101 Messerschmitt Bf 109 B

malpaso

Thanks to a reminder from @JOCKNEY I have started my (first ever?) Heller kit.  I think I bought this at a BDAC show a couple of years ago; it was a bargain anyway.  It’s the early 109, I’ll do it in the box art scheme.

50606449506_16a470fb06_b.jpg

I’ve prepared the parts and done some priming, I’ll post a few pics before long.

Cheers

Will

• Like 7

I’ve avoided the Bf 109 so far simply because those Luftwaffe camo schemes scare the bejeezus out of me (see also: Me 262). But here’s an OOB paint job that’s within my capabilities 😁. Will be following with interest, enjoy the build!

Great stuff Will,

Delighted you have joined us, and your kit of choice is definitely a classic.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the kit, and I'm confident you will get plenty of support and encouragement along the way.

Best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

I’m building this as light relief alongside a Wingnuts Camel, which is a nice kit but not quite as great as I’d expected from other’s descriptions.

Anyway the Heller kit is made up of well moulded parts in a good crisp plastic, similar good quality to a mid ‘70s Airfix.  I’ve separated out the parts ready for paint.  There aren’t very many!

50606172713_c8b4b70041_b.jpg

Obviously there’s the transparencies as well.  As the instructions show a wood prop whilst the boxart has the variable pitch one, I’ve avoided the decision by using aluminium tubing for a pro shaft and bearing so I can swap.  I believe the earliest 109Bs in Spain had the wood but were soon upgraded to the variable one, whether 26 had both props I haven’t researched.

50606458646_7f6df49619_b.jpg

Next is to paint the cockpit, instructions say vert acier which translates as steel green, but I may use RLM02.

Cheers

Will

• Like 6

Welcome along Will with what is a Heller classic. I too have one of these on the current modelling bench and am pretty happy with it so far. RLM 02 is a good interior colour and that’s what I used for mine. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Things have moved on but I forgot to photo the cockpit before closing up.  The basic airframe is now together; since these photos I have tidied up the filler.

50661902826_37ddffb6eb_b.jpg

50661902801_2b2a3839eb_b.jpg

To be fair the filling isn’t much, the kit is definitely equivalent to a good Airfix of the same period.

Now I am thinking about colours; probably go RLM63 over RLM65 though the box art looks more like silver.  I am also considering chopping off the ariel as I can’t see one on any photos of early Spanish 109s.

Cheers

Will

• Like 9

On 11/15/2020 at 2:04 PM, malpaso said:

Thanks to a reminder from @JOCKNEY I have started my (first ever?) Heller kit.  I think I bought this at a BDAC show a couple of years ago; it was a bargain anyway.  It’s the early 109, I’ll do it in the box art scheme.

50606449506_16a470fb06_b.jpg

I’ve prepared the parts and done some priming, I’ll post a few pics before long.

Cheers

Will

Ive built two of these kits this year. The build up quite nicely and are pretty good overall. The only gaps I had were at the front/back of wing to fuselage on the underside. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reminder.  There’s been a bit of a hiatus as I was putting off the greenhouse masking, but it wasn’t so bad so the airframe is now in primer, ready for paint.

• Like 1

White tactical markings added.  The only good thing about spraying white is that it isn’t yellow...

or red...

50794449063_f3ef01d222_b.jpg

I’ll be painting grey over blue, using RLM63 over RLM65.

The interchangeable props have worked out okay, except double the number of spinners I have to paint white! 🤔

• Like 4

The decals are on.  Not very many and went on very well.  They’re still bizarrely Matt after two coats of Klear; I hope the Matt varnish will bring it all together.

50835363858_8edcb9e400_b.jpg

Some details to finish painting and then to put it all together.

Cheers

Will

• Like 5

Underside got a Matt coat last night, seemed to tie the roundels in better.  Should get the top surfaces varnished tonight, then it will be set for the gallery over the weekend.

Nice to see another 109B being built. This one is looking excellent and I really like the colour scheme. It's one I plan to do myself using an old tin of Gloy RLM 63 that I found. Am I right in thinking it's more of a greeny grey?

Really looking forward to your finished build. Looks superb so far.

Steve

Hi Steve, yes its definitely a greenish tinge in daylight.  Model nice and easy to build; I followed the instructions for the roundel positions but I'm not sure they shouldn't be further outboard as shown on the box art.  Also I think the white wing tips might be bigger than prototypical but at the time I couldn't find any decent photos and I thought they looked better that way.

Cheers

Will

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

I followed the instructions for the roundel positions but I'm not sure they shouldn't be further outboard as shown on the box art. 

I think the positions look fine. I noticed on my 109C build that the wing crosses were placed further outboard than what we're used to. Looking through the pre-war Luftwaffe books I have, this seemed to be the more common placement until late 1939/early 1940.

• Like 1

All completed now.  It’s a nice kit and I’d happily do another Heller from that period.

50866444287_110b825380_b.jpg

I’ll post some more photos in the gallery tonight.

Cheers

Will

• Like 4