Curtiss Hawk 75 L094 FINISHED.

TonyW

Two builds stalled on me recently, my Amiot and LeO. No sense letting it get to me, just break out another kit to be getting on with while I sort out a plan for the other two.

The rescue kit is Hellers Hawk 75. An early issue from the Mvsee series, in a first issue box as well! A collection addition of a better boxed kit, complete with sealed parts means the old, scruffy and opened one can now be built.

Here's the first box, the second slightly larger one and the black box version of the same.

The first issue kit didn't have a catalogue number, the second was L094 and the black box 214.

20201114-111059.jpg

Here's the rather basic parts, including the early small stand. The second issue lost this part. I'll be building this one gear up so I can use the stand as intended. The colour mini catalogue was also deleted with the second issue.

20201030-135005.jpg

20201030-135142.jpg

A start was made yesterday with a bit of basic assembly. Black for the interior, it's basic enough already and I don't want to get bogged down detailing. A period build is the way forward for me here. The kit reminds me of the early FROG P40 in its basicness, it's a kit of the sixties.

20201114-104024.jpg

And this afternoon saw more of the same.

20201114-112228.jpg

20201114-124552.jpg

The prop spins at the slightest breeze, which is nice!

The assembly should be done tomorrow. Paintwork commences as soon as it's dry enough to get a grip on the thing. I'll be following the first box scheme.

Tony.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TonyW said:

Two builds stalled on me recently, my Amiot and LeO.

Sad times! FWIW I found that setting my LeO aside for a bit and breaking out something a bit smaller and straightforward was just what I needed. Thunderbolt nearing completion, and I'm ready to get on the LeO again (and my Amiot is making progress, funnily enough.)

• Like 1

Yet another I will be watching as yet again started one in the middle ages but never finished it. Problem (self inflicted no doubt) around the Engine and/or Propellor from (very poor) memory. 

• Like 1

I'm enjoying this one a lot.

It's going together well, the fit is good all round and the kit parts, while not exactly state of the art, have a certain charm. Basic, in a good way.

This low level shot of the plane in bare plastic reminds me of forties American comics...

20201116-121622.jpg

... and a prop that spins is always going to get my vote!

20201116-122007-001.jpg

This morning it got undercoated in light blue grey from the Humbrol French set, which I intend to use as the dark blue grey as I think it works better. The darker colour was used on my D250 build and although it looks OK, I prefer this shade for the topside. The tail transfer got applied just to see if they were going to work. It went on faultlessly .A bit of poor printing that can be painted out was the only problem area.

20201116-123845.jpg

This evening it got hit with the two other cammo colours. Both Humbrol Authentics. The box top shows grey used. The instructions call for Ocre. I'll follow the first box top with this one. If I do another of these, I'll follow the black box version as that shows Ocre.

20201116-144603.jpg

Tomorrow should see this one well on the way to completion.

Tony.

• Like 13

Nearly there, guns, mast and front wheelwell metalwork to add plus a bit of paint touch up and it will be done.

20201117-131125.jpg

20201117-131226.jpg

A coat of satin varnish has darkened the finish a bit but I'm happy enough with it overall. I used Humbrol Chocolate for the Maron/ Brown called out in the instructions. Possibly wrong but it's done now. 

The transfers went on fine other than quite a big mismatch with the carrier film and the ink. The underside picture show this. I had to repaint the red areas of each roundel. I took the opportunity to fade the red a bit and I also repainted the white areas in gull grey to calm things down a bit.

20201117-140227.jpg

The Gallery can't be far away now...

Tony.

• Like 7

Only a couple of undercarriage parts to add now. I had to call a halt to let things dry, otherwise I would be stuck in an endless loop of glueing one bit on, while knocking another off. More haste, less speed.

No reason not to add a couple of snaps though. I quite like the one posed against the box picture. I'll have a go at a better version later. This one was just an experiment to see how it turned out.

20201118-151049.jpg

20201118-151119.jpg

This one is almost certainly going in the Gallery tomorrow.

Tony.

• Like 5

Despite the almost certainty of the build going in the gallery on Thursday, it's taken until today for that to happen. That will teach me to make rash predictions.

Here's the finished article, at last, complete with first issue box and Humbrol Authentics used for the finish. A very enjoyable build, done in my favourite, 1960's style.

G4.jpg

Gallery shots later.

Tony.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Well done Tony - another success.

My eye is drawn to the stand - is that chromed or just very shiney black?

Cheers

The stand has been polished with T Cut and then hit with my trusty S 'n J polishing powder. Chrome in a bottle!

• Like 1

Came out very well Tony.

Know what you mean about the greys - I have the old White Ensign Colourcoats version and I found that their "Clair" was pretty dark and their topside grey very dark indeed., so I used the Clair on top and lightened it with some pale blue (Bleu de Ciel) for the underside. I actually exchanged e-mails with them at the time and they were adamant it was correct, and no doubt they were right, but all the pics I have show quite a light bluish underside colour, and as it was my kit I went for what I was happy with. Can't quite remember what the Humbrol Authenics were like though I know I did use both of them.

Pete

• Like 1

• TonyW changed the title to Curtiss Hawk 75 L094 FINISHED.