Hasegawa 1/72 Nakajima Ki-44-II Hei Shoki (Tojo)

This model is built from the venerable 1/72 Hasegawa/Mania kit and represents a Ki-44-II Hei Shoki, flown by Captain Yukiyoshi Wakamatsu, 2nd Chutai Leader, 85th Sentai, Canton, China, during the summer of 1944. I also used a very nice True Details resin cockpit that I bought years ago, but the cockpit opening is tiny and the canopy quite thick, so little can be seen of it - at least I know it's in there. There's a colour profile of this aircraft in Nick Millman's Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #100, Ki-44 'Tojo' Aces of World War 2, and I based the underside colour and the heavy mottle on that profile and used Print Scale decals to finish it. Paints are Tamiya, Gunze and Vallejo acrylics, and Humbrol enamels for details. The gun barrels are Master .50 calibre Brownings masquerading as Japanese 12.7mm. Macro photography certainly leaves nothing to the imagination - it looks significantly less dusty in real life.

y4mVMmdRvlp7thkj0QPI9v4y1MJ-LDau2MAHoumZ

y4mVJt9PzNuejgvQyqbXX_ytt-RWRDLHLZVH8PSr

y4mut83wDPPsKIdq4zCgUQenPh8sm-pvwz0C0gFj

y4mZVidScEY-2SkIi4FKSEzPJjYEZR0EwyXhXCUW

y4mQSxPfpAzkm7-gRzxRZqDrINSASpOx_X5_odKC

y4mvz491YeJMlkB0Fx8GoVW1Md8EacAwY9SIRrX_

Cheers, Jeff

• Like 40

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely looking Tojo, great paint job ! Buy an amazing co-incidence I’m currently building one myself, I never knew that this was a Mania kit.

Wulfman

I always thought it was ex-Mania, Wulfman, but it appears that Scalemates disagrees with me - they say new tool Hasegawa in 1972. Either way, it's still a nice kit.

Cheers, Jeff

This is a beauty too. I've long thought they are a strange looking beast. A thumping big engine with a tiny airframe struggling to keep up. I've got one in stock too, I do like that scheme. Something to check out. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hai! That is one very, very nice Ki-44! I know what you mean about the True Details cockpit, as the Ki-44 has got to have the smallest cockpit opening of any WW2 fighter. You did a great airbrush job on the mottling, and in your photos, it looks lot more like a 1/48 or 1/32  kit! 👍👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to all who have commented and reacted so positively about this Tojo. @72modeler @HOUSTON @MDriskill @Roberto @Epeeman @swralph @stevehnz @opus999 @Wulfman @Farmerboy, I've got to admit that it takes pride of place in my (small but growing) 1/72 Japanese collection. The Nick Millman book is a great resource for a wide variety of interesting schemes too - plenty more Tojos to consider building down the track.

Cheers, Jeff

• Like 2