De Havilland DH114 Heron Airfix 1/72

Eric Mc

This is one I actually started a few weeks ago whilst I was part way through my Hurricane build. It really is the polar opposite of the Hurricane regarding age and quality. Whereas that was a fairly recent and nicely engineered kit, the Heron is from a time in the dim and distant past when models were designed as glorified toys for kids to build and play with - and accuracy was not paramount.

The kit actually dates from 1959 (almost as old as me) but has recently been released under Airfix's "Classic" brand. As you can see, the Classic boxings have reverted to "classic" artwork although this painting is post Roy Cross. I think it first carried this painting when it was last re-released around 1993. In the Roy Cross era it featured an image of a Heron operated by Shell.
In fact, it has appeared in a number of different packages over the decades.

It comes with markings for G-AORG which was operated by Jersey Airways and was flying until recently in these colours.
However, I plan to finish it as a Queen's Flight aircraft and I have a set of appropriate decals.

Being of 1959 vintage, there are fit issues and a few damaged parts - but all is fixable. There is no interior passenger cabin detail (i.e. no seats) even though the passenger door can be posed open.
There is a cockpit with seats and even an instrument panel - quite advanced for 1959.
It also features oversized rivet detail which I have sanded away. Airfix had a tendency to overdo rivets although at this stage in their history they weren't anything like as bad as they got later.

As is my normal practice these days, I don't plan to add too many embellishments to the basic kit - just to try and make the exterior as neat and tidy as possible. As expected, there are plenty of gaps that need filling. I've already tackled the fuselage and am now working on the wings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I will be using on of the Queen's Flight schemes from the decal sheet I showed - probably the red one as it is very striking.

I used that combination, and it looks really good in red! My build was not that great though! I will be interested to see how you get on with this.

All the best, Ray

Looking good,..... the Royal aircraft later went to RAF Germany and had these titles added to the red Royal scheme. 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1133466

But it later joined the Royal Navy and bore their titles,...... still in the Royal red for the time being;

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1253048

I personally like the Royal Navy Admirals Barge,......

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/De Havilland DH.114 Heron C4

I`ll be following your progress with interest and wish you well,...... it should look amazing,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

I spotted yesterday that the Heron has four small intakes (?) above the passenger cabin windows on each side of the fuselage. These have been omitted completely by Airfix so they will need to be added somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Belated update.

Major components (apart from rudder) now attached. Priming done and ready for applying the main paint coats. I might re-prime first though.

For its age, it went together quite well.

And I've just noticed that one of my scratchbuilt air intakes above the cabin windows has fallen off. Time to make a new one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

The Boeing Clipper is quite a few years younger than the Heron. The Heron was first issued in 1959. I think the Clipper is around 10 years younger (1968 per Scalemates). The Trimotor also dates from  the late 1960s (1967 per Scalemates).

By the late 60s Airfix had moved away from the more toylike features they had been including in their older kits - such as moveable ailerons and elevators - or cabin doors that could be opened and closed.

Coincidentally I just bought this kit and a Scammell tank transporter in a fit of nostalgia from Mark's Models in Dublin. 

I agree about the rivets but they are very fine and easily swept away. This kit is the same age as me. But it has aged better and any surgery will be minor. 

I'll probably build it with the kit decals. 

In another nostalgic event, a Heron featured in an episode of Dempsey and Makepeace on ITV4 lately, remember that? I think it was in Topflight livery. It looked great. 

Nice! I'd like to see how you get on with this one 👍

I was rummaging the parts in my box the other evening and quite fancy giving it a go. 

I'm pleased to see that the flight crew aren't in crash helmets and mae wests! And there are passengers and an attendant too. Delete that, she's an air-hostess 😇

15 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Does your have a hole in the port fuselage just below the passenger cabin windows?

In answer to this, yes, mine does. Definitely looks like it's there for something but no mention in the instructions. A little piece on the sprues somewhere?? 

23 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I’m pretty sure the hole in the fuselage is a moulding flaw. I blanked it off and  filled it.

I think I'll do the same, Eric. There's no sign of it doing anything. 

Yet on the inside it's a perfect circle. But I noticed that on the starboard half at exactly the same point there's an ejection pin mark, very light. 

So may be an issue with the port ejecters? 

Anyway, no real harm done 👍