after the excess fluid removal during decalling I'm calling this one done. 

03FNJHy.jpg

nhGWkQw.jpg

4RClEM4.jpg

cwBnDn3.jpg

2GyEoNL.jpg

dbmnGaI.jpg

yJv7f2j.jpg

MZyDrvO.jpg

457smON.jpg

A comparison piccie with the real thing shows that the paint job leaves a bit to be desired however,but that has more to do with my photography and lighting setup than anything else.

LYxKEPZ.jpg

My thanks to all who have looked in and chipped in,Col in particular and Troy for the pointers,gen and general encouragement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1