Soviet 120mm Mortar w/ Trailer 1/35

fpmeyer

spacer.png

The most efficient mortar of the Russian arsenal, in the era of WW2.

spacer.png

The 2-wheeled trailer was simple in design but very efficient, providing high mobility and speed in putting the piece in the firing position. The efficiency of the trailer also facilitated that the gun could be quickly towed or pushed by the men of the crew into a new firing position.

spacer.png

The kit is from Zvezda and comes with the oldest model of wheels, but can also be fitted with the wheels model 1942 (GAZ-AA truck wheels). This mortar model has a conventional manufacturing with parts consisting of pipe, circular baseplate and bipod. The Transport Trailer is based on a model that existed in the 1930s in the French Army, made of steel tubes.

spacer.png

The mortar is set for entry into the firing position. What the crew of the gun performs is similar to the process of the lever: Lowering the front of the trailer, remove the bipod and the mortar tube, then two trim members, holding in the carrying handle, lift the front Of the trailer, allowing the heavy base plate to be placed on the ground with minimal effort.

spacer.png

Once the base plate is fixed to the ground, the mortar assembly is quick: The mortar tube is attached to the base plate and to the bipod. It is in the bipod where the mechanisms of elevation and direction of the weapon remain. The aiming apparatus is not fixed in the mortar. It is stored inside the metal coffers, located between the wheels of the trailer, where we saw the cleaning rod of the mortar tube. In the other boxes, or metal coffers, they were used to store the tools, oils, cloths and other utensils necessary for the maintenance of the mortar, and in the case of Russian things, he had to arrange a space to store a bottle of Vodka, "maintenance "of the Russian gunners !!!!

spacer.png

The piece ready for firing. Zvezda has another mortar kit with the Russian trailer on the market (ZV3583), which also includes a German model ammunition trailer. A very interesting kit to put in a diorama.

Thanks for watching!

Fábio.

Edited by fpmeyer
  • Like 29

• fpmeyer changed the title to Soviet 120mm Mortar w/ Trailer 1/35

So efficient and effective that the Germans made an almost direct copy of it as the 12cm Granatewerfer 42, as well as using captured ones.  The ammunition was interchangeable.  The Zvezda set 3583 also has a nice German crew as well as the ammuntion cart.

Zvezda also do this mortar in 1/72 and GasoLine do the German version in 1/48.

BTW, the bipod legs would be extended outwards for firing......  Do Zvezda give you both?

Nice little model.

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading somewhere a brilliant Soviet WW2 propaganda slogan that went something like...

‘Every second German soldier has an iron cross - but every second Russian soldier has a 120mm mortar!’

Clearly a very important-largely forgotten weapon.

Nice model too!

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 10:51, Das Abteilung said:

So efficient and effective that the Germans made an almost direct copy of it as the 12cm Granatewerfer 42, as well as using captured ones.  The ammunition was interchangeable.  The Zvezda set 3583 also has a nice German crew as well as the ammuntion cart.

Zvezda also do this mortar in 1/72 and GasoLine do the German version in 1/48.

BTW, the bipod legs would be extended outwards for firing......  Do Zvezda give you both?

Nice little model.

Hi!

Yes, you are right: the legs are extended at the time of shooting. The zvezda kit has the mounting option: Piece nr.5 extended legs or piece nr.6 folded legs.

I appreciate your information, helped improve my post.😀

Cheers,
Fábio.

That's the M1938 mortar, later re-designated 120-PM-38.  It was still in service in a few places in 2016, maybe later - so not entirely forgotten. It could be used for any of the Arab-Israeli, Iran-Iraq and Gulf wars as well as Vietnam and Korea.

The improved M1943 "Samovar" was almost identical and became the WARPAC standard with the M1938 largely phased out by the 1980s.  Ir was further developed into the current, lighter, 2B11 Sani.  Being Russian, the M1938, M1943 and 2B11 have been widely exported and the M1943 copied by China. 

So there are actually many excuses for using this delightful little kit.  It can easily be an M1943, which looked virtually identical, but the 2B11 is quite different with new baseplate, bipod and trailer.  I believe the M1943 was later commonly carried portee in the back of a GAZ 66 truck with dismount ramps.  It could not be fired from the vehicle.

Notably, a class of weapon the UK has ignored since the 1941-vintage 4.2 inch (107mm) weapon went out of service in the late 60's.  An SP 120mm was proposed as part of the new Ajax etc recce fleet, but not taken forward.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

That's the M1938 mortar, later re-designated 120-PM-38.  It was still in service in a few places in 2016, maybe later - so not entirely forgotten. It could be used for any of the Arab-Israeli, Iran-Iraq and Gulf wars as well as Vietnam and Korea.

The improved M1943 "Samovar" was almost identical and became the WARPAC standard with the M1938 largely phased out by the 1980s.  Ir was further developed into the current, lighter, 2B11 Sani.  Being Russian, the M1938, M1943 and 2B11 have been widely exported and the M1943 copied by China. 

So there are actually many excuses for using this delightful little kit.  It can easily be an M1943, which looked virtually identical, but the 2B11 is quite different with new baseplate, bipod and trailer.  I believe the M1943 was later commonly carried portee in the back of a GAZ 66 truck with dismount ramps.  It could not be fired from the vehicle.

Notably, a class of weapon the UK has ignored since the 1941-vintage 4.2 inch (107mm) weapon went out of service in the late 60's.  An SP 120mm was proposed as part of the new Ajax etc recce fleet, but not taken forward.

Das Abteilung, Your Post was brilliant!

In my military days, I operated 60mm and 81mm mortars (both American). My unit even had it, but I personally never fired the M30 4.2 inch Mortar.

Well observed: These Soviet 120mm mortars are great for the modeler who makes modern militaria ..... many possibilities.

I want to take the opportunity and present my Dragon 1/35 kit, which is the German model of the Russian 120mm:

spacer.png

Good visit like that, you can show up more often.
Cheers!

Fábio.

On 15/11/2020 at 07:08, Geo1966 said:

An interesting subject beautifully presented. Can we see more of the Diorama please?

Hi!

Almost that. But in the first week of December, I will publish a city diorama, where I used the backdrop for the post of my jeep and trailers.

If you haven't seen it yet, take a look at the link below:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235081487-135-british-jeep-and-airborne-trailer/

See you later!

Fábio.