1/48 Su‐35s

Hewy

Great!

Have you decided in the pilot?

There is also a PJ productions one that could fit.

The Su-27 seat is also a K-36, but I assume a different sub model... headbox looks suspicious!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great!

Have you decided in the pilot?

There is also a PJ productions one that could fit.

The Su-27 seat is also a K-36, but I assume a different sub model... headbox looks suspicious!

I hope it doesn't look too bad werner ,the postman delivered the pilot and seat yesterday , but if he looks wrong or doesn't  fit I'm sure he'll  fit into a hobbyboss su-27,and I'll  search for that pj productions pilot 👍

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Wow Glynn. you're not messing around with this one are you mate!

Some excellent engineering and equally good modelling on show here.

Cheers craig, even though its a big kit the general fit helps it go together well and quickly, and not having the landing gear down , theres a lot of parts in the bays, the missiles are one piece items but the painting will slow me down a bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I hope it doesn't look too bad werner ,the postman delivered the pilot and seat yesterday , but if he looks wrong or doesn't  fit I'm sure he'll  fit into a hobbyboss su-27,and I'll  search for that pj productions pilot 👍

Great, already in the mail!

I am by far an expert on modern (or old) Russian ejection seats unfortunately, I am sure the real experts will chim in if required!

to me the more recent K-36D-3/ D-5 models have a more rounded head box.

the D-5 is supposedly the one for the Su-57, so not relevant here I assume

this one is called K-36D-3,5 ... not sure what to take from this!

muU5-uOjv-kWKy8AELQtgnFKCf5_ahC2Ehq50YL0

https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/the-museum-of-rd-pe-zvevda-jsc-named-after-academician-g-i-severin/wRgo-XRc

if you do not like the resin headbox, you could probably also swap it with the kit supplied one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

you do not like the resin headbox, you could probably also swap it

Thats a good idea werner!, with the canopy closed and tinted it could pass

I'll  build up the kit seat and compare 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great, already in the mail!

I am by far an expert on modern (or old) Russian ejection seats unfortunately, I am sure the real experts will chim in if required!

to me the more recent K-36D-3/ D-5 models have a more rounded head box.

the D-5 is supposedly the one for the Su-57, so not relevant here I assume

this one is called K-36D-3,5 ... not sure what to take from this!

muU5-uOjv-kWKy8AELQtgnFKCf5_ahC2Ehq50YL0

https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/the-museum-of-rd-pe-zvevda-jsc-named-after-academician-g-i-severin/wRgo-XRc

if you do not like the resin headbox, you could probably also swap it with the kit supplied one!

Wow the office looks amazing glynn.

I’m sure serge @Aardvark can you help you with the seat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

help you with the seat 

Thanks paul mate , the resin seat, and kit seat, (ive built it ) are the same in height, and incredibly similar, werner gave me an idea of using the kit and resin parts together, I'm  on it now , to be honest the resin  seat is pretty much a fair representation , a minor difference with the head box , not a lot ,I'm  going with it, but I'm  using the kits launch rails frame (cut some resin away ) and a bit of detail between the head box and seat and hopfully it'll  pass the test 🤞, i have saved  pictures so I'll  post up tommorow, 

• Like 4

On 11/20/2020 at 8:16 PM, Dansk said:

’m sure serge @Aardvark can you help you with the seat 

Not really.  K-36D-5 is indeed installed on the Su-35S:

http://www.zvezda-npp.ru/sites/default/files/styles/850x530/public/uploads/product_images/k36d_5_0.jpg?itok=L06ocEVz

http://www.zvezda-npp.ru/ru/node/118

the problem is that it is not on the aftermarket at 1/48. There is only a predecessor K-36D-3.5 from Metalic Details:

https://www.scalemates.com/ru/kits/metallic-details-mdr4838-k-36d-35--1220708

but I am not sure of its accuracy and do not know the required amount of rework.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CliffB said:

This is going to be one impressive beast.  The engine metallics in the 1:1 photo would not look out of place on a sci-fi build :popcorn:

It is a big un cliff, a bit of a shock from my dual 1/144 gunship builds, I'm  looking forward to tackling the bare metal engine housings though 

6 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Not really.  K-36D-5 is indeed installed on the Su-35S:

http://www.zvezda-npp.ru/sites/default/files/styles/850x530/public/uploads/product_images/k36d_5_0.jpg?itok=L06ocEVz

http://www.zvezda-npp.ru/ru/node/118

the problem is that it is not on the aftermarket at 1/48. There is only a predecessor K-36D-3.5 from Metalic Details:

https://www.scalemates.com/ru/kits/metallic-details-mdr4838-k-36d-35--1220708

but I am not sure of its accuracy and do not know the required amount of rework.

B.R.

Serge

Hi serge, I've  used the resin seat and pilot and cut off some of the rear of the resin seat and used the kits rear seat frame (launch rail?) And the kits head box,

The kits looked nearer to werners seat picture than the resin head box , 

I've nearly got the cockpit finished the seat is painted and installed, I've just got to paint mr pugachev's head and I'll post it up, I've been a bit distracted

• Like 4

A quick comparison before alterations 

Kit seat is on the left 

SjNVbQR.jpg

And the front veiw, again kit seat left

KTrm1Yl.jpg

The kit seat sits very slightly higher than the resin one in the cockpit

The tube part under the head box on the kit seat isn't present on the resin one so thats where it will be cut and transfered 

Cheers all

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

The kit seat sits very slightly higher than the resin one in the cockpit

The tube part under the head box on the kit seat isn't present on the resin one so thats where it will be cut and transfered 

Cheers all

i fI understand it correctly, the head box hight is adaptable to the pilots sitting hight (similar to the head rest in a vehicle seat) 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

similar to the head rest in a vehicle seat) 

Cheers werner, yes mate, but i wanted a simillar height in case  the head box came too close to the canopy top, with that in mind, after a  test fit with the seat in and canopy on its all good, 

Some pictures so far, the fit of the undersides,nacelles and wheel bays is all good

The bays haven't  had any of the internal parts fitted, as I'm  building it gear up,they will be transfered to a hobby boss su-27 box for another day

1J8tQVy.jpg

2CGYDfE.jpg

The two fuselage halves are test fit to check nothing fouls 

bOZ18uq.jpg

SjNVbQR.jpg

Kit seat vs resin

eAehbfc.jpg

Rear frame transfered to the resin seat, 

Head box fitted

RgIDu8p.jpg

Headless  Pugachev insalled

WwbsLNc.jpg

BR4RZj2.jpg

Cheers all

Glynn

• Like 10

At the minute time is rare,  but I've got the fuselage together and the undercarriage are doors on, more pictures soon , i couldn't  help myself and had to have a go at the bmf engines and exausts,  a big part of all of these su types  ,only done the basic paint so far , a wash,some clear blue and yellow  and oils  to be added

Cheers all

C2eCDJ4.jpg

Still some masking to do on the undersides ,and a lighter silver 

PtP154k.jpg

• Like 11