Vallejo Model Color Thinners

nheather

Do Vallejo make a thinners for their Model Color range.  Whenever I search for Vallejo Thinners I get hits for Model Air Thinners but nothing specific for Model Color.

Is their Model Air Thinners to be used for all their paint ranges, including Model Color, just badly named?

Cheers,

Nigel

I don't think they do any thinner for Model Color as they are intended for hand brushing and are already at the correct consistency for that. They make thinner for Model Air as it's intended for airbrushing, however I find it's already thin enough to use straight from the bottle..

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

I don't think they do any thinner for Model Color as they are intended for hand brushing and are already at the correct consistency for that. They make thinner for Model Air as it's intended for airbrushing, however I find it's already thin enough to use straight from the bottle..

My experience is that Model Color is pretty thick when new and thickens with age.

To get a smooth finish you need to thin down, either with water, or water seeping up through a wet palette or other thinners (the ultimate universal thinners claims to be compatible).

They do a thinner medium but not sure that is intenders as thinners as it is only available in small bottles.

Conversely, although they Model Air that they claim to be usable from the bottle, they do make a thinners for it.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, nheather said:

To get a smooth finish you need to thin down, either with water, or water seeping up through a wet palette or other thinners (the ultimate universal thinners claims to be compatible).

I use de-ionised water with a tiny amount of flow improver,  add some Model Color to a palette,  get a 1ml syringe,  suck up 0.95 ml water, then 0.05 ml flow improver, shake, then add a drop at a time till you get a easily brushable paint consistency. 

if MC thickens up in the bottle, add de-ionsed water.  

You may need to take the top off to give it a good stir, different colours vary in this,   add mixer ball to taste.

They do a thinner medium but not sure that is intenders as thinners as it is only available in small bottles.

do you mean the glaze medium?  That's just the clear acrylic binder,  use it for making washes.

Conversely, although they Model Air that they claim to be usable from the bottle, they do make a thinners for it.

That should work for Model Color, but just de-ionised water works fine.   I mention de-ionised as that's what I have, and works for me.   Been meaning to experiment with distilled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

I use de-ionised water with a tiny amount of flow improver,  add some Model Color to a palette,  get a 1ml syringe,  suck up 0.95 ml water, then 0.05 ml flow improver, shake, then add a drop at a time till you get a easily brushable paint consistency. 

if MC thickens up in the bottle, add de-ionsed water.  

You may need to take the top off to give it a good stir, different colours vary in this,   add mixer ball to taste.

do you mean the glaze medium?  That's just the clear acrylic binder,  use it for making washes.

That should work for Model Color, but just de-ionised water works fine.   I mention de-ionised as that's what I have, and works for me.   Been meaning to experiment with distilled.

Thanks for the info.

Vallejo have glaze medium

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/auxiliaries-model/glaze-medium-70596/

and thinner medium

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/auxiliaries-model/thinner-70524/

I think they intend thinner medium as the thinners for model color but seems an expensive way of doing it.  Your way sounds better.

Cheers,

Nigel

I use a wet palette when hand-brushing ModelColor, adding a drop or two of water if needed.  The glaze medium is some interesting stuff - Youtube has some neat videos on effects people achieve with this product.