Wingnut Wings AEG (late) night lozenge decal question

sanfrandragon

Hi all.  I'm building the Wingnut Wings AEG (late) with the shark mouth, and what a gorgeous model it is.  I'm at the fuselage decal stage and I have 2 questions.

First is the nose section with the shark mouth looks like it doesn't have the night lozenge decals, but is just plain dark blue (Tamiya XF-17).  Is this correct, or do the mouth decals and red paint just go on top of the night lozenge decals?

Second is it seems the decals will be translucent (its my first effort with these) and the instructions call out Tamiya XF-17 as an undercoat.  Is this recommended or would a lighter colour be better as it shows off the night lozenge pattern more effectively?

Many thanks for any help!

Going by what they have online http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3122&cat=4

... nose section does look to be devoid of lozenge, probably because this area is constructed of metal and not fabric covered?

I am guessing they chose XF-17 just to make it easier when it comes to transition from metal to fabric areas.    I would not know if the decals are translucent - if they are not printed over white ink, then changing to a lighter underlying paint would make a huge difference.

regards,

Jack

3 hours ago, JackG said:

Going by what they have online http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3122&cat=4

... nose section does look to be devoid of lozenge, probably because this area is constructed of metal and not fabric covered?

I am guessing they chose XF-17 just to make it easier when it comes to transition from metal to fabric areas.    I would not know if the decals are translucent - if they are not printed over white ink, then changing to a lighter underlying paint would make a huge difference.

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack.  The paint schemes without the shark mouth definitely have night lozenge decals on the nose, so I don’t think it’s to do with being made of metal.  The instructions clearly say no decals, but the art work is unclear.  I think I’ve answered my own question here, I’m going for a plain paint finish.

On the undercoat for the decals on the rest of the fuselage I’m still not sure.

Looking again at the sample artwork, only two aircraft have lozenge on the nose, the other two appears to just be mottled colour.

It's too bad the kit did not provide some extra decal so you can test how the lozenge looks under different painted surfaces.  You can always modulate the base colour somewhat to create a little variety under the decals.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Printed fabric lozenge was obviously used on the fabric-covered parts of the airplane, but some of the AEG bombers were painted in regular hexagonal lozenge-like pattern, which covered not only fabric, but metal and plywood areas. In the WnW kit there is also scheme with printed lozenge on the fabric areas and regular hex painted lozenge on the nose.

Plane with the sharkmouth has clearly non-lozenge nose, but - maybe the original lozenge has been overpainted during application of the individual marking - the shark's head?

Photo from WnW website:spacer.png

Edited by GrzeM

On 12/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, Bear Paw said:

Have you started decaling the fuselage with the lozenge decals yet Sanfran?  

Yes, I’ve just done the fuselage so far.  I first sprayed it with the underlying dark blue, then gloss varnish.  I applied the decals to the fuselage, except for the nose, which I left just painted, and applied the sharks mouth decals.

I used small amounts of diluted Microset and Sol, and also tried the heat treatment method with a hairdryer.  In general they have gone down ok, although with minute crinkles in some places that were too small to gentleman's parts and apply more Microsol.  In some places they don’t appear to have initially stuck to the gloss-painted plastic at all, but I have made a long slit with a knife and brushed Microsol underneath, which has worked ok.  Most of the deals had a 1-2mm overhang, which in some places I managed to bend round the edge with heat and/or Microsol, but in others I trimmed with a knife although the edge was a bit rough and unsatisfactory.

How are you getting on?

On 11/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, JackG said:

Looking again at the sample artwork, only two aircraft have lozenge on the nose, the other two appears to just be mottled colour.

It's too bad the kit did not provide some extra decal so you can test how the lozenge looks under different painted surfaces.  You can always modulate the base colour somewhat to create a little variety under the decals.

regards,

Jack

Thanks for your help.  I found the decals were actually totally opaque so any colour gloss paint could have been used, but I used XF-17 dark blue as it would blend in with any gaps in the decals, although there weren’t any in practice.

