Kittyhawk Bombs

fishplanebeer

Just about to add the bomb to my Special Hobby  Kittyhawk 1a but not sure what colour it would have been during this period, 41-42 western desert, so any clues please? Also would the fuse be a silver colour or painted the same as the bomb itself?

Regards

Colin.

14 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Just about to add the bomb to my Special Hobby  Kittyhawk 1a but not sure what colour it would have been during this period, 41-42 western desert, so any clues please? Also would the fuse be a silver colour or painted the same as the bomb itself?

Regards

Colin.

British bombs were painted in the same colour schemes wherever in the world they were used. The RAF did not use many  fuzes  (fuses are used in electrical circuits!) most bombs were initiated using bomb pistols. These were usually brass coloured.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Not entirely sure what type of bomb is provided in the kit, it would appear to be a 500lb example with a square boxed tail fin arrangement, but bronze green seems to be the correct colour by all accounts so many thanks for this.

I'm no expert on bombs as I usually omit them from all my builds but the example in the kit definitely has some form of fuze(?) thing at the end so presumably, looking at the pics in this thread, it would be a different colour to the bomb itself, possibly aluminium/brass/bronze in colour? Also would the bomb have any markings on it as I've seen many with a yellow band half way along the casing, or would a good wash and weather do the trick please?

Regards

Colin.

Sounds like a US bomb which would be odd for so early a Desert aircraft.  Maybe later in 1942.  I'm not sure when US bombs started being made with lugs so they could be carried on both US and British aircraft - the US bombers carried their bombs mounted sideways whereas the British had them mounted vertically.  Clearly there were changes made for carriage on the later fighter-bombers - or indeed how they were carried on USN dive bombers.  So it isn't a simple matter.  If if is a USAAF bomb then it will have been painted in Olive Drab.

In which case I suspect it could be a generic/American 500lb bomb that SH have included on the sprues of all their P40 kits given the number of spares/not required parts that are included and highlighted in the instruction sheet. Sort of akin to KP and Sword with their Spitfire/Seafire kits respectively where a generic sprue set is used thus providing several spare/un-used parts.

As such it probably isn't correct for my 112 Squadron Kittyhawk 1a but it will now be the correct colour and I'm happy to use it anyway as it should add some additional interest.

Many thanks

Colin.

Yes it is a square tail US 500 Ib in the kit in Olive Drab, they were carried later in the North African campaign by 1a's , but in the time frame for this aircraft (shot down May 42) should be a round tail British 250 Ib bomb in Bronze Green

Thanks for confirming the origin of the bomb as being a generic American 500lb of a slightly later period than my chosen 112 squadron colour scheme, but as I don't have the correct British 250lb one in my spares box I'll stick with it and hope no 'bomb experts' catch me out when it's finally done. It should at least add a little more interest to the model even if the purists won't be happy.

Thanks again.

Colin.

On 16/11/2020 at 03:17, Graham Boak said:

the US bombers carried their bombs mounted sideways whereas the British had them mounted vertically.

I think I know what you are referring to here, Graham, but I feel compelled to ask what you mean by " mounted vertically "?

Chris

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I think I know what you are referring to here, Graham, but I feel compelled to ask what you mean by " mounted vertically "?

Chris

I thing Graham is referring to the way US bombers could have their bombs mounted internally. The release units were located on  the side of the bomb bays so when fitted the bomb lugs were situated at the 9 and 3 o clock position depending on which side of the bay they were on. 

Mounted "vertically" I assume means the bombs hanging off their lugs (lugs at the 12 o clock position). The Side location obviously does not apply to the Kittyhawk irrespective of what bombs were carried underwing.

Selwyn

Indeed, as Selwyn posted as I was typing, the bomb was mounted directly underneath the carrier.  On US bombers they were mounted sideways in the bay.  In both cases they can be said to be carried horizontally, as opposed to bombers such as the He.111 where they are suspended vertically in cells and fall out tail-first.  This allows for a more compact carriage (as long as the bombs don't get too big) at the expense of accuracy.