P-47D Razorback 1/72 Recommendations ?

T-21

I have built a few..............

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/jugs-let-39-s-see-39-em-t8131-s50.html

and I agree the Tamiya kit is the best of all. None of them are really bad but @Work In Progress has the ranking correct. The Hobbyboss (bubbletop) is simplified but still looks like a P-47 and even the old Revell (bubbletop) kit can be scrubbed up - but why would you bother unless you enjoy doing that sort of thing!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't think that the old old Frog one was either

You are quite right. I have one of these but haven't made it yet 😝

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f210f-republic-thunderbolt--162049

I was speaking generally about P-47 kits but the OP question was indeed about razorbacks.

Agree with most of the above. Tamiya miles ahead of Academy and Hasegawa.

All others (razorbacks, as the thread applies) not worth bothering with.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Another vote for Tamiya, not worth bothering with anything else.

Same here. A few years ago, I would have ranked the Tamiya P-47's amongst the very best 1/72 WW2 fighter kits ever manufactured. Indeed, exceeded today only by a few things from Eduard, Fine Molds, and Tamiya themselves.

• Like 1

@T-21

Late to the party, but my partners in crime have it right- Tamiya, Academy, Revell, Hasegawa, but the Tamiya kits are light years ahead of the rest of the pack, and HLJ has the razorback and bubbletops in stock for $11.35 USD at the present time. Open the box, put in a tube of glue, shake the box well, and out pops a perfect Jug!

Mike

We have had several discussions on this topic with some detailed kit reviews/comparisons, if that helps. You could look for them.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 3:23 PM, Graham Boak said:

My old Revell kit was a bubble canopy...  Airfix wasn't, and I don't think that the old old Frog one was either.  Wouldn't particularly recommend any of them, assuming that you could get one.

When you say, "old Revell kit" you are not referring to this one - 

spacer.png

are you?

• Like 1