Multiple paint issues

wavodavo

I've got a few problems with paint at the moment. I'm trying to paint a RAF Medium Sea Grey but I have a few makes which are different shades. They are Humbrol, Revell, Hataka and Alclad II. I'm not too sure which one is the more accurate shade. The Alclad looks more like dark sea grey and I bought this as it didn't require thinning for the airbrush. The rest just seam too light with the Humbrol being the better but a pain to thin for the airbrush. Is there any better ones like Xtracolor?

Plus, the Alclad paint have loads of bits in it and keep clogging up the airbrush. Was trying to do some painting yesterday and got know where in 3 hours. Is there a way to strain/siv paint to stop any particles? I feel like resorting back to hand painting again as I seem to spend more time cleaning out the bloody airbrush every time I can't get the mixture right!

Dave

You can buy special mesh filters specifically for paint, or use some fine denier stockings, they work the same way. If you compare many different brands of the same colour paint you'll always find differences in shade. Maybe one is the perfect shade? Who really knows? If you take into account that on many aircraft you can sometimes have many shades of the same colour where it has been touched up-repainted, then they could all be correct. Personally I'd just go with whichever paint you believe is correct..

8 hours ago, wavodavo said:

They are Humbrol, Revell, Hataka and Alclad II.

paint numbers help.

Hataka do a specific MSG,  but how close it is I don't know. 

Revell will just give their nearest match. 

Humbrol also give their nearest match, but they do a named  MSG, 165,  which, AFAIK, is a decent MSG match.  That's satin, the matt was 64.

no idea about Alclad.

If you are enamel user,  use colourcoats.   

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-air

their boss,   @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies

is a regular poster, modeller and researcher, and is the only paint company who posts on here.   Their colours are all matched to the best available information on the subject. (note their Royal Navy colours are the result of making up samples from the original paint ingredients) and they use input from the most noted paint researchers as well as their own research.

Their paints are the best for matches, and are highly rated by enamel users.   If I still used enamel,  that's what I would buy.

HTH

My favourite paints are Sovereign Colourcoats and Xtracolor, both do an authentic looking MSG and both are easy to airbrush, just ensure that they are well stirred, I use a Badger battery stirrer for this, I then thin with Xtracolor thinners 50:50 and airbrush at 20 psi, both work a treat.

Cheers

Dennis