Hi all,

As it says I'm after some help, this should strictly be in the cold war forum, but I figured there will be more Spitfire knowledge here. So, I'm building a Spitfire XVI (High back) that my dad flew post war, the kit I'm using is the ProfiPack Spitfire IXe, my first problem is it's not a Canberra so I'm a bit lost with the finer points, on the sprue you get two sets of elevators, one has a longer horn balance(?) than the other, the instructions say use part F.12 which is the one with the longer balance, is this correct for the Mk.XVI? I'm also having trouble getting my head around the construction of the exhaust stacks, it may be just me having some post Covid brain fog, or I'm just being thick but I can't work it out, so any pointers would be appreciated! 

Ta, very much

John    

• Like 1

For sure you want the kinked elevators (F-12) and the corresponding stabilizer parts (F-73/74/79/80). You also want to use E-7/8 for the engine cowling top: the XVI used a Packard-built Merlin that necessitated a slightly more bulged cowling to account for an engine part being on top rather than on the bottom.

As for the exhausts, they do take a bit of pre-glue fiddling. Start with parts G4 and G12. You'll see that G12 has two projecting pins and G4 has two small corresponding recesses. Hold G4 with the stacks on the left and the recesses upward on the right. Lay G12 on top with the scallops facing down (toward the stacks) and the pins protruding to the right so the ends go into the two recesses. There are small stops at the outer end of the recesses: make sure the ends of the pins go right to the stops. Apply glue along the pins and where the scallops meet the stacks. Once these two pieces are joined, you should be able to view it from the end and compare it with the end view diagram in the instructions. Next, attach G11, again applying cement where the scalloped edge meets the stacks, and compare with the end view. Part G44 goes on last; it should be pretty obvious by this point how it fits.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Seawinder
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Seawinder said:

For sure you want the kinked elevators (F-12) and the corresponding stabilizer parts (F-73/74/79/80). You also want to use E-7/8 for the engine cowling top: the XVI used a Packard-built Merlin that necessitated a slightly more bulged cowling to account for an engine part being on top rather than on the bottom.

As for the exhausts, they do take a bit of pre-glue fiddling. Start with parts G4 and G12. You'll see that G12 has two projecting pins and G4 has two small corresponding recesses. Hold G4 with the stacks on the left and the recesses upward on the right. Lay G12 on top with the scallops facing down (toward the stacks) and the pins protruding to the right so the ends go into the two recesses. There are small stops at the outer end of the recesses: make sure the ends of the pins go right to the stops. Apply glue along the pins and where the scallops meet the stacks. Once these two pieces are joined, you should be able to view it from the end and compare it with the end view diagram in the instructions. Next, attach G11, again applying cement where the scalloped edge meets the stacks, and compare with the end view. Part G44 goes on last; it should be pretty obvious by this point how it fits.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, yes very helpful, I've got it all together, it still wasn't easy but I suspect that was the trickiest part of the build, I can now press on. Thanks again.

John  

• Like 1

Heres a helpful  thread.. Edgar used to know Everything  about Spitfires  but he no longer us with us (Rest In Peace) but this is another person who may be helpful.

All The spitfire questions you want to ask here - WWII - Britmodeller.com https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952528-all-the-spitfire-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1