Also I found the kit does actually include some spare blocks of night lozenge decal for repairs etc.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 6:03 PM, GrzeM said:

Printed fabric lozenge was obviously used on the fabric-covered parts of the airplane, but some of the AEG bombers were painted in regular hexagonal lozenge-like pattern, which covered not only fabric, but metal and plywood areas. In the WnW kit there is also scheme with printed lozenge on the fabric areas and regular hex painted lozenge on the nose.

Plane with the sharkmouth has clearly non-lozenge nose, but - maybe the original lozenge has been overpainted during application of the individual marking - the shark's head?

Photo from WnW website:spacer.png

Thanks, I like your explanation for the plain nose, so I’ve gone with that.

• Like 1

Another question!

I’m trying to attach the radiator control rods.  In the instructions they are shown as going from a hole in the fuselage to an indeterminate attaching point on the engine, hidden by the cowling.

However there is no hole on the fuselage and as I have built the engines opened up I need a clearer attachment point.

I have seen some finished examples where the rod has been left off, or I could drill a hole, which would fiddly at this stage and just attach to a general part of the engine frame?  All suggestions gratefully received!

I’m now decalling the wings, but struggling to get them to conform to the concave surface shape on the underside.  They go down fine but overnight tighten up, creating a large air bubble.  The wings are gloss painted and I have tried with and without the hair dryer treatment but the result is the same.  Of course I can ‘gentleman's parts the bubble and use microsol but is there a better solution?

Oh, yes

This is a matter!

I had the same situation at all aircrafts. At smaller aircrafts. Therefore, I became very careful. In addition, did not use decals for so a big wing!

Therefore, I worked just at the underside first. Here to use MicroSet first, is good. I suppose it would be quite good, to leave them settle overnight. Moreover, continue next day to finish the underside with overlap properly.

Because of my experience with longenze from HGW I tell you: Every concave surface is the nonsense for any decal!

I have found that micro set is good to use by adding it to the water for the decals.  The lozenge decals only need to be immersed for a couple of minutes in this water. I then slide them off into the gloss painted wing with plenty of water on it.  I have found that Micro sol does not help or work with the application of Wingnut decals.  It reacts very quickly and makes the decals very soft straight away, this makes them impossible to position.  
When the lozenge decals are in place I then roll the water out of them with cotton wool buds.  This gets rid of the air bubbles I then continue with this with a hairdryer.  The heat helps stretch the decals in position.  I have found if you don’t use the heat the decals do not bed into position and don’t stick.  

AEG wings

• Thanks 1

The concave underside is the difficult thing.

With heat and softener you shrink the decal. And so you create a chord.

This is the situation.

Set may help.

The underside is the focus!

Happy modelling

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 22/12/2020 at 22:49, dov said:

The concave underside is the difficult thing.

With heat and softener you shrink the decal. And so you create a chord.

This is the situation.

Set may help.

The underside is the focus!

Happy modelling

How do you go about painting the hexagonal lozenge? Are there aftermarket hexagonal masks available? cheers!

11 minutes ago, JackG said:

Cheers Jack, I'm very tempted to purchase these for my WNW kits with the four and five lozenge patterns. What has your experience been with them? Do you know of any of the navy hexagonal masks available for purchase or would I have to go about masking this myself?

Not familiar at all with Lozenge masks, but have used Maketar brand.   They offer their product either in Vinyl or Kabuki tape - similar/identical to Tamiya tape.  The latter is better suited for curved surfaces, but also bit more expensive.

regards,

Jack

Hallo

I have home the Montex brand. All the time before, I was building too fast.

Working with them is actually quite easy. Patience is required, not included in the set. To scratch.

Before starting to get your colors required by mixing them and make ready in a jar.

I should be not a big issue.  You need a pile of patience.

Happy modelling 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could try getting an aftermarket clear decal sheet, painting sections in each colour and then cutting lozenges to apply individually, to represent painted lozenge, which would presumably be pretty nonuniform anyway