Broplan 1/72 ATR 72

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Nice to finally have a photo of the Shaolin Modeling Monk! But which is which? Or more properly, who is who? Neither resembles your avatar!

Edited by Space Ranger

You guys wanna chat on your own time? Kidding.

A marathon of masking and painting (a full day of masking) less time to paint but I'm fairly happy so far...decals would've been nice!

Here's some images of the work completed today;

1DuVbiq.jpg

q2BKxPR.jpg

wcIjXMD.jpg

8eK3oF8.jpg

LuiOg0o.jpg

Some of the masses of tape used here;

vfYUOUz.jpg

jo6EwDg.jpg

X95hKGB.jpg

gB8qOZD.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 14

Thanks folks!

I made up some company names and registrations (the reg's. are spurious because I lost a sheet of transfers.) Did I mention I used old sheets of dry transfer letters to get the names and reg's? Yup...that was tricky. I also borrowed a couple of escape hatch decals from a Amodel 1900 and the Canadian flags behind the office windows form a Matchbox DHC-6. The pimpin out is almost completed and detail work can probably begin soon (antennas, gear doors etc)

My references showed spoilers with a cross hatch on the upper wings. That looked like something I'd have to do;

zjaLkZP.jpg

n1vzCjU.jpg

the model as it sits right now, decals gloss coated and sealed 

811m93L.jpg

JRmMBxY.jpg

ZoaAauF.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 9

Thanks, very much!!

A while back...on another build (Twin Otter) I mentioned making my cabin windows from "Scotch Tape" by first laying a strip of tape on a easy release backing (Bare Metal Foil backing sheet in this case) So I took some pictures as I was making cabin windows for this model.

Here's the BMF backing sheet, with most of the bare metal foil used 

Sv1g5SJ.jpg

look carefully, a strip of Scotch Tape is on the left side of the BMF backing

fFUfrGV.jpg

here, most of the tape has been cut and used on the model, using this sheet doesn't mark the glue on the tape and leaves it very clear

5vn1Oa9.jpg

and, the tape cabin windows installed

BWEmQK4.jpg

vexzDpf.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

Thanks a lot!

I'm certain the positive comments helped carry on through the build!

final details have been added, all the ones I could think of, I'm sure I missed things but for now...

The gear doors came in for a bit of work, they are a complicated set of doors and bi-fold doors and flaps etc.

zZ0AaKd.jpg

new (folded) doors

ria6TCT.jpg

wing walkways marked out (decal stripe) 

kxCF7eQ.jpg

MHGImGI.jpg

Aaannnndd...ibidee ibidee ibidee  that's all folks

KtqA2Lj.jpg

KhkiBvV.jpg

Thanks for helping out with comments and encouragement along the way

• Like 8

Lovely! It's so exciting when these big boys come out of their masking tape and go ping. Congrats on an impressive and rare model. A couple of 1:1 ATRs flew over me today but I've never seen one in gentleman's scale.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, chrispisme said:

Thanks, very much!!

A while back...on another build (Twin Otter) I mentioned making my cabin windows from "Scotch Tape" by first laying a strip of tape on a easy release backing (Bare Metal Foil backing sheet in this case) So I took some pictures as I was making cabin windows for this model.

Here's the BMF backing sheet, with most of the bare metal foil used 

Sv1g5SJ.jpg

look carefully, a strip of Scotch Tape is on the left side of the BMF backing

fFUfrGV.jpg

here, most of the tape has been cut and used on the model, using this sheet doesn't mark the glue on the tape and leaves it very clear

5vn1Oa9.jpg

and, the tape cabin windows installed

BWEmQK4.jpg

vexzDpf.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the explanation, so you basically cu a thin stip slightly wider and longer than the window line and lay over the openings? I suppose it is sealed with a closscoat?

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Thanks for the explanation, so you basically cu a thin stip slightly wider and longer than the window line and lay over the openings? I suppose it is sealed with a closscoat?

Exactly Ray! Just trim it slightly wider than the window opening and your good to go.

but....no clear coat, the tape seam actually just kind of disappears quite nicely all by itself 

still looking at the Broplan Dassault Falcon 900 but waiting hopefully and patiently (a bit) from Amodel

• Thanks 1