Broplan 1/72 ATR 72

A bit more work in the office, may be able to close the fuselage...sorry, try, to close the fuselage soon.

I added some panels and decals to "busy up" the flight deck

9xH4HDh.jpg

tpQHnHk.jpg?1

SHPLnKT.jpg

Some tabs added to hold the office in place during the coming handling, filling sanding etc.

wwMU0KQ.jpg

yzY48lY.jpg

Test fit, looks like eveything still fits, the instrument panel cover is fitted as well (absent from the picture) needs flat black paint and that should be the last piece...?

bb0YzlY.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 9

On 19/11/2020 at 17:25, Moa said:

Amazing pace, and nice doing!

Amazing pace until the proverbial 7/8" combination flat spanner was deposited into the rotating inter-meshing cog wheel assembly resulting in an abrupt halt of all forward momentum and swift parabolic decent to the fascia....(I made a mistake, or Broplan did and I have had to take a few steps backward)

I finished adding the details to the flight deck and remembered to add some ballast;

2jhqLZ2.jpg

cabin internals added and glued in;

zD0z458.jpg

Fuselage sides joined up...Only to find the rear sections are different lengths, I do remember matching pieces long ago and thinking the mismatch could be due to a sanding the seam error, but it has turned out to be much worse. I had cut the fuselage pieces at the indicated areas and, the panel lines do line up but the front sections are of unequal length, resulting in a flying banana ATR if built he way it was made. Not the end of the world to be sure but will be a bit of undertaking, my cabin windows are all perfectly aligned side to side but adding or subtracting form side to side will create a bigger gap or smaller gap between the windows either side of the splice. I have a plan...it involves a 2lb hammer and block of cement...but that's plan B. My first attempt (Plan A) will involve making the short side longer adding a skin of sheet styrene and re-building the windows on the short side.

QWNztnj.jpg

1pI3se2.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The inexhaustible delights of frontier modeling.

Yep. You can always recognize the frontier pioneers by the arrows in their backs, or so my great granpappy used to tell me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  Impressive work on this, and your interior details are amazing.  Tell me how you intend to fit the cockpit "glass" and ensure it stays in place while you mask and de-mask it.  Thanks!

Alex

Alex, I plan on rough masking the openings either by rolling tape around the inside of the window frames or foam, and then painting the model...if I get that far in the build... 

• Thanks 1

Very impressive work on this kit!

And I have had an adventure with the air-conditioning in the ATR too!

It was beginning of the covid madness, very end of the January this year, I flew from Berlin to Warsaw. At first, just before take off, temperature on the board rised to about 40 C grades, it was terribly hot (in January - all the people were dressed in winter outfits!). Then, after about of 30 minutes of sweating, the A/C died (or has been turned totally off) so it got extremely cold and remained cold till the end of the trip.

Maybe nothing special, but of course we all got sick the next day and we still ponder if our illness was the first covid cases in Poland (there were groups of Chinese people in the Berlin Airport, and there were already several covid cases in Berlin then) or it was just faulty A/C on the airplane.

1 hour ago, GrzeM said:

Very impressive work on this kit!

And I have had an adventure with the air-conditioning in the ATR too!

It was beginning of the covid madness, very end of the January this year, I flew from Berlin to Warsaw. At first, just before take off, temperature on the board rised to about 40 C grades, it was terribly hot (in January - all the people were dressed in winter outfits!). Then, after about of 30 minutes of sweating, the A/C died (or has been turned totally off) so it got extremely cold and remained cold till the end of the trip.

Maybe nothing special, but of course we all got sick the next day and we still ponder if our illness was the first covid cases in Poland (there were groups of Chinese people in the Berlin Airport, and there were already several covid cases in Berlin then) or it was just faulty A/C on the airplane.

Definitely caused by the ATR, the Devil's Spawn of an airliner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

High heat, followed by intense cold, can be one of the indicators of a failing pressurization system.  Which airline were you flying on?  LOT?  They're usually better than that.

Anyway, nice build!  I'm glad you caught the difference in fuselage lengths before causing a "banana" effect.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrzeM said:

I have similar experiences with ATR, I don't know how many mornings I was sitting in ATR at Jyväskylä airport going to Helsinki and forward. In Finland they say ATR means "Anna Takaisin Ranskaan" = Send back to France

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not really following what could be called a logical assembly sequence, I've spent a couple of hours on the main gear sponson.

I'm keeping the landing gear locator holes as a reference point, may leave them alone for strength.

hPff6AK.jpg

UXhPjwi.jpg

wheel bays cut open and landing lights under construction;

V8mFJRm.jpg

some of the behind the scenes stuff;

qU77fKl.jpg

test fitting;

DFQVtx8.jpg

I think it looks better.

rYerBP7.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 9

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nicely done.  How did you cut that tubing (presumably for the landing lights) so neatly?  Is that a dark art?

Thanks, what looks like a dark art is just elbow grease. I cut the tubes with an Imp (short for Imperial tools...not affiliated with Star Wars) mini pipe cutter, glue them in place and sand to profile with coarse to progressively finer sanding sticks. I make my own sanding sticks with tongue depressors and auto body sanding discs. In this case I glued the tubes to the sponson with “loctite” brand CA. Roughed the shape with 80/100 grits then finer and finer until I could polish them with a tri grit Squadron polishing stick.
Although I have, in the past used my band saw to cut brass tube to a rough shape. The exhausts on the resin engines I’ll be using on this model will be an example of that.

thanks for the interest 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Soooo what was originally a dissimilar length in fuselage halves has been fixed (ish) and a new problem cropped up during re-assembly, my fault for poor workmanship. During reassembly I misaligned the rear halves to the front halves creating a step in the run of side windows oddly the panel lines are aligned. I have coped with the misalignment by adding a sheet of .005" sheet styrene above the windows on the port side and below the windows on the starboard side, re trimmed the windows square (ish) and am fairing in the scab patches with Tamiya filler. Will this never end?!

fitting out the rear section...again;

w37O02a.jpg

the misalignment, fairly obvious;

83VYT09.jpg

other side;

tkPIjKx.jpg

corrective work under way;

wCKo9dl.jpg

2tNMnPv.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 8

Still plugging away...A buddy in the local club suggested I am a glutton for punishment...Based on  this example, I'd have to agree.

however, moving right along...nav. lights installed;

vejo3Dt.jpg

before and after

hKk38sW.jpg

a bit of incentive, what it should look like if I keep at it;

JV010sB.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 8