Broplan 1/72 ATR 72

Ice shields. Since I sanded them off the DHC-6 to better represent the aircraft I was trying to build, I've decided I should add them to this model. The ice shields are offset from side to side relative to how the ice would fly when thrown from the props. Higher up on the port side lower on the stbd. side.

I've made mine using a template cut from a roll of post it note type tape (very low tack) transferred that template to .005" sheet styrene cut out and glued that to the model.

Here's the paper (tape) templates;

PdKGJx1.jpg

test fitting/tweaking the fit;

Mp1SOoG.jpg

stbd side glued in place;

E8iS7jH.jpg

port side glued on;

WOrUiSm.jpg

the fun continues, thanks for looking

• Like 6

A little more accomplished today. Empennage built up and seams filled. Beware anyone building this kit, the panel lines each side of the vertical stabilizer and top and bottom of the horizontal stabilizers are not symmetrical top to bottom or side to side. Much filling and re-scribing is need required to make the panel lines match from side to side...let alone accurate.

YXQRdm3.jpg

Kit flap track/followers on the left, sheet plastic (and resin) copy replacements on the right

1MQv2jS.jpg

Sponson painted inside and fitted, filler and sanding (the rule of this build) underway

2tMDn57.jpg

qg7khRE.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 8

Fascinating to watch someone doing something I could not do myself, but instead pick out nuggets of technique and approach for inspiration that may help me in my assembling.  Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

Fascinating to watch someone doing something I could not do myself, but instead pick out nuggets of technique and approach for inspiration that may help me in my assembling.  Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

I didn’t think I could build a vacuform kit either... until I did. Not that I’m any good at it... Don’t let them scare you, it’s a good opportunity to build something you may never get in I.M. form.

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Good to see you are overcoming the issues (self imposed and otherwise :D ) . I am also picking up some techniques

between Broplan and me it funny I’m this far along...

8 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

These builds from masters are something to follow for lesser souls like me.

Thank you, I wouldn’t consider myself a master...experienced yes, but not a master. 

• Like 1

All the airplane shaped parts are all finally in place, the upper rear fairing of the wing to fuselage joint is still taking filler and attention to fair in but I think that may be the last big job. I've begun adding some grills to the sponson and work has started on the main gear and wheels.

undefined

5huL3wk.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 8

Thanks guys!

I think most of the heavy lifting is done...I've started adding some of the details and some P.E. to the model. Nothing specific just caps vents latches etc. etc. just to busy it up where I can.

with the wing faired in, I've begun using Tamiya putty to sharpen up the edges. This is mostly a matter of add a thin smear sand, add a thin smear sand etc. 

6kvQ8wx.jpg

2uADFtr.jpg

the cargo door hinge stolen/borrowed (as is all the P.E.) from left overs from other kits

C9gUQ8j.jpg

scratch built flap tracks now (finally) glued on

QvKK4Tx.jpg

9VsnONb.jpg

becoming more enjoyable now that it looks like an airoplane and mostly over the hump.

Thanks for looking

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Really good progress. I think I need to build one of these just for memory of old days. So many times walking in as a last passenger from London connection at Friday Saturday night...

Thanks! I'd be quite happy to see someone else build one!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Really nice!  Your efforts are paying off.  What plans do you have for masking the windows to prevent overspray from fouling your nice interior?

Thanks!

Like the Twotter, I'm masking the cabin windows with PVA glue. I have applied that as we speak...(as I type I guess) Running with an idea that popped into my nogging while painting the  black  marks  for the cabin windows, I shot paint through the flight deck windows onto tape, stuck that tape to clear acetate (packing for a toothbrush) and cut out the window shapes, the result was not too shabby giving me nice clear cockpit windows.

here's the clear plastic with the painted tape stuck behind;

0swziW4.jpg

cockpit windows glued in with PVA;

BeXbVfQ.jpg

The kit wheels are.....yucky. So I cut off the oblong, lop-sided nose gear axle and replaced it with a brass rod which will be fitted with DHC-6 nose wheels sanded to a more appropriate diameter (smaller)

eab3mxk.jpg

The main wheels are even worse than the nose wheels, I found a couple of wheels in the spares box. The diameter is close, actually a little smaller with nice detail so I cast a couple more for the dual wheels on the main gear.  The real plane's outer wheels have a kind of hub cap over them, only the inners will need the details but they came out not too shabby either. The prop is also of my cobbling (firkytootling) the casting warped but I think I can straighten it out, or make another. 

PUVtVYi.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 7

Great technique on the flight deck windows!  Are you using Zap 560 Canopy Cement?  It works wonders--and I don't work for them or hold shares.  The tires and landing gear struts are strongly reminiscent of Mach 2 fare, and I'm glad you found similar diameter wheels in your spares box.  In pre-Covid days, our local club had several boxes of extra parts available for grabs at each meeting, and I dipped my hand in several times.  For my 1/72 Caravelle, I stole main wheels from two Esci F-27 kits obtained at bargain prices, and used the nose wheels from an Aurora DC-9.

• Like 1

Contrary to my better judgement, I'm still progressing on the ATR model, the main gear has come in to some attention and TLC today. After building a main gear leg up and dry fitting it to the model, I turned the model over to check the stance and the gear leg dropped out of place hit the floor and vanished...I searched for quite a while with no joy. I gave up started to scratch build another and dropped it as well! I was getting pretty frustrated looking for tiny little parts on the floor. My wife came to see what the commotion was (It's not often she hears furniture being moved in the hobby room) when I told her what had happened (twice) she bent down and picked up a part...the first one I lost! we never did find the second one. So, back to work and, here's where I'm at tonight.

Still needing brake lines etc. but back in this realm;

KMuiQ41.jpg

dry fitting;

xeikl25.jpg

Looks like an airplane with the props (just temporarily stuck on) in "hotel mode", prop. brake on on right side...🙂 this was the warped prop. I gave up and cut the blades off.

BVSiCJF.jpg

It'll eventually have two feathered props in place

Thanks for looking

• Like 6