1/72 REVELL EC-135 AUSTRIAN POLICE

Good day to all. Here is my recently completed 1/72 EC-135 AUSTRIAN POLICE helicopter. This kit is a struggle to do especially the cockpit front glass (this is likely true to most helicopter kits). The build is 95% out of the box and the rest are scratchbuild parts to improve the kits original over scaled items. It was a constant struggle for me doing "tug of war" with the kits. The colour scheme is a challenge let alone the complexity of the decals due to its size and needs to conform to the fuselage shape. At the end I managed to "tame" it. For those of you who have build this exact kit then you will understand the short coming of this kit. I did minimal research on this subject and I'm not aiming for 100% accuracy (whatever than means) but to build it to my liking and standard that I'm happy with. Parts I have improved via scratch building includes the front canopy pitot tubes, thinned down both top and bottom wire cutters, replace wire cutter brace to scale, grab handles for engine maintenance and repair, rotor support, engine exhaust , all arials, 0.5mm tail navigation light (turned clear sprue) and the near impossible to scartch built wind screen wiper. Points to correct are the landing skids and blade rotation. I read somewhere that the tail fin is too high but I did not bother to correct this. I skip the windows black perimeter decals as I damaged it beyond repair and it makes the windows looks a tad smaller. At the end I'm happy that I finished the build. This was painted with Aclad, Tamiya acyslics, Game workshop and Vallejo. Sealed with Future/Pledge for the glossy finish of this civilian helicopter. Weathering is very minimal to non existent as this helicopters are kept in pristine condition. Enjoy and fire away with your comments.

GJaq1e0.jpg

mOPpTcr.jpg

VVFyILc.jpg

Note the improved pitot tubes

BIERfPg.jpg

The notorious scratch built windscreen wiper. Note the wire cutter blade support replaced to scale. Note the maintenance grab handles.

To0FX2h.jpg

mGuMAw6.jpg

Tail arials, painted white as per reference.

XIyScAe.jpg

ZzuyZ0Z.jpg

Front canopy blended to make it "seamless" to the fuselage

Yg3coCe.jpg

Tail navigation light. This was turned on my lathe using a clear sprue. The diameter is 0.5mm. Shot is taken using a Nikon 105 D micro lens at f8 with 1:1 magnification to show the details of the light as nearly impossible to see.

vNnxkUl.jpg

Birds eye view

QQuPOmE.jpg

WRene2h.jpg

LOTFV5e.jpg

RNbFWbW.jpg

mGuMAw6.jpg

Scale comparison with a Tamiya Acrylic paint bottle.

ytMNHPV.jpg

Edited by Heart Failure
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 2

I think that is superb!  A miniature masterpiece in detail and finishing.

So many times I have considered buying one of these kits at my local Hobby Shop (but resisted 'til now).

Your precise work is such an inspiration for me to reconsider (not that I could execute as well as your build).

:clap2::thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foxhandybread said:

Really great job, and the paint pot makes a really striking reference for the tiny scale of this model! Particularly love the upgraded wire cutters and aerials.

I'm waiting for someone to make an H175 now in this scale!! Might be waiting for a while though!

Thanks! Yes a H175 would be nice. I will definitely do one in yellow scheme. Keep our fingers crossed.

On 16/11/2020 at 07:50, Lord Riot said:

I wondered why the Austrian Police needed something like a Rivet Joint/Air Seeker!

That is a scary thought! Your local police with that level of surveillance!

Edit;

I wonder if Facebook would sponsor them? All that data they could harvest....

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Stunning build of such a small subject. The Austrian police scheme is much more attractive than the blue and yellow EC-135s and EC-145s of the National Police Air Service (NPAS).

Thanks!

On 11/21/2020 at 9:38 AM, James G said:

Looks sharp, very nice!

Great, Thanks!